Author Topic: Matt Thomas [merged]  (Read 37193 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Port Adelaide's Matt Thomas likely to join Richmond (Adel. Advertiser)
« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2013, 12:42:18 PM »
whos the 2nd best tagger?

crowley is unique

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2013, 01:42:37 PM »

crowley is unique
Curnow does well against us  :scream.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2013, 01:45:44 PM »
If we pick him up when would we find out

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2013, 07:14:54 PM »

crowley is unique
Someone in our side that can keep the likes of Swan or Pendlebery to low numbers would make it a lot easier to beat Collingwood. That would be unique!

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2013, 08:01:44 PM »
would much prefer someone who can reduce their output, but then hurt them the other way.

crowley is unique

True. which is why it is a pipe dream expecting a hack like thomas to do what he does.

Crowly is that good at what he does, that I would have him in the side, but generally i would prefer accountable midfielders that can have a positive impact rather than just try to negate.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »
Didn't seem to hurt Freo with Crowley this year...

Crowley is a rare beast that can tag but also win the lion's share of his won ball.  He gets as much possession as a pure mid and there is really no-one in the comp who comes close to his ability as both.  I'm with Al, get a midfield full of good players and make it impossible to tag them all out.  Having a pure tagger in the team just reduces the effectiveness of your 22 and hands some control over to the opposition.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2013, 03:29:55 PM »

Crowley is a rare beast that can tag but also win the lion's share of his won ball.  He gets as much possession as a pure mid and there is really no-one in the comp who comes close to his ability as both.  I'm with Al, get a midfield full of good players and make it impossible to tag them all out.  Having a pure tagger in the team just reduces the effectiveness of your 22 and hands some control over to the opposition.
He averaged 7 kicks and 7 handballs this year. Hardly as much possessions as a pure mid.
But let me guess, you'll have some really good excuse for your ridiculous comment?  :thumbsup
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 07:24:58 PM by big tone »

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »

He averaged 7 kicks and 7 handballs this year. Hardly as much possessions as a pure mid.
But let me guess, you'll have some really good excuse for your ridicules comment?  :thumbsup

What comment did I make to ridicule anyone?   :huh

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »

But let me guess, you'll have some really good excuse for your ridicules comment?  :thumbsup

Yeah, those figures surprise me a bit, I would have thought he got more than that.  Just goes to show how much impact he has when he gets the ball I suppose because imho he is very effective as a midfielder in his own right.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2013, 05:02:31 PM »
Still plenty of room in the game for quality taggers, even if they arent offensive weapons. They just need to be able to win a hard ball when its their turn, which im sure Thomas is capable of. Thats not to say that he'l necessarily be a good tagger though.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »

Yeah, those figures surprise me a bit, I would have thought he got more than that.  Just goes to show how much impact he has when he gets the ball I suppose because imho he is very effective as a midfielder in his own right.
Don't you hate it when you try and bait someone and you stuff the word up. Idiot!!  :cheers

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2013, 07:35:05 PM »

Don't you hate it when you try and bait someone and you stuff the word up. Idiot!!  :cheers

Which word did he eff up?
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2013, 08:02:55 PM »

It's I that stuffed up. I'm the idiot I was talking about.  :lol

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2013, 09:30:42 PM »

It's I that stuffed up. I'm the idiot I was talking about.  :lol

OK, sorry, I really must start reading your posts.

:lol
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

the claw

« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2013, 09:45:22 PM »

Matty is probably good enough to be a decent depth player at a bottom 8 club. Sort of like he was at Port for the last 5 years. We're a top 8 club now and we can do better. Does give it a red hot crack though this lad

Serious question Coach:  would he be an upgrade on Lonergan as depth?
was just looking thru the thread and saw this.

who would be an upgrade on lonergan.  simple answer is just about any decent state league player who has a bit of pace finds inside ball  is a decent size and can actually kick. sheesh kicking the most fundamental skill in our game and most important and we continue to look at blokes who cant do it.
there are so many players on afl lists who quite frankly are not deserving to be there. and all this while many blokes  with far better attributes rot away without ever geeting a chance.