Author Topic: Matt Thomas [merged]  (Read 37427 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Re: Rookie pick 42 - Matt Thomas
« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2013, 02:35:45 PM »
At least he's an upgrade on Lonergan

Pfft ...hasn't even broken one Carlton collarbone....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2013, 02:38:42 PM »
Pumped him up full of a0d/tb4/horse drugs and he will

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Matt Thomas on SEN (audio and summary)
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »
AUDIO: Matt Thomas interviewed on SEN by Anthony Maher and Tim Watson ....

http://soundcloud.com/sen1116

Summary

* Sad to see Port finish the way it did but I felt I still had a couple of years of good footy left and it's great to get to Richmond.

* Richmond are ultra-professional.  The facilities are just fantastic - first-class!  Port had great facilities too but Richmond’s are that next level and really impressive.  The field’s even been redone and resurfaced and it’s those little things that make a huge difference. The people have been really welcoming, too. They’re just such a great club, really professional and they bend over backwards to help you out. So it’s really nice to be a part of that group. I’m really excited to go down to the Tigers and I’m looking forward to hopefully playing some good footy.

* Happy with any position; it doesn’t really bother me.  I’m just happy to be a part of the team and get the chance to play some more footy and see where it can go.

* There’s going to be a bit of midfield, a bit of half-forward and probably there might be a bit of bash-and-crash at times which is the type of footy I like to play. So hopefully there’s a role in there for me.  With the likes of the midfielders they’ve already got and the excellent runners it’ll just be nice to be able to slot in there somewhere and try and help them out and give the ball to Cotch and Lids.  I’m sure they’ll do something nice with it. So it will be nice.

* Dimma has been really positive and was one of the key influences to move. It wasn't easy as I've had to leave my girlfriend in Adelaide for a year as she is doing a course in paedietry. Dimma is helping with finding placements for her in Melbourne. We'll move her over next year. Dimma and I had a great chat along Punt Rd which was chockers; I haven't seen traffic like that for 8 years.

* Watson told Thomas to tell Dimma that it's not a good look jogging along way behind the players (laughs). Choco use to do that at Port so Dimma must have got it off him.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2013, 05:52:32 PM »
Sound like he is speaking as if he is already in the team, cant we only play Rookies as a rule for injured players long term?? What are the rules again??
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

dwaino

« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2013, 06:37:05 PM »
Sound like he is speaking as if he is already in the team, cant we only play Rookies as a rule for injured players long term?? What are the rules again??

Can raise 1 pre-season (or is it two now that we only have 38 on the senior list?), 1 for each long term injury, and 1 mid season.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2013, 08:08:37 PM »
He ll get every chance early on with arnot to snaffle tuckys posi
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »
Tuck didn't have a position more times than not

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2013, 08:29:30 PM »

Can raise 1 pre-season (or is it two now that we only have 38 on the senior list?), 1 for each long term injury, and 1 mid season.

So one or two may get elevated if they show something pre season, well it should be on then between the lot of em... :clapping

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Golfprotiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Risking Head and Shin
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2013, 09:16:15 PM »
One hard nut!
Tommy Hafey - "There's nothing more tiger-ish than a bloody tiger, a wounded tiger''

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Matt Thomas set to be promoted to senior list (Herald-Sun & The Age)
« Reply #204 on: March 09, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »
Richmond midfielder Matt Thomas set to join senior list for upcoming battle with Gary Ablett
Herald-Sun   
March 09, 2014 9:00PM

DAMIEN Hardwick will attempt the impossible — stopping Gary Ablett — by pitting his “human wrecking ball” against the reigning Brownlow Medallist.

Former Port Adelaide midfielder Matt Thomas will be central to Richmond’s plans as they take on the Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium on Saturday night.

It will be another amazing chapter for the 26-year-old rugged midfielder, who will be elevated from the rookie list on Tuesday.

The Tigers tried to get him in late 2012 but failed, with Thomas delisted by the Power last September then the following day winning the SANFL’s Magarey Medal.

Hardwick admits the Tigers will need to rotate as many as three players through Ablett, with the club’s best stopper in Jack Dyer Medallist Daniel Jackson (hip/groin) not ready for Round 1.

The Tigers said yesterday Tyrone Vickery (hamstring/back) and Trent Cotchin (corked calf) both pulled up well despite being subbed from the Essendon game.

On Friday Hardwick stopped himself halfway through reeling off the long list of Suns emerging midfielders, such is their potential.

But there is no doubt Thomas, who legally ironed out Essendon’s Dyson Heppell during the Punt Road practice match, is a contender.

“Is anyone capable of that role, stopping little Gaz?’’ Hardwick said.

“I think like most sides you have to rotate three guys through Gary, he’s such a capable player and will get his 25 to 30 (touches) anyway.

“It is quite amazing really, that a player of his calibre seems to improving season on and season on. He is meant to be going the other way but he seems to be getting better.”

Thomas will be elevated but Anthony Miles, Orren Stephensen and even Todd Banfield, impressive in the second half against Essendon, will fight for the one remaining rookie elevation.

“Yeah, (Thomas is) doing everything right. He is playing incredibly well at the moment. He had ten tackles and 25 touches and he’s a bit like a human wrecking ball, which is good to see,” Hardwick said.

Second-year small defender Matt McDonough, switched down back by Hardwick last year, will play only his second game after a Round 21 debut against Carlton last year.

The Tigers finally take on the Suns on the Gold Coast after a series of nailbiting Cairns clashes, with Hardwick in no doubt about the Sun’s midfield depth.

“They are good, you only have to look at (Dion) Prestia’s season last year, (Michael) Rischitelli is very underrated, O’Meara. I have got to stop talking about them. They are going to be a very good side, I just hope it’s not against us in Round 1.

Ablett missed the club’s last hit-out against Collingwood with a burnt hand, but will take his spot in the side.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-midfielder-matt-thomas-set-to-join-senior-list-for-upcoming-battle-with-gary-ablett/story-fndv8t7m-1226849573763
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:35:09 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Will destroy the christian

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Matt Thomas set to be promoted to senior list (Herald-Sun & The Age)
« Reply #206 on: March 10, 2014, 02:37:09 AM »
Mature-aged rookie Matt Thomas set to debut for Richmond

Jake Niall and Michael Gleeson
     The Age
    March 10, 2014

Mature-aged recruit Matt Thomas is almost assured of joining former Blue Shaun Hampson in making his debut for Richmond in the round-one clash on the Gold Coast on Saturday night.

The Tigers plan to promote Thomas from the rookie list early this week, suggesting the former Port Adelaide midfielder is likely to be included.

Thomas, 27, played just four games for the Power last year but won the Magarey Medal for best and fairest in the SANFL.

"We would expect [because he has done very well in the pre-season] to promote him from the rookie list," football operations manager Daniel Richardson said on Sunday.

The other vacancy on the Tigers' list for a rookie is between ruckman Orren Stephenson and former Giant Anthony Miles, who managed only 10 games in two seasons.

Stephenson may be selected as, due to a long-term injury to first ruck Ivan Maric, the Tigers have only one recognised ruckman, Shaun Hampson. They would prefer to play Ty Vickery almost exclusively in attack.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/matureaged-rookie-matt-thomas-set-to-debut-for-richmond-20140309-34fif.html

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2014, 04:14:15 PM »
 :clapping.....very good!!

"Rucks:

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2014, 04:57:46 PM »
Good on him. He's earnt it and been better than I expected.

Offline Golfprotiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Risking Head and Shin
« Reply #209 on: March 10, 2014, 06:07:33 PM »
Let's hope he comes through with the goods, Francis has been on the money on most occasions.....
Tommy Hafey - "There's nothing more tiger-ish than a bloody tiger, a wounded tiger''