Author Topic: Crows game  (Read 4511 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Crows game
« on: June 14, 2005, 05:23:07 AM »
Another bogey side this week  :-\. We haven't bet the Crows since that memorable rain-soaked match in 1999 when the boys sung the theme song in the rain in the middle of Footy Park. Macleod, Riccuito and Goodwin have killed us over the past 5 years. We always looked slow against them  :scream.

It would be good for change this week if we actually kicked the first goal or two of the game so we don't have to play catch-up footy for the rest of the match ::).

Amazingly if we get back on track and win on Saturday night we'll be back in the top 4  :o  :cheers.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Crows game
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 07:52:14 AM »
Terry should tell them that no win = no trip to Laguna for the mid-season break.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 12:13:28 PM »
Terry should tell them that no win = no trip to Laguna for the mid-season break.
Excellent idea in theory, a bit risky in reality however!

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 05:43:45 PM »
Amazingly if we get back on track and win on Saturday night we'll be back in the top 4  :o  :cheers.
:o :o :o

I spose I dont analyze things enuff - A top 4 spot is up for grabs after WCE MEL & GEEL take the top 3, but I doubt it will be us  :help
Sorry - Not bagging us but don't think we are at that stage yet - Be nice tho  :thumbsup

letsgetiton!

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 06:28:10 PM »
something tells me we will get a hiding sat night, esp if richo is out, but u never know, stranger things have happened

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 06:54:57 PM »
something tells me we will get a hiding sat night, esp if richo is out, but u never know, stranger things have happened

At least it will force our midfielders to look for other forward options rather than just bomb it to Richo with 3 defenders hanging off him! If Richo misses then stick Sarge at FF and go small around him.

If we do anything on Saturday night we need to start strongly and put some scoreboard pressure on Adelaide. I think it's been 6 weeks (Carlton game) since we kicked the first goal of the match.   

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 07:16:07 PM »

If we do anything on Saturday night we need to start strongly and put some scoreboard pressure on Adelaide. I think it's been 6 weeks (Carlton game) since we kicked the first goal of the match.   

At least on Sunday we kicked the first point :lol Although I think that set the stage for the rest of the game and our shocking conversion.

It will be interesting to see what the do with McLeod - he usually seems to cut us up buy if I remember right last season or the season before we tagged him out of the game.

It is the Crows lesser names that worry me - especially McGregor.

Schulz at FF if Richo doesn't play is a good option for us because I doubt that he'll get the Crows best defender which may be an advantage :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2005, 12:01:26 AM »
McGregor is having an awesome year for them since moving to CHF and would close to leading their B&F at the moment. Razor has a big job on him.

Offline Wacky Tiger

• Tiger Rookie
  • Winners MAKE it happen, Losers LET it happen!!!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 10:09:55 AM »
Very big match this week.  The Crows have a afew injury worried also with Brett Burton and Tyson Edwards very doubtful for the match.  Edwards is a very underatted player for the Crows and if he is missing it will hurt them big time.

Finally i get to watch another Tigers game.  There have only been about 1 or 2 games we have had televised locally here in Adelaide so happy to finally get to watch the Tigers again.

Thing is with Adelaide when you watch there games v Melb and Geelong if you stop there midfielders kicking goals and McGregor then you are half way to beating them.

Also Scott Thompson has been in incredible form for the Croweaters.  Really need to keep him in check as he also has the ability to kick 3-4 goals from the midfield

Offline Roar

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • Tigers to thrive in 2005
    • www.yellowandbBlack.info/ - Where true Tigers Roar
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 11:32:10 AM »

The last time richo was out Sarge stepped up with 6 goals v Brizzy at the gabba, so all is not lost specially if we can get the ball in quickly and have Deledio & Krak at the fall of the ball.
GO TIGES !!!                   Roar

Ox

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 11:38:22 AM »
Bring it on.
Can't wait. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Watch out for Johnson and Co (The Advertiser)
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 03:13:20 AM »
Watch out for Johnson and Co
By RICHARD EARLE
Adelaide Advertiser
16jun05

NATURAL-BORN tagger Robert Shirley believes Richmond's Kane Johnson-powered midfield is Adelaide's chief danger rather than the greasy Telstra Dome surface on Saturday night.

Tiger coach Terry Wallace has been a vehement critic of the Dome's slippery centre-square surface after ruckmen Trent Knobel and Troy Simmonds incurred groin strains in Sunday's loss to the Kangaroos.
Adelaide's super-stopper vividly recalled Johnson's carnage in a Crows guernsey. Shirley is primed to foil the Tiger skipper, who has averaged 28 possessions a game for the past five rounds.

"Yeah, there's every chance which will be interesting being an old team-mate," Shirley said of the potential match-up with Johnson.

"He's been in good form. I think he had 30 stats last week so I'll look forward to the challenge.

"I've played alongside him and know a bit about his game so that will be handy."

Richmond midfielders Shane Tuck (29) and Mark Coughlan (33) are among the league's top 10 centre clearance experts.

Shirley is tipping a titanic on-ball contest as Richmond attempt to beat Adelaide for the first time since 2000.

"He (Tuck) has been playing some great footy and is another one in the midfield who we might have to run with or look at tagging. On-ball they are a pretty good side so it will be interesting," said 61-game runner Shirley.

The departure of Tyson Stenglein to West Coast has left Shirley with the major negating role this season. He is not bugged by creative urges.

"It doesn't bother me too much. If it's going to get me a game every week I am happy to do it. I am pretty happy with the form so far and really enjoying the challenge every week," he said.

Shirley, 25, said appropriate choice of boots would negate any hazards on the Dome skating rink.

"It was basically fine the last time we played on it. I've got no issue with it - it will be the same for both sides," Shirley said.

"It is a slippery surface on top but hard underneath so most boys go with the screw-ins, which makes it alright."

The Tigers are destined to be deprived of their twin attacking force against the Crows with full forward Matthew Richardson fighting fluid build-up in his knee and goalsneak Nathan Brown out for the season with a broken leg. "It would be a big advantage - he's a great player and would be hard to match up on for us," said Shirley of Richardson, who has booted 35 goals this year.

Brett Burton did not train yesterday due to a quad strain and is in doubt to face the Tigers.

Fellow midfielder Tyson Edwards (leg soreness) also stayed indoors but is expected to play.

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/footy/story_page/0,8747,15628910%255E21544,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
OER's Preview Round 13, 2005 - Richmond vs Adelaide
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2005, 06:51:52 AM »
ROUND 13 - RICHMOND vs ADELAIDE at Telstra Dome. ("Home")

SUMMARY:

The Tigers come into this crucial almost season defining match at Telstra Dome tonight after 3 straight losses (the last riddled by atrocious skills) and with a number of our talls under injury clouds facing another hoodoo side the Adelaide Crows whom they haven't defeated since that famous rain-soaked match at Football Park back in 1999. The Crows themselves despite a narrow defeat last week to Geelong have like the Tigers surprised all pundits this year and stand one spot above Richmond in fourth spot with only percentage (albeit 20%) separating both teams. For the winner a top 4 spot beckons; for the loser the risk of slipping out of the top 8 all together in the coming months.   

PAST ENCOUNTERS:

Overall: 7-13 (lost last 7)

In the 00's: 0-7

At Docklands: 0-3

Last Time:

Round 20, 15.08.04. Away at AMII Stadium (Football Park).

Richmond 5.1 7.5 13.6 13.8-86   
Adelaide 3.2 8.5 14.8 21.12-138

Multiple Goalkickers: Richmond - Fleming 2, Richardson 2, Schulz 2, Weller 2; Adelaide - Perrie 4, Welsh 4, Ricciuto 2, Jericho 2.

Attendance: 35,896

KEY STATS AND MATCH-UPS:

DEFENCE: Richmond's backline had one of their poorer performances for the year last Sunday whereby a number of Tigers had a touch of the fumbles while Gas lowered his colours to Nathan Thomson. Tonight we come up against the Crows' inconsistent forward line ranked tenth in the AFL averaging 88 points per game. With midfielder/small forward Graham Johncock out injured Adelaide's goals have come through directing many rebounds forward through revitalised CHF McGregor pushing up into space. He or the receiving midfielders then in turn look for tall marking targets Welsh (21 goals) and Perrie (16) who last time both kicked 4 goals each against us. Last week against Geelong this fell down as the Crows overused the handball and gave Matthew Scarlett marking practice. Adelaide have also brought in Hentschel to add extra height to stretch us. In terms of match-ups Gas usually takes Perrie although I think he struggles sometimes on the bigger body types. I would expect Kellaway to be on Welsh leaving Razor to take Hentschel.   

MIDFIELD: The battle of the midfield will as in most games be particularly crucial as the Crows rely on getting the ball into space and linking up running forward via handball (number 1 handballing side). As mentioned they went overboard with the handball against the Cats. Goodwin (avg 23 possessions), Ricciuto (23), Edwards (21), Burton (19), ex-Demon Thomson (19), tagger Skipworth (18), Macleod (17) and another in-form youngster in Mattner (17) provide Adelaide with a strong midfield that gets their hands on the footy and despite being only ranked 11th in winning contested ball the Crows are 6th in the AFL in clearances. This is helped by their ruck division of Hudson and Biglands both averaging 16 hitouts per match.

Richmond on the other hand while averaging the same number of disposals as the Crows is ranked 2nd in clearances and winning contested footy through the hard bodied work of Tuck, Cogs and Johnson all averaging 23 possessions. I think Neil Craig will use Skipworth to tag Tucky as the Roos six goal in 12 minutes burst in the third quarter occurred when Tuck was out of the centre although it was our pitiful disposal and turnovers that changed the momentum last week.  Bowden (22), Tivs (18) and Cambo (18) are also getting their hands on the footy but they need to be more influential or in Tivs case less influential with the turnovers and more influential finding teammates. I'm still surprised Hyde at least isn't back in. We're 14th in winning the uncontested ball and as I've said in another thread we looked slow against Roos. How our ruckmen go will be interesting. Knobel and Simmonds suffered slight groin strains due to the slippery centre at the Dome. How these strains will affect them is unknown if they play. If they miss and with Stafford still struggling with his ankle that would mean Razor will have to ruck with Morrison taking over at CHB. We'd be at a major disadavantage if that happens after seeing Hall ruck last year. He's more a follower around the ground when he played that role under Spud. Losing our ruckmen would also take away from our ability to score from centre bounces at which we are ranked 4th. The Crows are ranked last in that area. 

FORWARDS: The Crows have always had a strong midfield but it was their weak bookends that exposed them. While the forward line is still "iffy" their defence has improved out of sight this year and has been a major factor in their rise up the ladder. Recent in-form additions in full-back Rutten and CHB Bock have strengthened their key backline posts while veteran Ben Hart has overcome injury interruptions that have plagued him over recent years. Ex-Tiger Jason Torney (avg 16 possessions) is also in good form running off half-back. Adelaide's defence is now ranked the best in the competition conceding on average only 72 points per game.

The Tigers go into this match with major queries over the fitness of a number of their talls. Richo, Stafford and Simmonds all of whom form "Terry's triangle" in our forward line are struggling to come up due to injury. Richo (35 goals) looks the most unlikely as he hasn't trained all week in an effort to rest his troublesome knee. Losing him on top of Browny's (34 goals) absence will mean a major restructuring of our forward with Schulz coming in at FF surrounded by smalls in Pettifer (18) and Krakouer (16) with Hilton, Campbell and Deledio rotating through there. In any case we must find our goalkicking boots again after kicking 10.20 from 62 inside 50s last week against the Roos.

OVERALL: With a number of our talls under an injury cloud and Adelaide having that extra bit of class in the midfield they rightly go in as favourites. It's going to take a committed effort from all 22 Tigers who take the field tonight to score a win for us. After last week's effort there'll be no excuses for anyone being not switched on mentally. With handball being a major part of the Crows' gameplan we need to up the ante with our pressure and intensity at the footy and the opponent with the footy to force turnovers ourselves and win the ball. Last week the Roos wiped us off the park in that area which was why we were the ones forced into turnovers. We only had something like 18 tackles for the whole game! The other question is where our goals will come from? Given Terry's emphasis on the gameplan not being reliant on any one player I'm hoping that like last week we still generate plenty of shots on goal but this week hit our targets so we don't give so many easy goals to the opposition and we ourselves kick the ball between the two big sticks.

THIS WEEK'S TEAMS:

RICHMOND

B:   Chaffey, Gaspar, Kellaway
HB:  Newman, Hall, Bowden
C:   Campbell, Coughlan, Tivendale
HF:   Pettifer, Simmonds, Krakouer
F:   Hilton, Richardson, Stafford
R:   Tuck,  Knobel, Johnson
Int:   Deledio, Graham, Jackson, Raines

In: Hilton
Out: Meyer

ADELAIDE