Author Topic: Andrew McQualter leaves Punt Road after missing main job [merged]  (Read 28869 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Andrew McQualter to take over as caretaker coach [confirmed]
« Reply #165 on: May 25, 2023, 02:40:16 PM »

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #166 on: May 25, 2023, 07:39:19 PM »
Just realised how young this guy is for a senior coach. Only 6months older than buddy Franklin and a year older than Shannon hurn.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #167 on: May 25, 2023, 07:45:44 PM »
Just realised how young this guy is for a senior coach. Only 6months older than buddy Franklin and a year older than Shannon hurn.
only a year younger than when dimma took over?

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2023, 03:26:23 PM »
Good luck reckon he will need it.

It could have been worse and Hardwick could have done  what the wce coach is doing along with their ceo and footy dept.

How on earth simpson has not fallen on his sword or been sacked just shows how deluded people at footy clubs can become.

Reckon Hardwick is a bit smarter than Simpson and can see the writing on the wall and has got out before it really turns ugly.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2023, 05:13:07 PM »
'Be yourself': Dimma's advice for stand-in coach in 'bittersweet' week

By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
26 May 2023

RICHMOND has turned its focus to Yartapuulti on Sunday after its emotional week farewelling Damien Hardwick, with interim coach Andrew McQualter saying the Tigers would be ready to face the in-form Power.

Hardwick's 14-year, 307-game and three-premiership era ended abruptly on Monday when he quit the club effective immediately, with the Tigers installing experienced assistant McQualter as their stand-in coach for the rest of the season.

McQualter, who will be a contender for the long-term position after a strong coaching CV over the past decade at the Tigers, said Hardwick called him to inform him of his shock decision following Richmond’s last-gasp one-point loss to Essendon on Saturday night.

"It was a crazy 48 hours. We made that whole day about him and as footy clubs do they move on pretty quickly. We got back to work and started planning for Port Adelaide," he said.

"It's a little bit bittersweet. We never like to see Dimma leave in these circumstances but I'm grateful for the opportunity. We've got an incredible coaching group so it's not just about me. We've got a group that's really experienced and we're going to batten down the hatches and do it together."

The former St Kilda and Gold Coast player said Hardwick had told him to 'be yourself' in the position, adding his time at Punt Road had made for a more straightforward transition in recent days.

"The energy from the group has been outstanding. We're really fortunate to have a great group of leaders and players. In a way I've had relationships with these guys, particularly the older ones, for 10 years and they've been incredibly supportive of me and the program," he said.

St Kilda coach Ross Lyon spoke this week of trying to poach McQualter for his coaching panel at the Saints last week, but the 36-year-old knocked back the advance. McQualter, who ran deep in Carlton's coaching process in 2021, said he was intent on staying at Richmond when his former coach came calling.

"I've spent so much time with this footy club, I love the players, I thought we still had a great chance of being really competitive which I still believe, and I was contracted to the footy club so there was no way I was leaving at the end of last year," he said.

"He can be quite firm and I have a lot of respect for him but he was completely understanding."

McQualter said he hadn't yet considered whether he will throw his hat into the ring to stay on as Richmond’s long-term coach as the club begins to embark on its process to find Hardwick's successor.

"I haven't even had time to think about it. At the moment we're just dealing with this week and trying to prepare the players for the game," he said.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/933210/-be-yourself-dimma-s-advice-for-stand-in-coach-in-bittersweet-week

Broadsword

« Reply #170 on: May 28, 2023, 11:39:09 AM »
I wasn't feeling like watching today but I'll watch for McQualter. Hopefully he's a smokey and we end up looking no further in our search. I'll put the disappointment of the week aside and be excited for him and the opportunity he's getting. :gotigers
« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 11:56:10 AM by Broadsword »

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #171 on: May 28, 2023, 04:42:32 PM »
Sorry might be early that game was a carbon copy of Dimma that's why we need to go outside our 4 walls his been there since 2014 need a fresh voice and someone not to loyal to our players.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #172 on: May 28, 2023, 04:53:13 PM »
Starting Pickett in the guts was a proactive move but it didn't work today as Marlion too many times tried too much rather than going for the first option.

Taranto seemed to get nearer to goal more like the way he played for GWS. That worked for 4 goals.

No Floss was a huge out today. Young is a liability in defence when the ball is loose on the ground in D50 :help. Rather give Biggie or Bauer a go in that role as they can play other roles too up the ground.

The rest was pretty much the same "meh!" especially our forward set-up and entries :help.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #173 on: May 28, 2023, 04:57:31 PM »
Young's a poor man's Thursfield.  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #174 on: May 28, 2023, 05:45:17 PM »
Starting Pickett in the guts was a proactive move but it didn't work today as Marlion too many times tried too much rather than going for the first option.

Taranto seemed to get nearer to goal more like the way he played for GWS. That worked for 4 goals.

No Floss was a huge out today. Young is a liability in defence when the ball is loose on the ground in D50 :help. Rather give Biggie or Bauer a go in that role as they can play other roles too up the ground.

The rest was pretty much the same "meh!" especially our forward set-up and entries :help.

Yup! Wasn’t thrilled with the same old same old 23 that’s been picked all season but was atleast hoping he’d move some magnets around. Pickett and Prestia spent more time in the middle but otherwise nothing changed. Anyway it’s just one week, if there’s no noticeable changes after a few weeks I’ll be a lot more critical.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2023, 12:52:03 AM »
Key Tiger backs McQualter to win Dimma’s job

Rebecca Williams
HeraldSun
29 May 2023

Richmond premiership captain Trent Cotchin has hailed Andrew McQualter as having “all the attributes” needed to become the Tigers’ next senior coach as he paid tribute to the impact of his flag-winning mentor Damien Hardwick.

As Tigers started their post-Hardwick era with a 10-point loss to Port Adelaide at the MCG, Cotchin backed the credentials of caretaker coach McQualter after his first game in charge.

Describing McQualter’s support and the delivery of his message during an emotional week at Punt Rd as “spot on”, the three-time premiership skipper said the long-time Richmond assistant had all the right characteristics to be Hardwick’s successor.

“He (McQualter) has been amazing ... he has been an incredible supporter for us, how long has he been a senior assistant for, seven or eight years,” Cotchin said.

“He is one of those people that has brilliant relationships with everyone across the club, he is incredibly emotionally intelligent and he speaks so well.

“The delivery of his message and so forth for the whole week has been spot on and I know that he has got an amazing team around him that are going to support him all the way through. So, we are excited about what that looks like.

Asked whether he could see McQualter as Richmond’s next senior coach, Cotchin said “absolutely”.

“He has got all the attributes a senior coach needs,” Cotchin said.

“And, again, probably has the humility to know that there are areas that he would like to grow in and that’s all part of the journey that they’re on.”

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/afl-richmond-v-port-adelaide-2023-all-the-latest-news-analysis-and-fallout/news-story/31c8cca005a226608cc6fed0d9c59d56

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2023, 12:56:12 AM »
No mention of his tactical ability there.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2023, 09:20:11 AM »
Unless McQualter has been frustrated and agitating for change like most of us I wouldn't consider him because he will just be a cheaper version of Dimma.

Although if he wants to be a sacrificial lamb while we tank for a few years that's fine.

Broadsword

« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2023, 10:21:53 AM »
He's got a free hit, so why bunt?

Make some changes. Freshen things up. At the same time, if there are obviously square pegs put them back in square holes -- i.e. Pickett on the wing.

FooffooValve

« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2023, 10:38:12 AM »
He did make one significant change that Dimma would never have done - Pickett tagging Rozee.