Author Topic: Richmond in Rio  (Read 2245 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Richmond in Rio
« on: October 14, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »
Good to see the boys are still in training!

Jackson looks bloody fit!

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2013-10-14/richmond-in-rio
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond in Rio
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 05:20:46 PM »
Video clips on the RFC website as well:

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-10-14/richmond-in-rio-welcome-to-rio
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-10-14/richmond-in-rio-beach-weights-and-samba

The players are hosted by local people and travelling to various areas of Rio with a Brazillian organisation called the Instituto Brasileiro deb Inovações em Saúde Social (IBISS). This organisation runs soccer programs in disadvantaged communities as a platform for social change.

During their jam-packed itinerary, the players will interact with different community groups.  They will take part in both AFL and soccer skills sessions and games, participate in workshops on health, well-being self-esteem and self-belief, as well as cultural experiences, including a visit to Sugarloaf Mountain and Geez the Redeemer and traditional music and dancing.

“We’re really looking forward to immersing ourselves in the Brazilian culture and, hopefully, learning a lot and taking some of that back to Australia,” Dylan Grimes said.

“We’re going to try to take back some information about how they’ve (IBISS) implemented their program, (to integrate) into our Korin Gamadji Institute upstairs at Richmond.”

Read more and the full article here: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-10-14/httpstwittercombarrettdamianstatus389617911762923520

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »
Love those Tiges T Shirts  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 02:46:58 PM »
Tigers experience the other side of Rio
richmondfc.com.au 
October 16, 2013

Richmond’s players in Rio de Janeiro have travelled well and truly off the tourist track to discover the other side of life in the Brazilian city.

A vibrant and diverse city, Rio has a population of more than 12 million people, with six million of those living in the poverty-stricken ‘favelas’ – the city’s slum communities.

Crime, violence and drugs are a major part of everyday life in the favelas.

After visiting some of the favela communities, Richmond player Matt Dea explained in his video diary that sport speaks all languages and, although the children living in the favelas have very few opportunities, some friendly games and interaction ensured meaningful connections with them....

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-10-16/tigers-experience-the-other-side-of-rio

VIDEO: Richmond in Rio favelas ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-10-16/richmond-in-rio-favelas

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Brazil picture special: Richmond players plan redemption for finals exit during cultural exchange in Rio

Jon Ralph
    October 16, 2013 10:00PM

EACH morning this week Dan Jackson and his teammates have pounded Brazil's beaches in the hopes of exorcising September’s finals loss.

By day they have plunged deep into Rio de Janeiro’s notorious favelas to foster links with street kids once actively involved in violent crime.

Nine Tigers including Jackson, Jake King, Alex Rance and Reece Conca, plus two teens from the club’s Punt Road indigenous institute, have taken part in an "alternate" football trip.

It is the third of the "Deepend" journeys organised by Melbourne leadership consultant Pippa Grange, and serves a dual purpose.

Not only will the Tigers return with a better understanding of the power of sport in positive cultural change, they will harden their bodies for the pre-season ahead.

Best-and-fairest winner Jackson said the shock elimination final loss to Carlton had him welcoming the coming pre-season for the first time in his life.

“It was a tough loss, but losing that game in front of that crowd of 96,000, it just left me with this absolute desire to get better and I know the team has the same burning feeling. We are not going to let that happen again," he said.

“If we had won that game people would have patted us on the back and we might have been content. Our year was certainly a success, but we have got this burning hunger. I have never looked forward to a preseason starting but I want to improve my flaws.

"There is a beach gym at the end of the street and the guys are out running on the beach. Kingy went and found a proper gym and paid to sign up. So every morning we train before we do everything else."

The Tiger players and assistant coach Wayne Campbell have linked with a series of formerly troubled kids from the slums in a project also being studied by RMIT.

Jackson says the daily incursions have been fascinating yet also incredibly confronting.

"It is all about using sport to get social inclusion happening.

"We don’t speak their language, we aren’t good soccer players, and we certainly can’t dance, but we have got this great rapport. We have heard these amazing stories about guys who led gangs and were involved in murders and drug dealing and now they are out of it getting schooling and playing soccer.

"We walked through a favela the other day with a guy sitting there with a towel wrapped around his shoulders and an AK 47 (machine gun) on his lap.

"There are lots of dodgy parts and we pulled over in one part and the group taking us through said you can’t bring in cameras. Someone had just been shot.

"These places are run by militia or drug cartels but they know the organisation we are with does such great work for their kids so they are allowed right of passage. They know they are helping their kids getting better health and education outcomes."

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale said the trip, part-funded by Karoon Gas, was the perfect eye-opener for his young leaders.

"Richmond is continually looking for new and innovative ways to develop its players and this trip to Rio provides them with a wonderful opportunity," he said.

Daniel Jackson and Alex Rance spread the Richmond gospel in Brazil. Picture: Lincoln Creak

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/picture-special-richmond-players-exorcise-finals-demons-in-brazil/story-fndv8t7m-1226741147887

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 06:32:24 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 02:35:24 PM »
A famous location, that has hosted a multitude of visitors from across the globe, experienced AFL football this week, with Richmond “taking over” Ipanema Beach in Rio de Janeiro.

Sharing a passion for sport, the Tigers swapped the Brazilians’ round soccer ball for a Sherrin football, and got to work teaching them some skills and drills unique to Australia’s own game.

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-10-18/richmond-in-rio-taking-afl-to-the-beach

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-10-18/richmond-bring-afl-to-ipanema-beach

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 02:38:03 PM »
Sounds like a very dangerous trip
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Rampstar

Brazil picture special: Richmond players plan redemption for finals exit during cultural exchange in Rio

Jon Ralph

EACH morning this week Dan Jackson and his teammates have pounded Brazil's beaches in the hopes of exorcising September’s finals loss.

By day they have plunged deep into Rio de Janeiro’s notorious favelas to foster links with street kids once actively involved in violent crime.

Nine Tigers including Jackson, Jake King, Alex Rance and Reece Conca, plus two teens from the club’s Punt Road indigenous institute, have taken part in an "alternate" football trip.

It is the third of the "Deepend" journeys organised by Melbourne leadership consultant Pippa Grange, and serves a dual purpose.

Not only will the Tigers return with a better understanding of the power of sport in positive cultural change, they will harden their bodies for the pre-season ahead.

Best-and-fairest winner Jackson said the shock elimination final loss to Carlton had him welcoming the coming pre-season for the first time in his life.

“It was a tough loss, but losing that game in front of that crowd of 96,000, it just left me with this absolute desire to get better and I know the team has the same burning feeling. We are not going to let that happen again," he said.

“If we had won that game people would have patted us on the back and we might have been content. Our year was certainly a success, but we have got this burning hunger. I have never looked forward to a preseason starting but I want to improve my flaws.

"There is a beach gym at the end of the street and the guys are out running on the beach. Kingy went and found a proper gym and paid to sign up. So every morning we train before we do everything else."

The Tiger players and assistant coach Wayne Campbell have linked with a series of formerly troubled kids from the slums in a project also being studied by RMIT.

Jackson says the daily incursions have been fascinating yet also incredibly confronting.

"We don’t speak their language, we aren’t good soccer players, and we certainly can’t dance, but we have got this great rapport. We have heard these amazing stories about guys who led gangs and were involved in murders and drug dealing and now they are out of it getting schooling and playing soccer.

"We walked through a favela the other day with a guy sitting there with a towel wrapped around his shoulders and an AK 47 (machine gun) on his lap.

"There are lots of dodgy parts and we pulled over in one part and the group taking us through said you can’t bring in cameras. Someone had just been shot.

"These places are run by militia or drug cartels but they know the organisation we are with does such great work for their kids so they are allowed right of passage. They know they are helping their kids getting better health and education outcomes."

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale said the trip, part-funded by Karoon Gas, was the perfect eye-opener for his young leaders.

"Richmond is continually looking for new and innovative ways to develop its players and this trip to Rio provides them with a wonderful opportunity," he said.

Daniel Jackson and Alex Rance spread the Richmond gospel in Brazil. Picture: Lincoln Creak

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/picture-special-richmond-players-exorcise-finals-demons-in-brazil/story-fndv8t7m-1226741147887

I saw the pic and thought poo Hartley has gone and wasted a draft pick to get back Richard Tambling  ;D

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
looks like a Mr Puniverse convention
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Jon Ralph

I saw the pic and thought poo Hartley has gone and wasted a draft pick to get back Richard Tambling  ;D
And Leon Davis' mini me.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 07:29:44 AM »
They will recruit them 2 runts for being the only 2 gangsters in Rio to bring some toughness to Tigerland. l hear they already have thiers numbers issued, 13 & 18  :santa

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame

Jon Ralph

:lol :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 10:38:44 PM »
Pippa Grange was interviewed on SEN this arvo while she was at Rio airport about to head home with the Richmond boys. She mentioned that she asked one of the younger Tigers (no name) what he took out of the Brazilian trip and he told her it was the proverb "Cometh the moment; cometh the man" - that you didn't have to be nor wait for one of the big names/leaders to make an impact and make a change no matter what the situation was.