Author Topic: Richmond confident its developing list has what it takes to surge up the AFL tab  (Read 2353 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Richmond confident its developing list has what it takes to surge up the AFL table
MICHAEL WARNER
HERALD SUN OCTOBER 23, 2013 12:00AM

RICHMOND has defended its lack of action at the trade table, declaring the club's list a work in progress.

The Tigers made just one move - swapping their second-round pick for Carlton ruckman Shaun Hampson (now pick 32) on the first day of trading.

Club legend Kevin Bartlett has questioned why they were not more active, believing they should have chased small forward and former Geelong star Paul Chapman.

But Richmond say it is sticking to a strategic list build, banking on work already done by list manager Blair Hartley to return them to the top four.

“Once the Hampson deal was done we were fairly confident that unless something came out of left field it wasn’t part of our strategy to make too many more changes this year,” football boss Dan Richardson said yesterday.

“We’ve got around 34 players that have come onto our list since 2010. So in other words we’ve got about nine players from 2009.

“We’ve been very active over the last few years and been through a period of significant change. This year was more about retention and stability.”

Trent Cotchin, Dustin Martin, Jack Riewoldt, Reece Conca, Dylan Grimes, Alex Rance, Nick Vlastuin, Brandon Ellis and Shaun Grigg all recommitted to the club this year.

“Our key players are relatively young and our list is young,” Richardson said.

“We targeted Hampson. We needed a bigger ruckman to compliment Ivy (Ivan Maric), which we were able to get done fairly quickly.

“Early in the year that was an area that we identified where we could do with some more support.

“Blair drove all of that. That’s his role - he’s in charge of our list and oversees our list management and strategy and recruiting.

“You identify a need. The need was a ruckman and then it was assessing who was around and who was available.

“We thought Shaun was probably always third in line or became third in line with (Robert) Warnock coming on down there.

“We identified that perhaps he lacked a bit of opportunity and at 25 hopefully still has some upside left in him.

“It might look like we’re doing nothing but it’s part of a clear strategy that Blair has executed pretty well over the last couple of years.”

The Tigers plan on using just three picks at next month’s national draft - 12, 50 and 68.

Richardson said the first selection would be used on the best available young midfielder.

Asked about Richmond’s interest in Greater Western Sydney midfielder Dylan Shiel, Richardson said: “Dylan Shiel obviously seems to be a very good young player, but like all these things, you’ve got to have something you’re prepared to offer that someone else wants.

“If you were GWS would you do it for pick 12? We didn’t make an offer.”

The club received no compensation for the loss of free agent Matthew White because of the size of the base contract offered by Port Adelaide.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-confident-its-developing-list-has-what-it-takes-to-surge-up-the-afl-table/story-fni5f9jb-1226744709252
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Still we lost Whitey and he was best 22. We should've picked someone up
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
The Tigers plan on using just three picks at next month’s national draft - 12, 50 and 68.

:banghead

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:40:42 AM by one-eyed »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Rampstar

:banghead

the fact they reckon that using 50 and 68 in this draft just shows the lack of ambition they have down there at Punt Road. They needed to chase a draft pick between 13 and 18 and get in another good youngster. Freo and Sydney in particular have always traded, we should have offered a Shane Edwards or someone of that ilk and seen what happens.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
My concern is that they identified only one one problem!
Surely the team has has more than one hole in it?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
What has me intrigued is the fact they are saying they are onLy going to be using 3 picks at the Nat draft but we are likely to make 5 changes to our senior list

Tuck, White, McGuane, Nahas, DerrickX

So are we planning 3 picks at the Nat draft, 1 at the PSD and 1 rookie promotion to the primary list  :-\

;D

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Glaring need for a good small forward.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
I'm sick of all the "why weren't we more active" crap! We were very active in 2003 and look where that got us! Sure we got Brownie (6 & 20) and Jacko (53) but we also took Marsh, Weller, Morrison and Fletcher!  :banghead

Hows that for being active!  :chuck

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
Was hoping we made a move for varcoe. We need pace now that white is gone. We realistically need white and varcoe on our list but we have none

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Locked and loaded we are

Forward line worked well last year who needs a small forward we have plenty

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
Asked about Richmond’s interest in Greater Western Sydney midfielder Dylan Shiel, Richardson said: “Dylan Shiel obviously seems to be a very good young player, but like all these things, you’ve got to have something you’re prepared to offer that someone else wants.

Well stuff me ! Is that how it works Dan ? Thanks for that pearl of wisdom  :banghead
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 10:41:04 AM by one-eyed »
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
What has me intrigued is the fact they are saying they are onLy going to be using 3 picks at the Nat draft but we are likely to make 5 changes to our senior list

Tuck, White, McGuane, Nahas, DerrickX

So are we planning 3 picks at the Nat draft, 1 at the PSD and 1 rookie promotion to the primary list  :-\

;D
WP, the other two inclusions are Petterd (promoted from the rookie to senior list) and Hampson (trade).

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

WP, the other two inclusions are Petterd (promoted from the rookie to senior list) and Hampson (trade).

Oops forgot about Hampson  :rollin

Has the Petterd promotion been confirmed? Certainly haven't seen or heard anything about it direct from the Club.

Suppose the other question is are we only going to be moving 5 off our senior list

And how many rookies are de-listing? We know The BigO is staying and so to is Darrou (rightly) what about the others. Rumours are Verrier is goneskis. But what about Lonergan, Willams and Simon.

Would keep Williams & Simon but I'd bye bye to Lonergan  ;D

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame

Oops forgot about Hampson  :rollin

Has the Petterd promotion been confirmed? Certainly haven't seen or heard anything about it direct from the Club.

Suppose the other question is are we only going to be moving 5 off our senior list

And how many rookies are de-listing? We know The BigO is staying and so to is Darrou (rightly) what about the others. Rumours are Verrier is goneskis. But what about Lonergan, Willams and Simon.

Would keep Williams & Simon but I'd bye bye to Lonergan  ;D
Nope hasn't been confirmed. Will depend on where our 1st 4 picks end up as to whether we promote him I'd say.

Apparently we are looking at making some pick swaps with GC today.

Verrier and Simon are gone. Williams definitely staying. Lonergan I think is staying.  :banghead