Author Topic: OER's 2013 Phantom Draft  (Read 15764 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: OER's 2013 Phantom Draft
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2013, 04:39:18 PM »
Update:

1. Greater Western Sydney - Tom Boyd
2. Greater Western Sydney - James Aish
3. St Kilda - Josh Kelly
4. Western Bulldogs - Christian Salem
5. Gold Coast - Matthew Scharenberg
6. Collingwood - Jack Billings
7. Brisbane - Dom Sheed
8. North Melbourne - Luke McDonald (F/S)
9. Melbourne - Marcus Bontempelli
10. Collingwood - Kade Kolodnashnij
11. West Coast - Dayle Garlett
12. Richmond - Nathan Freeman
13. Carlton - Cameron McCarthy
14. Greater Western Sydney - Ben Lennon
15. Sydney - Lewis Taylor
16. Geelong - Billy Hartung
17. Fremantle - Jonathon Marsh
18. St Kilda - Blake Acres
19. St Kilda - Luke Dunstan
20. Gold Coast - Eli Templeton
21. Port Adelaide - Trent Dumont
22. Brisbane - Zac Jones
23. Adelaide - Tom Cutler
24. Hawthorn - Matt Crouch

Next up:
25. Brisbane - tigs2011
26. Essendon  - wayne
27. Gold Coast - tigs2011
28. Brisbane - tigs2011

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »
Well done Striper.  :thumbsup I guess you weren't put off by the 4.2 Beep test?  ;D

Phew! I thought it was 3.2  :shh

No he's not a speedy wingman but just a natural footballer who just finds a way to extract the ball under any circumstance.

A bit Like Cogs I guess. But how would Mark Coughlan go in today's fast paced transition style footy?

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2013, 05:31:43 PM »
He'd be lukeball-like

the claw

« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2013, 07:35:24 PM »
18 - Blake Acres

19 - Luke Dunstan

Here at St Failda, we're excited to have grabbed the best 3 midfielders in the draft at 3, 18 and 19.

Blake shows huge potential in setting dwarves alight and Luke Dunstan is excited by the prospect of being photographed along side Nick Riewoldts sausage.

St Failda coach - Danny Frawley
sheesh  if this happened in the real draft i reckon the sainters would be wetting themselves with joy.
:lol agree. I rate them both top 10. Dunstan is very underrated in particular.

Pick #20 - Gold Coast - Eli Templeton - 182cm/75kg - Midfielder/HBF

One of my absolute favourites in this draft, Templeton is a highly skilled midfielder who can play multiple positions. Templeton seems to have dropped off the radar a bit this year and one of the major knocks on him seems to be that he's only 67kg. Funny thing is, he actually isn't. He's 75kg. No different to Aish, Kelly, Kolodjashnij, Z.Jones and many others that I can't think of off the top of my head. All the articles I've read on him say 3rd rounder and in this draft any club who gets him in the 3rd round has got themselves a bargain. I think he's one of the few players in this draft that could become an A-grader and would be happy with him at Richmond for pick 12.

Strengths: Templeton is one of the cleanest players in this draft pool. He rarely fumbles the footy, even under pressure. He has very, very high skill level by both hand and foot, which are only helped by his excellent decision making. Of all the midfielders in the draft, Templeton has one of the bigger tanks going around having run a 10:05 in the 3km time trial (7th) and reached level 15.3 on the beep test (4th.) This combination of elite endurance and a high skill level and decision making have seen him used primarily in an outside role this year. However, put a few more kgs on him so he can match it with the men and you will end up with a very talented inside/outside midfielder.

Weaknesses: IMO Templeton is a very well-rounded midfielder so there aren't a lot of weaknesses. He's skilful, he runs hard and although maybe lacking a little pace (not sure how he tested?) I don't think this is really a weakness more so that it's not a weapon he possesses. If anything his only real weakness has been his lack of size, though as I've mentioned I see it as a non-issue at a now healthy 75kg.

Why Gold Coast? Pretty much because he's best available. Whilst he's generally considered a pick 25+ I rate him 9th and would take him over Acres, Billings, KK, Kelly and Freeman. So at pick 20 I'm pretty happy with him.
watched a bit of him last yr great endurance good vision makes real good decisions and uses the ball well. whats not to like. size size and size.
if hes 75kg i will go heave.i cant see him putting on enough size to play inside footy at afl level. i cant see him performing any other role at afl level other than an outside role. i think size will always be an issue.
thing is hes played some footy against men and hes gone alright so who knows im probably wrong and letting my aversion to small skinny players get in the way of what attributes they do have.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2013, 02:36:29 AM »
Sorry for the hold up.

Pick #25 - Brisbane - Darcy Hourigan - 191cm/92kg - KPF - South Adelaide

Write up to come.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2013, 02:38:41 AM »
18 - Blake Acres

19 - Luke Dunstan

Here at St Failda, we're excited to have grabbed the best 3 midfielders in the draft at 3, 18 and 19.

Blake shows huge potential in setting dwarves alight and Luke Dunstan is excited by the prospect of being photographed along side Nick Riewoldts sausage.

St Failda coach - Danny Frawley
sheesh  if this happened in the real draft i reckon the sainters would be wetting themselves with joy.
:lol agree. I rate them both top 10. Dunstan is very underrated in particular.

Pick #20 - Gold Coast - Eli Templeton - 182cm/75kg - Midfielder/HBF

One of my absolute favourites in this draft, Templeton is a highly skilled midfielder who can play multiple positions. Templeton seems to have dropped off the radar a bit this year and one of the major knocks on him seems to be that he's only 67kg. Funny thing is, he actually isn't. He's 75kg. No different to Aish, Kelly, Kolodjashnij, Z.Jones and many others that I can't think of off the top of my head. All the articles I've read on him say 3rd rounder and in this draft any club who gets him in the 3rd round has got themselves a bargain. I think he's one of the few players in this draft that could become an A-grader and would be happy with him at Richmond for pick 12.

Strengths: Templeton is one of the cleanest players in this draft pool. He rarely fumbles the footy, even under pressure. He has very, very high skill level by both hand and foot, which are only helped by his excellent decision making. Of all the midfielders in the draft, Templeton has one of the bigger tanks going around having run a 10:05 in the 3km time trial (7th) and reached level 15.3 on the beep test (4th.) This combination of elite endurance and a high skill level and decision making have seen him used primarily in an outside role this year. However, put a few more kgs on him so he can match it with the men and you will end up with a very talented inside/outside midfielder.

Weaknesses: IMO Templeton is a very well-rounded midfielder so there aren't a lot of weaknesses. He's skilful, he runs hard and although maybe lacking a little pace (not sure how he tested?) I don't think this is really a weakness more so that it's not a weapon he possesses. If anything his only real weakness has been his lack of size, though as I've mentioned I see it as a non-issue at a now healthy 75kg.

Why Gold Coast? Pretty much because he's best available. Whilst he's generally considered a pick 25+ I rate him 9th and would take him over Acres, Billings, KK, Kelly and Freeman. So at pick 20 I'm pretty happy with him.
watched a bit of him last yr great endurance good vision makes real good decisions and uses the ball well. whats not to like. size size and size.
if hes 75kg i will go heave.i cant see him putting on enough size to play inside footy at afl level. i cant see him performing any other role at afl level other than an outside role. i think size will always be an issue.
thing is hes played some footy against men and hes gone alright so who knows im probably wrong and letting my aversion to small skinny players get in the way of what attributes they do have.
He was 67kg at the start of the year. Already put on 8kg. Needs to do the same again and he'll be fine. His shoulders are broad enough to handle it IMO. A club will need to be patient with him as I wouldn't recommend putting it all on this pre-season so he will likely start on the outside next year at state level and progress from there. Super talent.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2013, 03:28:26 AM »
Update:

3. St Kilda - Josh Kelly
7. Brisbane - Dom Sheed
22. Brisbane - Zac Jones
25. Brisbane - Darcy Hourigan

Next up:
26. Essendon  - wayne
27. Gold Coast - tigs2011
28. Brisbane - tigs2011

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2013, 08:48:22 AM »
26 - Zach Merrett - Essendon

Club: Sandringham Dragons
D.O.B.: 3.10.95
Height: 179cm
Weight: 76kg

We grab the brother of Jackson. Good little midfielder.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2013, 10:42:57 AM »
Pick #27 - Gold Coast - Jarman Impey - 177cm/78kg - Forward/Utility

A personal favourite of mine and a real excitement machine, Impey is a highly skilled player who can play pretty much anywhere you want him to. Impey is one of those types of players that often goes later in the draft than in hindsight they should have, so whilst I've gone early here at pick 18, I think I'll look back on this selection and be very, very happy with it. He's not your typical small forward as he can play midfield when he's struggling to get a kick as well as a rebounding half back. I don't think this kid gets enough love on here. I always laugh reading some of the drooling over Garlett on BF and other forums. This kid is everything people think Garlett is and then some.

Strengths: Impey is a superb athlete. He has a fantastic combination of speed and agility for when the ball hits the deck. Combine that with his fantastic leap and marking ability and you have the perfect small forward who can get the job done both at ground level and in the air. Those who know of my love of Walters from Freo well this kid is Walters with pace and a better midfield game. His kicking skills, whilst not elite, are still very good and he has a great goal sense.

Weaknesses: There aren't too many weaknesses to Impey's game. I think he could build a bigger endurance base and develop his defensive game further. Whilst he has the midfield game at junior level to overcome it, he can go missing in the forward line as all small forwards do and at AFL level his endurance will be a little way off playing much midfield.

Why Gold Coast? Best available. Also, outside Matera they don't have a small forward and this kid is something special.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2013, 10:43:45 AM »
Pick #28 - Brisbane - George Hewett - 185cm/78kg - Midfielder

Write up to come

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2013, 03:02:02 PM »
Update:

3. St Kilda - Josh Kelly
7. Brisbane - Dom Sheed
22. Brisbane - Zac Jones
25. Brisbane - Darcy Hourigan
26. Essendon  - Zach Merrett
27. Gold Coast - Jarman Impey
28. Brisbane - George Hewett

Next up:
29. Greater Western Sydney - tiga
30. North Melbourne - Rampstar
31. West Coast - Bentleigh
32. Sydney - Smokey

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »
Pick #5 - Gold Coast - Matthew Scharenberg - 190cm/87kg - Utility

Scharenberg is a classy utility who could be developed however GC want to. Was SA's best player throughout the Champs playing predominantly as a tall rebounding defender intercepting opposition attacks. Scharenberg has already made his senior SANFL debut in a pretty awful Glenelg side and held his own.

Strengths: Scharenberg is a fantastic size for a HBF at 190cm and is already a solid 87kg, which makes him ready to go for a side in need of a HBF. Scharenberg's main weapon in defence is his ability to read the play and his overhead marking ability which he uses to intercept opposition forward entries to great effect and then uses his high skill level to set up attacks for his own side. Scharenberg is also a highly versatile player and can play up forward and off a wing as well. His athleticism and size would allow him to play a 3rd tall defender role or more a rebounding half back role depending on match-ups.

Weaknesses: One of the criticisms of Scharenberg is that he can be a bit of a jack of all trades and master of none but he is very good in multiple roles and if developed well, he will become an A-grader. Just needs to end up at the right club. Another knock on him is his lack of exposed midfield form but that's just because he's such a good player off half-back IMO.

Why Gold Coast? He was the 2nd best player I had available but suited a much bigger need for GC as they are really lacking for a quality back flanker where as their midfield is already very deep so taking another here didn't seem necessary. If he turns into a midfielder it will just be a bonus for GC.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2013, 04:12:17 PM »
Pick #7 - Brisbane - Dom Sheed - 184cm/83kg - Midfielder

Sheed is the reigning Larke Medal winner despite not playing the last game due to a broken collarbone. Sheed is a talented and competitive ball-winning inside mid who just hates to lose contests. For mine, he's one of the most underrated prospects going around. He is already a very high level player. He wins a heap of the footy and uses it very well. He is another who has senior footy experience having debuted for Subiaco before his injury. Sheed has also shown some versatility where by he has played some footy resting as a forward where he is strong one-on-one and slotted 4 goals against Vic Country.

Strengths: Sheed is one of the best clearance players in this draft and his clearances don't go to waste as he is a very good user of the footy by both hand and foot. He is a very competitive player that hates losing and this shows with the ability he demonstrated up forward. What sets Sheed apart from the other inside midfielders in this draft is his decision making. He wins the ball in tight and doesn't panic, often hitting a teammate up in space by hand or when given the opportunity will hit a target on his trusty left boot. Sheed also has a big tank and can run all day through the midfield and rack up huge numbers. Finally, he is a player of high-character who has the potential to one day captain the club as well as being a ready-made player who could play round 1 next year and I think that is what Brisbane will want with all the players they just lost.

Weaknesses: Despite my high ranking of Sheed he does have his knocks. One is his apparent lack of speed, which I always thought was pretty rubbish and his testing time of just over 3 seconds shows that whilst no speedster, he's also no slouch in the speed department. His other knock is his lack of a right foot, which is a pretty accurate criticism of him but there are many left-footers with no right foot in the AFL and they seem to survive, so I think he will be ok in this regard but he will need to work on it so he doesn't become overly predictable.

Why Brisbane? Best available. Outside Boyd, I have Sheed as the next best prospect. He was absolutely dominant at Champs and has played some good senior footy. Sheed has already moved from Kalgoorlie to Perth to further his footy so the go home factor shouldn't be a real issue, which I think will be part of Brisbane's criteria for this draft. I think Sheed has future captain written all over him for Brisbane.

the claw

« Reply #133 on: November 08, 2013, 08:21:47 PM »
my top 3 picks in order was scharenburg, acres and sheed and you have taken two of em. >:( how many goddamn picks do you have. ;D

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2013, 02:35:14 AM »
my top 3 picks in order was scharenburg, acres and sheed and you have taken two of em. >:( how many goddamn picks do you have. ;D
Haha sorry. I have both Queensland teams. And Brisbane have no players left on their list.  :lol I still got 2 more before Freo pick again. Feel free to give me a list of names to choose before you can.  :cheers