Author Topic: Collingwood & St Kilda "blockbuster" night before Dreamtime at the 'G (H-Sun)  (Read 1482 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
ST KILDA will kick off indigenous round with a yearly reconciliation game against Collingwood celebrating club legend Nicky Winmar's legacy.

The Herald Sun understands the AFL will tomorrow announce the new 2014 marquee match-up, to be played on the Friday night of indigenous round.

The Saints believe the mid-June Etihad Stadium game will enhance the following night’s Dreamtime at the ‘G contest between Essendon and Richmond rather than steal its thunder.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-to-honour-club-champion-nicky-winmar-with-indigenous-round-clash-against-collingwood/story-fndv8ufg-1226749218271

Andy D - 'Let's give Collingwood a "blockbuster" prime time game every weekend'  ::).

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Will anyone show up? Pies fans are like us and don't go to Etihad and Saints fan have nothing to turn up for.  :shh

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Lol playing st Kilda makes it a massive fail. They should've done Cwood v Geelong
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Andy D - 'Let's give Collingwood a "blockbuster" prime time game every weekend'  ::).

It's amazing isn't it? How the league can go to so much trouble to give the impression of perceived equality, then punish a club like us who is starting to draw big numbers by limiting games against big drawing rivals yet give Collingwood even more props than what they had the year before.... :huh3
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

It's amazing isn't it? How the league can go to so much trouble to give the impression of perceived equality, then punish a club like us who is starting to draw big numbers by limiting games against big drawing rivals yet give Collingwood even more props than what they had the year before.... :huh3

Interestingly, it says in the article the one of the reasons for it is it helps other clubs (read struggling clubs) by making the Pies the away team a chance to make some decent coin

If that's truly the case (and I have my doubts) then I can understand the logic, doesn't mean I necessarily agree but I can understand it
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Talk about trying to white ant an event thats become bigger than the game itself , I'm disgusted at this :o
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
The only "Blockbuster" that people will be going to that  night is this one....

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
Eddie McGuire should step aside and admit Richmond are bigger than Collingwood and stop paying Demetriou millions to give Collingwood all the blockbusters and Richmond less blockbusters

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
the afl dont give a flying stuff about the indigenous round or indigenious players.

Its only building their brand which gives them more money or gies the pies more money

I reckon they were quietly happy poo went down last year with goodesy
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
On first inspection you could think that there is some sort of conspiracy theory around the McGuire/Goodes incident but I prefer to take that tack that Eddie is just a total and complete dong!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
the afl dont give a flying stuff about the indigenous round or indigenious players.

Its only building their brand which gives them more money or gies the pies more money

I reckon they were quietly happy poo went down last year with goodesy

Unless they share the gate Angus, the Pies will get nothing, it's scheduled to be a Saints home game  ;D

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Looks like the AFL are trying to 'share the love' in 2014. The ANZAC Day will be triple header now rather than a stand alone event too. Must be part of their equalization fund and probably also the other reason we are not playing other bigger clubs more because the AFL want us to draw the crowds and money to other poorer clubs. On the flip side this means we play most of the weaker clubs which hopefully results in a better draw.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Looks like the AFL are trying to 'share the love' in 2014. The ANZAC Day will be triple header now rather than a stand alone event too. Must be part of their equalization fund and probably also the other reason we are not playing other bigger clubs more because the AFL want us to draw the crowds and money to other poorer clubs. On the flip side this means we play most of the weaker clubs which hopefully results in a better draw.

ANZAC Day was a double header this year, game in Melb & NZ

Think the fact ANZAC day falls on a Friday next year is the reason for the triple header

Freo have played on ANZAC day before when it's fallen on weekend or Friday night.

But I agree Stripes looks like the AFL is trying to use the draw to help "prop" up some of the strugglers. Not sure it will work in theory if they (strugglers) are non-competitive. Think it will keep the crowds down

gerkin greg

Don't we play Freo on ANZAC Day weekends these days?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Don't we play Freo on ANZAC Day weekends these days?

We played Freo this year on the Friday it was the day after ANZAC day