Author Topic: The solution?  (Read 4193 times)

Online mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
The solution?
« on: June 01, 2004, 04:04:55 PM »
Some might claim the following is a defeatist attitude but given the way the AFL is set up now the following has to be seriously considered if we are to get out of this mess:

* 2004/2005: Preference to picking only those players who have a real chance of being part of a successful future in say 3-4 years time. That is to play our young guys who are physically capable and rotate them back to Coburg every so often to given their young bodies a break.

* 2005: New coaching and recruiting staff. Only survivor would be Greg Miller.

* 2004/2005: Finish down or a close to the bottom which will result in the next two drafts:

- 2 priority picks
- 2 early first round picks
- 2 more top 20 picks (our second round picks)
- 2 father/sons (our third round picks)
- 2 out of contract players via the pre-season draft. If we have the first pick we have a high chance of picking up a decent out-of-contract player.
- Plus we still the opportunity to trade (and free up some $$$ in our TPP) for higher picks (possibly second rounders. Would be very lucky to get a first)

* Criteria: Pick the best draftee available at time of pick.

That would mean by the start of 2006 (only a year and a half away folks) we would have added at least 10 top quality players to our list to go with the likes of Brown, Johnson, Cogs, Otto, Newman, Krakouer, Bowden?, Tivendale?. That's not forgetting that some of the kids we have now will come up as well. By 2007 (only 2 1/2 years away we could if we make the tough decisions) we could realistically have a very strong list and a top quality 22. Short term pain for long sustained success.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 04:10:38 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Re: The solution?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2004, 04:20:50 PM »
100% agree.

I'd go further and say trade away as many overated players as possible - such as Chaffey, Kellaway, Gaspar, Fiora, Rodan, Blumfield, Bowden, Hall etc.

What you outlined above is pretty obvious to all except the RFC.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Ox

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2004, 04:25:30 PM »
Sounds like another leaked memo to tha RFC MT. ;D

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2004, 04:54:23 PM »
I think we’ve all had enough of long-term pain for no reward MT, so short-term pain, for sustained success, sounds easy enough to deal with.

And I don’t necessarily think this is a defeatist way of going about things either, it just sounds logical to me.

* 2004/2005: Preference to picking only those players who have a real chance of being part of a successful future in say 3-4 years time. That is to play our young guys who are physically capable and rotate them back to Coburg every so often to given their young bodies a break.

Agree MT and just don’t understand why we aren’t giving some of our younger players more of a go.  Some may not be able to handle too many senior games at the moment, but I would at least like to see some given a real opportunity at this level.  For the number of games he played, I don't think Roachy was given a real go at any stage.

The number of times you hear players say how much confidence and belief they gain from getting more game time, rather than ten minutes here and there, should be enough to suggest that you need to give players enough time on the ground to see what they can do, even if they only play a handful of games.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Ox

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2004, 05:13:16 PM »
I
Agree MT and just don’t understand why we aren’t giving some of our younger players more of a go. 

Look at the bright side TS.
At least they wont be hacked out by spuds coaching
like most of our boys.

Offline Struggletown

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2004, 05:21:08 PM »
I believe that we must trade expendable players for draft picks,and lets face it we have almost an entire list of them.No more 4 or 5 year contracts for anyone,no matter what sort of season they've had.I would only trade for players if they are under 24 and we are not giving away our first 2 or even 3rd round choices.We must also put more emphasis on getting recruitment spot on as possible as we have done terribly as history shows,and junior development also needs more focus than present.
If we can nuture our next generation of players through quality picks we can reduce the wage bill and reward those in the future if they can cut the mustard.
No more highly paid cast-offs who don't bust their gut for the club..(eg Justin Blumfield)
Fortunately for us the system rewards mediocrity so theres no better time to start than now!
Drink,Drugs and Shagging models.
The rest l just wasted.
  George Best on where his millions went

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2004, 05:29:58 PM »
I
Agree MT and just don’t understand why we aren’t giving some of our younger players more of a go. 

Look at the bright side TS.
At least they wont be hacked out by spuds coaching
like most of our boys.

I rant on as it is Ox, don't get me started on this. :P
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2004, 05:45:02 PM »
I once saw this plan put up on PRE about 8-9 months ago by Rampaging Tiger. He doesnt post there anymore but I believe this plan has major merit. The possible acquisition of Travis Cloke in 2004 and Kym Monteath in 2005 makes the FS rule part very plausible. Ifthe plan works out correctly...our list would include

Brett Deledio and Lance Franklin- the top 2 picks from this year (at this stage only)
Travis Cloke and Kym Monteath
The Top 2 picks next year
Plus 2 more picks about pick 17 in each of this year and next
2 major stars from the PSD.

When you include the development of Jackson Gilmour and Raines...thats 3 more to the list..

So 13 potential players over the next year and a half...its sound plan...but do the RFC  have the balls to lose games whilst looking as though they want to win them!