Author Topic: Watters Goneski  (Read 5734 times)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Re: Watters Goneski
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »
Or Wallet

gerkin greg

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2013, 04:26:39 PM »
yes they did

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2013, 04:26:58 PM »
we could replace them pretty easily

nick lower and aaron davey are available

lol , why not hey Gerks ? We've already got the guru Andrew McQualter
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

dwaino

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2013, 04:31:01 PM »
Every time I saw Watters on a program or heard him on a show I always thought him a toolbag. Appears that was the case.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2013, 04:31:21 PM »
First Mark Neeld and now Scotty Watters, Metal Mickys disciples never worked out what works for Micky ain't going to cut it when you have their standing in the game.
Be interesting to see if it works for Micky of the Blues can't get it together and finish in top 4 next year.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

gerkin greg

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2013, 04:35:40 PM »

exactly and don't forget max bailey

rfc warehousing more coaching talent than a concentration camp, whoa

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2013, 04:37:58 PM »
hahahaha get rid of the entire club they are a disgrace.

People in glass houses shouldn't walk around in the nude
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 05:30:04 PM »
St Kilda president Peter Summers dodges questions about Saints involved in Scott Watters sacking

Sam Edmund
    November 01, 2013 4:41PM

ST KILDA has dodged questions over the role of captain Nick Riewoldt in the sacking of coach Scott Watters.

Watters left the club in shock after his contract was terminated following an 8am board meeting today.

Club president Peter Summers denied a rift between Watters and the players or football boss Chris Pelchen was behind the move, which came three weeks after Summers declared Watters safe following an internal post-season review.

"I wouldn't like to talk about specifics or his (Riewoldt's) role in this," Summers said.

"I'd prefer not to talk about who was consulted or who wasn't consulted but Nick Riewoldt, Lenny Hayes and Leigh Montagna are champions of this football club and in the business of football and I'd prefer to leave it at that."

Former Hawthorn champion-turned-football commentator Dermott Brereton slammed St Kilda's decision to sack Scott Watters.

"It's a pathetic decision driven by a certain section in the football department that is cancerous," Brereton told SEN.

"There's a lot of people with blood on their hands tonight.

"They are the most poorly led from the top club. It is the blind leading the blind."

Brereton suggested Melbourne was miles ahead of St Kilda in terms of development and list management.

Meanwhile, the Saints are on leave and Summers said they have been informed of the decision.

He said Watters had been told the reasons for his sacking but they would remain confidential.

"There's been a lot of media focus on the two personalities (Watters and Pelchen) and honestly I think you've overplayed it," he said.

He said circumstances had changed since a post-season internal review that resulted in Watters and Pelchen holding their jobs; Summers said three weeks ago "overall his review is an endorsement that we have the right people in the right roles."

He said today: "We said what we feel at the time, but as it sinks in and as issues emerge then issues become clearer.

"In terms of the issues themselves we met with Scott his morning and we went through the reasons with Scott but they will remain confidential between Scott and ourselves."

St Kilda coach Scott Watters has been sensationally sacked by the club just hours after publically outlining his plans for 2014.

Summers said he hoped a new coach would be in place for the national draft on November 21.

"We have approached nobody," he said.

"Chris Pelchen, our head of football, has been in football a long time and he obviously has a fair idea of who he has in mind, and so would other board members."

Summers said he was not aware of a radio interview Watters gave this morning when the board met.

"It's part of our commitment as a board, we will do whatever we have to do for ultimate success.

"This club is going through a transition, and periods of transition need to be done with a strong sense of purpose."

The Saints released a brief statement at 12.15pm saying: "The club can confirm it has parted ways with the senior coach.

Watters was seemingly oblivious to the looming axe as recently as this morning, appearing on radio.

"The challenges of our list is something that we share on a daily basis. Our list-management committee has done an outstanding job not just this year but over the last two years, we haven't really had top-end selections over the first two years I've been here,” Watters told SEN.

"... We know it's a challenging period but we're also really excited about the quality of player we've brought in.

"When a president sits with you and says we see you as a long term coach, that's enough for me.

"We need to stay really focused on what we're doing coaching-wise through what's a pretty challenging time. I won't deviate from that."

Watters took over as coach after Ross Lyon's shock defection to Fremantle at the end of 2011.

After winning 12 matches in his first year in charge the Saints slumped to 16th on the ladder this year with just five wins.

He pushed hard for a contract extension but the club opted against the move after a performance review conducted by board member and former player Andrew Thompson, amid talk of a rift with football boss Chris Pelchen.

"Andrew Thompson has led the review into football and identified some opportunities we can explore but overall his review is an endorsement that we have the right people in the right roles," Summers said three weeks ago.

"At the end of every season we review every department in the club."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda-coach-scott-watters-sacked/story-fndv8ufg-1226751203723

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2013, 05:30:56 PM »
Richmond football director Dan Richardson said the club had yet to learn of any interest in Williams from St Kilda.

"If they have any interest in Mark we have yet to hear from them, so we'll wait until then before taking it any further," he said.

"It would be premature to discuss it any further."

The Tigers had previously indicated to Williams it would not stand in his way if he was offered the Melbourne coaching job that ended up being won by Paul Roos.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-01/head-or-heart-decision

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2013, 09:48:09 PM »

My sauces are saying Dylan Addison & Jordan Gysberts as development coaches

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2013, 10:21:11 PM »
Not sure Williams would be that keen on any kind of "succession plan" involving him handing over the reins to Harvey after a set amount of time as has been suggested.

The only thing that really concerns is how it would effect Martin if Williams left - want two good years out of him before we send him and Jake the Muzz back to Little Beirut in exchange for Jeremy Cameron.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2013, 03:34:23 AM »
It was always going to end in tears for whichever coach took over from Lyon. The Saints' list was aging with no quality youth coming through to replace the core group that got them to three GFs. Lyon, as a career coach, knew the list was shot and smartly got out of there before the proverbial hit the fan. Their list needs a total rebuild from scratch and even now whoever takes over most likely won't see the job finished. As we know a total rebuild from scratch can take almost a decade and no coach will survive that long without any finals appearances. No one who wants to become a career coach will go near them even ignoring the cultural problems. The job is a coach killer.

As for the decision to sack Watters now, I'm not sure what was more a farce...

- That it was only 3 weeks ago a review into the footy dept. kept Watters on. If all this division and friction between senior coach and the rest of the footy dept. exists then it would have existed 3 weeks ago. Watters had been at the Club for two years so they would've clearly known what he was like and how he operated.

- That the coach was sacked in November without any plan to replace him.

- That the Club president yesterday gave one of the most embarrassing press conference of all time. He avoided giving any explanations to any of the questions asked. It pretty much went "no comment", "private matter", "no comment", "result of a process", "no comment", "hope we have new coach in a month", "no comment". Not that I care but if you were a Saints' member (god forbid), you would be expecting some explanation as to why your coach was sacked now. The sacking of any key personnel in a multi-million dollar business as footy is today and answerable to 35,000 members is not a private matter :huh3.

- That the Club waited until after the free agency/trade period to sack the coach that was used to attract and retain players. Would say a Montagna have stayed if he knew yet another new coach was coming in? Would a Longer have agreed to leave one off-field circus at Brisbane to sign up with an even bigger one if he was asked to sign up with a club without a senior coach in November.

What next for that Seaford rabble? Hire the Mad monday pyrotechnic dwarf or Kimmy the psychotic schoolgirl as their next senior coach? Seriously it wouldn't surprise me if they have to resort to a Spud Frawley/Robery Harvey "succession plan". No one in their right mind from outside St Kilda will go near them.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2013, 06:05:51 PM »
Been scratching my head thinking why now? 8 weeks after their season finished, the week before pre-season starts they sack their coach

Then as I was sitting in my office yesterday arvo, reviewing a set of accounts it hit me, thought to myself it wouldn't have anything to do with the date?

Then I read Caro's article and she mentioned it... So this cynical accountant might be right :whistle

End of financial year for footy clubs is 31 October, sack a coach before that date and the payout must be included in the result = 2013 result

Sack a coach on November 1st the payout goes into next years numbers.

Saints are reportedly going post a big loss this year another $400-450k on top could send it over $2mil. And the auditors wouldnt like that and would report an unfavourable opinion no doubt. Can be a host of other things that companies need to comply with it at financial year ends, eg banking requirements etc

Wonder if that had anything to do with it?

Yep I am cynically but it does happen

Whatever the reason they are basket case of the highest order

And BTW loved Dermie tirade, priceless  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2013, 03:23:35 AM »
Scott Watters set to pocket $500,000 payout following shock sacking

Sam Edmund
    November 03, 2013

SACKED St Kilda coach Scott Watters will receive a $500,000 payout from the club as Mark Williams firms as his replacement.

Watters, who has left for country Victoria to come to grips with his termination, will pocket the sum after he was fired on Friday with a year to run on his contract.

It's understood Watters was being paid in the vicinity of $400,000 to $450,000 a season by the Saints.

But, like most coaching contracts, it is an agreement bound by several performance-based clauses. Given the St Kilda board has made it impossible for Watters to achieve those KPIs next year, it is bound by law to pay them out.

It is unclear what clauses exist within Watters' contact, but it's understood that once they are paid it will take his payout to beyond half a million dollars.

St Kilda chiefs are expected to move quickly, settling the financial obligation by the end of next week.

Watters, 44, remains "raw" over the manner of his dismissal and despite denials by Saints president Peter Summers on Friday, Watters has told friends he believed he was "done over" by head of football Chris Pelchen.

But it's Pelchen's close relationship with Port Adelaide premiership coach and Richmond's current head of development Williams that has the latter a white-hot favourite to take the reins.

Williams and Pelchen worked together as coach and recruiter during the Power's rise to the 2004 flag. But the pair are more than former colleagues, with some saying they are best mates.

The Saints, who want to appoint their new coach before the national draft on November 21, would be heartened by the knowledge Williams and Pelchen can work well together.

St Kilda champion Robert Harvey is the romantic option and would win back member support, but he would appear a long-shot to get the job. Whether he is willing to return as an assistant remains to be seen.

Leigh Tudor, who is due to start as an assistant coach at North Melbourne this week, was interviewed by Essendon, West Coast and Brisbane in recent times and is also a contender.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/scott-watters-set-to-pocket-500000-payout-following-shock-sacking/story-fnelctok-1226751898277

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »
3AW Sports Today ‏@3AWSportsToday twitter:

"Richmond may have to find a replacement for Mark Williams who the Saints are going after"

So it appears the Aints havent got a replacement lined up

Reckon they will be going after lots of blokes. Not sure how many would want the job

Perhaps they should bring back Grant Thomas  ;D

Or make big Nick  :'( Reiwoldt Captain-Coach  ;D

The possibilities are endless  :rollin

They are trying to bring Thomas back in a role. He was actually a good coach you know. He turned that club around only for Lyon to come in and leave their list in chaos
Problem for Thomas is they just used 2 high draft picks on young rucks so he'd have to play them.  :lol