Author Topic: Nathan Gordon [merged]  (Read 20863 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick 50: Nathan Gordon
« Reply #195 on: April 23, 2014, 10:33:50 AM »
Much bigger test for him against the Hawk runners this week.

Online Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #196 on: April 23, 2014, 11:19:52 AM »
Deserves a full game this week but I reckon the club reckon he is our "supersub" which is rubbish.  Given his endurance, he'd be one of our few blokes that could run a game out.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #197 on: April 23, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »
deserves 4q , I see flash as a Jack darling brad pearce type of tall med forward with a bagful of tricks, just let him loose  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #198 on: April 23, 2014, 01:31:46 PM »
To be honest this bloke hasn't shown if he's even any good. He's just been slightly less poo than your favourite whipping boys, so you're pumping him up.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #199 on: April 23, 2014, 01:55:52 PM »
Have you watched the last few games coach, take a peek first, agreed it's early days but by gee he has some good qualities
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2014, 03:41:20 PM »
I'm with coach on this. Lets see how he stacks up after we play the Hawks and Cats. Whenever we are struggling we tend to go off early on players who eventually amount to nothing. They stand out initially because the players around them are out of form and not as hungry for the ball. Gordon has shown ability, I just need to see if he can do it consistently and against a tougher opposition than the Lions. I'd also put Lloyd in the same boat.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2014, 04:39:03 PM »
Gordon and llyod will struggle,to,show their abilities from the sub position

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #202 on: April 23, 2014, 05:40:34 PM »
He looked good on the lead in the last quarter and took a nice grab. As simple as that sounds not everyone can do it.
The other option other than forward for Gordon IMO could be a lockdown tagger. Great endurance by the sounds of it, really hard at it, but has he got the mental application?
We desperately need one. 

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »
He looked good on the lead in the last quarter and took a nice grab. As simple as that sounds not everyone can do it.

There's actually a role there for him just doing that if he can. We have been looking for a lead up HF. Might take the role Knights was earmarked for.

the claw

« Reply #204 on: April 26, 2014, 10:59:09 PM »
its typical of us. we put our players up on pedestals as soon as they show anything.  i suppose 32 yrs of almost exclusively mediocre players thru the door does that to ya.

seems to me with both gordon and lloyd we may have found some decent foot soldiers nothing more nothing less. thing is we need to play em all yr and likely all next yr to really see what we have.
it aint hard to look better than many of the glass half fulls who get regular games that in itself is a problem.
club desperately imo needs to address some real list weaknesses as far as key types of players go and over all quality.

i still believe we should go something like the following and find out what players can do instead of going round in circles doing the same wrong things over and over thinking something will magically change.
i actually think we are at a watershed moment where we can lick our wounds and do some hard yards and likely go backwards in the short term by getting games into kids and finding out about players. or we can continue to play the glass half fulls by the truckload and likely spend the next 5 - 10 yrs in the wilderness.

b/ morris - chaplin - rance
hb/ mcintosh - astbury - vlastuin/ dea/helbig/ or one of the many mids who have played back in deledio,ellis, conca, even lennon.
c/  deledio - martin - ellis
hf/ knights - griffiths - lennon
f/  lloyd - riewoldt - A edwards
r/ maric - cotchin, jackson.
int/ hampson - conca - miles - foley.

the need to find a 1v1 kpd is glaring. as is the need for a few pure tall forwards.  pure mids of both types is also glaring as is the need to get a young ruckman or two on the list.

personally id be wanting  a full INDEPENDENT review of the whole  footy dept with  recruiting list management a priority  before i did anything.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #205 on: April 26, 2014, 11:08:36 PM »
its typical of us. we put our players up on pedestals as soon as they show anything.  i suppose 32 yrs of almost exclusively mediocre players thru the door does that to ya.

seems to me with both gordon and lloyd we may have found some decent foot soldiers nothing more nothing less. thing is we need to play em all yr and likely all next yr to really see what we have.
it aint hard to look better than many of the glass half fulls who get regular games that in itself is a problem.
club desperately imo needs to address some real list weaknesses as far as key types of players go and over all quality.

i still believe we should go something like the following and find out what players can do instead of going round in circles doing the same wrong things over and over thinking something will magically change.
i actually think we are at a watershed moment where we can lick our wounds and do some hard yards and likely go backwards in the short term by getting games into kids and finding out about players. or we can continue to play the glass half fulls by the truckload and likely spend the next 5 - 10 yrs in the wilderness.

b/ morris - chaplin - rance
hb/ mcintosh - astbury - vlastuin/ dea/helbig/ or one of the many mids who have played back in deledio,ellis, conca, even lennon.
c/  deledio - martin - ellis
hf/ knights - griffiths - lennon
f/  lloyd - riewoldt - A edwards
r/ maric - cotchin, jackson.
int/ hampson - conca - miles - foley.

the need to find a 1v1 kpd is glaring. as is the need for a few pure tall forwards.  pure mids of both types is also glaring as is the need to get a young ruckman or two on the list.

personally id be wanting  a full INDEPENDENT review of the whole  footy dept with  recruiting list management a priority  before i did anything.
fair call claw.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2014, 07:38:54 PM »

the claw

« Reply #207 on: July 02, 2014, 06:57:38 PM »
he had a good debut and looks at this stage to be a decent pick  good on him. as a 24 yo id say there should have been some expectation that he would make a decent contribution.
good game or bad i would still argue he would have lasted to the rookie draft.
im still adamant somehow we needed to take more kids and balance our trade/draft periods out.
i hope they give lloyd a game as well got to be a better option as a sml forward than jake king. hes also 24 and i would expect him to be able to make a decent contribution.

i will say it again with some sort of longer term view in mind, we should have gone IF POSSIBLE and ive said this right throughout something like this.
trade period
chapman f/a
laidler f/a
longer and pick 25 for pick 12 and 50. 

nd
25 dunston
32 hewitt
64 marsh
78 templeton

rookies of which im honest enough to say i had none in mind. what i did argue it was in the rookie draft where we take mature players if we take em.
miles
gordon
lloyd.
thomas
 i put gordon and lloyd here because imo  it was clear there was  every chance they would last till the rookie draft.

i argued  for this sort of scenario and several similar scenarios at the time. it was not going to be too hard to do it was only a matter of tweaking things a little.
it would have given us 5 juniors and 4 or 5 mature types.
but apparently after pick 12 there was no good juniors available and we didnt need to keep an eye on the longer term. i wonder if we miss the 8 this yr if people will still hold that view.
reckon im entitled to bring this post up.
i wonder how many would argue with this sort of process now. its now even clearer than ever that we needed to balance out our drafting  and trading last yr.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #208 on: August 10, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »
Thought he was VERY good.

I'd keep him in the side for the rest of the year no question

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »
“’Nipper’ Gordon, ‘Flash’ has got elite running capacity which is what you need when you play half-forward these days and he’s really good in the air as well. When he went back and kicked that goal, after copping a big hit from Courtney Dempsey, it was a real steadier for us." - Jack Riewoldt on MMM.

“I think Gordon plays a lot bigger than he actually is (187cm, 86kg).  He’s got quite a solid frame, so we know that he can play hard and tough. But also, to get out on the outside and run and use his ability to work is a credit to him and really helpful for us a group." - Trent Cotchin on ABC radio.

Full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-08-11/gordons-flash-response