Author Topic: Unleash the Giesch  (Read 3308 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Unleash the Giesch
« on: December 09, 2013, 09:46:06 PM »
I just heard 'The Giesch' was no longer at the AFL.
Was that in the news and I just missed it! Or was it kept quiet by the AFL?

I know a lot of people will be happy about it and I've heard a lot of negative stuff about him in the past on here but I'd just like to tell you all what an absolute star of a bloke he is.
My wife used to work at the AFL and work very closely with him. He looked after her like he would his own daughter. To the point where if she joined a 'boot camp' or new gym, he would ring her at night to see how it went, even though he was going to see her at work the next morning.
He would always ask how I was going with work or footy or anything I was into.
On a few occasions I would have to go to the umpires grand final  presentation dinner and without doubt in his opening speech he would thank the partners (by name) of his employees for coming, which IMO sums up the man. He is a passionate AFL person and loved his time at Tigerland and talks about it with a big smile on his face.
A true gentleman and one of the nicest men I have ever met. I know that won't change peoples opinion about him and that's fine but I just thought I would share that with you guys.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Unleash the Giesch
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 09:48:51 PM »
Thx for sharing big tone, I always imagined he would be a passionate footy person and would look fondly at his time at the tigers, as he could coach a bit just quietly however outside machinations ultimately forced the clubs hand  ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:49:39 PM »
 :cheers

Yes was in the news about a fortnight ago, article about what he was most proud of during his time in charge of the umps

Think it was in the. HUN
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 09:50:24 PM »
Thx for sharing big tone, I always imagined he would be a passionate footy person and would look fondly at his time at the tigers, as he could coach a bit just quietly however outside machinations ultimately forced the clubs hand  ::)

Outside machinations yes plus a few senior players  ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 09:50:32 PM »

I know a lot of people will be happy about it and I've heard a lot of negative stuff about him in the past on here but I'd just like to tell you all what an absolute star of a bloke he is.
My wife used to work at the AFL and work very closely with him. He looked after her like he would his own daughter. To the point where if she joined a 'boot camp' or new gym, he would ring her at night to see how it went, even though he was going to see her at work the next morning.
On a few occasions I would have to go to the umpires grand final  presentation dinner and without doubt in his opening speech he would thank the partners (by name) of his employees for coming, which IMO sums up the man. He is a passionate AFL person and loved his time at Tigerland and talks about it with a big smile on his face.
A true gentleman and one of the nicest men I have ever met. I know that won't change peoples opinion about him and that's fine but I just thought I would share that with you guys.

if a guy was doing that much i'd ask questions??  :whistle

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 09:53:01 PM »

if a guy was doing that much i'd ask questions??  :whistle
:thumbsup :lol

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:55:28 PM »
I hate him
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 09:59:44 PM »
I hate him

Hate is a such a strong word
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 01:15:26 AM »
I hate him
He doesn't know you so probably doesn't care.  :lol ;D

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 08:02:26 AM »
I hate him
He doesn't know you so probably doesn't care.  :lol ;D

Geisch goes jogging in reebok  ;D

On a serious note he was on SEN with KB briefly a fortnight ago and had a chat about his time as umpires boss.
Good luck to him in the future  :thumbsup and all tge best

It was fun to joke around about tge digruntled ex richmond coach jokes, now we may really end up with a dictactor as new boss   :-\
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 08:58:48 AM »
I am glad at least one person had a good experience with the Giesch

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 09:03:04 AM »
being a good bloke to the people you work with is not to be confused with being competent at your job
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 09:51:06 AM »
I am glad at least one person had a good experience with the Giesch

Back in the day when he coached the Tigers I used to regularly attend training sessions with a small group of diehards. At the end of most sessions the Geisch would wander over to us with a big smile on his face, ask us how we were going, and happily field all sorts of inane questions and suggestions from us. When he moved on to become umpire's director I would often see him at reserves games, and wander over to enquire about things like, why was Richo getting such a raw deal from the umpires, and citing numerous examples of my grievances. Of course he remembered me from his time at Punt Road, and was as friendly and approachable as ever, always listening to what I had to say.
As the years went by though, and our treatment didn't seem to improve (the stats will back up the fact that we have been one of the worst treated sides by the umps in recent years), I began to subscribe to the views of all the conspiracy theorists who argued that the Geisch, as a disgruntled sacked coach, was orchestrating a campaign of revenge against his former employers. Naturally, I was happy to see him ousted from his position. In hindsight though, I really don't know what to believe about those days now. The image of him as an embittered man with an axe to grind against the club that sacked him doesn't at all gel with the friendly, easygoing bloke that I once knew.         

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 12:58:37 PM »
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline tigertim

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 03:51:10 PM »
being a good bloke to the people you work with is not to be confused with being competent at your job
exactly