Author Topic: Timely break for Tigers  (Read 2727 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Timely break for Tigers
« on: June 20, 2005, 06:43:43 PM »
Timely break for Tigers
4:57:50 PM Mon 20 June, 2005
Jennifer Witham
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond defender Joel Bowden agrees with coach Terry Wallace – the mid-season break could not have come at a better time for the Tigers.

With winter finally beginning to rear its head in Melbourne, the Tigers are off to the warm Whitsundays for their split-round break, which is a move Bowden believes will help in the healing process after Saturday's 70-point loss to Adelaide.

"We're fortunate that Laguna, who is a sponsor of ours, is going to put us up in the Whitsundays for three days, so everyone will be together, no one will be off sulking by themselves," Bowden said, after the match.

"The boys will be sticking together, and in bad times you need to stick together so we'll be up there, and I think we'll have a bit of self-assessment and a bit of peer assessment, and a bit of coach assessment up there."

Richmond started the season in explosive fashion after an initial wake-up call in round one, and has recently dropped off the perch to lose the last four matches.

Critics will say that the reason why is simple – the Tigers just can't match it with the cream of the competition. But Bowden says it's more a decline in confidence that is causing the recent slump.

"It's probably good timing for us to have a break now, a couple of weeks off and recharge for the second half of the season," Bowden said.

"Hopefully we can come back and play the footy that we were playing earlier in the year. We haven't lost our ability, we've just lost a little bit of confidence, a bit of drive, maybe this is just the right time for us to have a break."

Bowden will have an additional reason to celebrate during the brief hiatus, with the defender set to celebrate his birthday the day after the Tigers land in Queensland.

"It will be good, I'm actually having a birthday up there with all the boys, so Tuesday will hopefully see a couple of presents from them," Bowden said.

And it appears that age is getting the better of Bowden's memory, with the 2004 club best-and-fairest initially struggling to remember which birthday this would be.

"21, 22….no, 27. I'm getting on," Bowden laughed.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=210451

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Inside the Tigers at Laguna
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 01:09:30 PM »
Inside the Tigers

9:35:33 AM Tue 21 June, 2005
Matt Burgan
Exclusive to afl.com.au

On the first evening of Richmond's four-day mid-season break to Laguna in the Whitsundays region, coach Terry Wallace gave the media a fascinating insight into the match review of last Saturday night's clash against Adelaide at Telstra Dome.

Wallace allowed football journalists and reporters to witness first-hand the machinations of how Richmond goes about its match review, which normally takes place on Monday around lunchtime.

The review started just before 6:30pm and lasted just under an hour. Just before it started, Wallace spoke to the media about what it could report. He was pretty relaxed about the situation, but you respected what he was saying.

After all, the fact that Wallace allowed a handful of reporters, plus some coterie group members into a close-knit discussion was greatly appreciated - and well received - by all concerned.

Just before the review, football manager Paul Armstrong spoke to the playing group about some 'common sense' ground rules, during its stay at Laguna. This was followed by strength and conditioning coach Matt Hornsby outlining instructions for the players involved in rehab for the next morning.

Wallace then spoke and started by telling his players that the media was in the room, listening, sponging and taking in every word, for it is a rare chance to listen to an AFL coach in the inner sanctum, albeit in the tropical Laguna surroundings.

He then summoned an emerging midfielder to review last Sunday's VFL match, where the Coburg Tigers were walloped by 61 points, courtesy of the Bendigo Bombers. It was rather short and sweet, as you would expect from that type of result.

Wallace then proceeded to use a whiteboard, outlining key numbers - both positive and negative - although unfortunately for the Tigers, many were the latter, considering they were thrashed by 70 points against the Crows.

Kicks/handballs ratios, hard-ball gets, loose-ball gets, centre clearances, tackles, inside 50s, set-shots on goal were all hot topics of discussion - or rather stated - and interestingly, Wallace apologised to one player for not giving him greater game-time in the midfield.

He was genuinely sorry to that player and let it be known to the entire group.

Assistant coach Brian Royal backs up Wallace on key statistics, before the head coach stresses the importance of conversion. The Tigers managed 9.8 against the Crows.

Wallace soon turns his attention to individuals. He highlights that Adelaide's Scott Thompson is the 'premium midfielder' in the match. Thompson finishes with 27 disposals.

He also talks about the key performances from Adelaide forwards Ian Perrie (five goals) and Scott Welsh (eight goals). Wallace rates Welsh's match his best ever in the AFL, while he believes Nathan Bock played the perfect match from half-back.

As the statistics get bleaker for the Tigers, Wallace becomes more passionate as he continues to thoroughly dissect the match. He highlights that 13 Richmond players had no more than two possessions in the final quarter, which he rates as 'non-competitive'.

But Wallace heaps praise on a young Tiger for at least having a crack in the match, despite some indifferent decision-making. He highlights that the player in question had nine more touches than his Adelaide rival.

The video analysis is then shown. The heading 'Lack of defensive pressure' beams onto the screen and what follows are examples from the match. Time and time again, Wallace highlights glaring errors in this department.

A senior player soon voices his thoughts about this subject, to which Wallace says: 'Spot-on'.

'Wrong options' is the follow-up sequel. And like many follow-ups, this appears to be worse than the original. Wallace emphasises that his players are too slow to move the ball and that they have got to be much more reactive.

First-year assistant coach David King offers his thoughts and backs up Wallace, while he adds that players must work harder and smarter.

Completing the trilogy on the big screen is 'Poor disposal/decision-making'. As Wallace says about the third installment - 'It can't be any worse than that'.

A veteran Tiger sitting near the back of the room pipes up with some words of wisdom and assertively says, without being negative, that encouragement from within the team on the field must be improved.

Players have an obligation to talk on the field, no matter whether the person in question possesses a quiet demeanour off it. The energy levels must lift is his overall message.

Long-time football assistant David Wheadon then has his say and urges the players to think on the run.

After the match review vision against Adelaide is shown, Wallace talks about the fact that the players were fortunate to be in different surroundings, as they would have copped flak by the media and from supporters this week.

He says the fact that the playing group is together at Laguna does not overshadow the fact that the players needed to reflect on what happened almost 48 hours before hand.

Wallace is upfront when he says that seven positions in the senior side are up for grabs in round 14, with the Coburg side that will take to the field this weekend, likely to help decide the fate of the senior side that is pitted against Sydney at the MCG on 2 July.

He apologises in advance that some players, who thought they were going to have this weekend off, will now be forced to line-up in the VFL, due to form dictating.

Although Wallace highlights the fact that the Tigers have played four of the top five teams in the past four rounds, which is one reason why the club has lost those matches, he stresses that it is manner in which his players have been approaching their football that has been disappointing.

Despite being honest in his appraisal, Wallace finishes the match review in a positive fashion, highlighting Richmond's stunning form against Carlton in round seven, which resulted in the Tigers winning by 85 points.

Slick, hard running and constant movement of the football is the norm in these highlights and Wallace says the reason his side is not achieving those results at the moment is simply due to the mindset of his team.

But you got the feeling, after watching an irresistible Tiger army in full flight that it was not far away from turning around.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=210543
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Tiger trip just the tonic
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 01:10:58 PM »
Tiger trip just the tonic

10:41:34 PM Mon 20 June, 2005
Matt Burgan at Laguna Keys
Exclusive to afl.com.au

Richmond chief executive Steven Wright believes the club's mid-season trip to Laguna in the Whitsundays region of North Queensland is just the tonic the Tigers need to reignite their season in the second half of 2005.

After sitting third on the ladder at the conclusion of round nine, when it had recorded seven wins, Richmond has since lost its past four matches to Melbourne, West Coast, Kangaroos and Adelaide - now four of the top five teams on the ladder at the half-way stage of the split round.
But Wright said the trip to the stunning Laguna resort was just the thing the Tigers needed to revitalise their year.

"It's just perfect timing, with the mid-season break, to also get away from the chills of Melbourne, to hopefully get over a few injuries and to also spend some time bonding together and get some energy and enthusiasm up for the second half of the season," Wright told richmondfc.com.au.

"The chance to come up here when it's 25 degrees sunshine means the players can go swimming in the water and go outdoors running and avoid the risk of more injuries - touch wood - and it's also a chance for them to have a bit of fun. Football's a tough gig and they work very, very hard during the season, so the chance to come up here for a few days is great.

"They'll be doing training, match reviews and a mid-year review, while they will be doing swimming and a few social activities like fishing and snorkeling out on the (Great Barrier) Reef, so it's a chance to give them a bit of a break, with their teammates.

"It's still a pretty young team and a new team and they've played a lot of footy together, but they probably haven't spent a lot of time just having fun together, so it's a chance to do that and to freshen up mentally."

Wright said the cross-promotion for both Laguna and Richmond was also a key element in the mid-season trip.

"When we sat down with Laguna to negotiate the new deal for 2005, we wanted to do something that would be big in the sense of being able to promote the brand Laguna and work with our players and let out players have the opportunity to see the resort," Wright said.

Wright did not rule out the possibility of an annual mid-season visit to Laguna by the club.

"David Marriner, the owner of Laguna, is keen to continue, so we'll sit down at the end of the year and look at it next year and see what works for them - whether it's this or something else - and we'll have a look at it, but we're very, very pleased to be here," Wright said.

"The golf course here is regarded as the No.1 golf course in Queensland and the No.1 resort course in Australia and this is the first of three, with the next course going in over the next 12 months, which is being designed by Karrie Webb and the third course being designed by Greg Norman, so it will be a golfing mecca on the steps of the Whitsundays.

"What David Marriner has been very keen to do is ensure he preserves the ecology, so you still get the rainforest pockets and gullies to give you the tropical Queensland look, while there is an international airstrip being put in next year, which will enable direct flights from Melbourne to the Whitsundays, in around just three hours."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=210540

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Tiger trip just the tonic
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 01:15:27 PM »
"It's just perfect timing, with the mid-season break, to also get away from the chills of Melbourne, to hopefully get over a few injuries and to also spend some time bonding together and get some energy and enthusiasm up for the second half of the season," Wright told richmondfc.com.au.

I have to say that the offer that was available to RFC members to go up there this week was very very tempting and a good one too. But the timing if it for me was terrible (and how I need a holiday) so I am heading off to Tassie for the weekend instead :-\ :help :D ;D

"The chance to come up here when it's 25 degrees sunshine

That's funny I got told on Sunday that it was raining up there  ;D

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Timely break for Tigers
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 12:30:07 AM »
Sports Tonight showed some vision of the boys up at Laguna. Canoeing, Swimming, Golfing and having 15m kick-to-kicks on the golf-course because that area was the only area that was flat lol.

On the whiteboard Wallace had loose gets and IIRC inside 50s circled in red texta. Terry said we've been beaten all year in loose gets. It doesn't help when we are turning over the footy most of the time and in the last few games not manning up  :banghead.

Richo (with beard) said he had his crook knee drained again and got some cortozone into it. The lead in to the story said "Richo tells why he will play the rest of the year with a bad knee" but he didn't say that at all. Che!  ???.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richardson considers arthroscopy (The Age)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 12:58:49 AM »
Richardson considers arthroscopy
By Melissa Ryan
Whitsundays
The Age
June 22, 2005

Richmond forward Matthew Richardson has had a cortisone injection to help combat his knee injury, and will consider having an arthroscopy at the end of the season.

The Tiger has been hampered by the joint problem since hyperextending his knee in the loss to St Kilda in round five - regularly having fluid drained from his knee - but mid-season surgery was ruled out. "Everyone just got together and it was the best way to manage it, and that was the decision that got made," Richardson said. "At the end of the year, we might have a scope (arthroscopy) but we'll wait and see at the time."

Richardson said he did not consider the need for cortisone to be an extreme measure. "Basically after the last game against Adelaide, I had it drained and a bit of cortisone and now I have the week off and hopefully next week, it should be right to go.

"It's not extreme. We've done it once and that's probably the only time we'll have to do it and it should be right for the rest of the year . . . (I) don't use it very often but sometimes you need to . . . I haven't had many injuries where I've needed to do so.

"The problem is that it wouldn't stop swelling up. The structure of the knee's fine - I haven't got any problems with anything within the structure - but I had a few injuries about five or six weeks ago and because I didn't get the chance to rest it, it just couldn't settle down. But with this break it should settle down fine," he said.

Richardson did static skills at the club's early-morning training session yesterday, before doing some strengthening and recovery work, and believes he will be able to resume full training next week ahead of the Sydney match after not training in the lead-up to the Adelaide game.

"It takes away a little bit of your speed off the mark. When you're limping around all week, it just restricts your quad muscles a little bit and if you lose a bit of strength in your quads, you might lose a little bit of speed. It certainly wasn't to the point where I couldn't be playing. I was out there and I was running around fine. It wasn't that big of a problem," he said.

The Tiger hoped he would no longer have to have his knee drained this year after the rest, saying: "It just feels tight. As soon as it comes out, it just feels a lot better." He added that "touch wood", he would be able to play out the rest of the year. Richardson rated his own season as "average" and "a bit up and down" so far, and he wanted more consistency.

Last night, Tigers coach Terry Wallace delivered his mid-season review to the group, and Richardson said the break was a good opportunity to reflect on what the Tigers had done and where they needed to improve.

"We get to reassess our performance and our goals with Terry and then it's also a chance to have a bit of a rest mentally and physically, although we're still doing a little bit of training, but going out fishing and doing a few things like that. It's just a good chance to get away and get in a bit of warm weather . . ."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/06/21/1119321731619.html

Bulluss

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 04:51:14 AM »
Gee this all seems a little professional for the Richmond Football Club.

Maybe we have some people now who actually know what they are doing. :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Inside the Tigers at Laguna part 2:
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005, 01:37:08 PM »
Inside the Tigers - part two

9:09:49 AM Wed 22 June, 2005
Matt Burgan at Laguna Whitsunday
Exclusive to afl.com.au
As part of Richmond's split-round trip to Laguna in the Whitsundays, the club staged a mid-season review of its on-field and off-field football operations. This was held on Tuesday evening, the second night of Richmond's four-day stay at Laguna Whitsundays.

On the previous night, Richmond had its weekly match review, with senior coach Terry Wallace allowing representatives of the football media and members of selected coterie groups, a first-hand look at the procedures it undertakes after each round.
Again, Wallace was hospitable in giving the media and coterie groups the access to the club's mid-season review - an in-depth and thorough look of the opening 13 rounds of 2005.

Before the meeting commenced, Jack Dyer Medallist Mark Coughlan was given a loud cheer after he reeled in the biggest fish caught earlier in the day. The chef on hand at Laguna appeared with a decent-sized golden trevally to the players and the select few in the room. His catch of the day narrowly defeated Kayne Pettifer's impressive effort.

Wallace then settled the group, before starting.

He started by thanking his assistants - Brian Royal, David King, David Wheadon and Gordon Casey - for their efforts in getting the review up and running. Wallace revealed that they were up until midnight the previous day, working on the project.

One of Wallace's aims was to take the emotion out of the review, while he said, honestly - 'Will it bore you? Probably, yes', was the answer.

Harking back to the pre-season, Wallace revisited Richmond's ethos. He revealed five key points the club was striving to achieve.

During this discussion, Wallace refers back to his days at the Western Bulldogs and highlights the dedication of six-time best-and-fairest winner Scott West. Wallace told the story that West was committed to being the best he could.

Wallace said it was evident when West was just 17 years old, when the then young pup would park his car at the Whitten Oval, before taking off for a jog to Skinner Reserve, a nearby oval where the Dogs were training for a period of time.

He would then jog back to the Whitten Oval and use his runs, before and after training, as a time-trial. Wallace said West was 'manic' about his times, although the Bulldogs' senior players thought he was 'mad'.

Wallace's message was clear. West set his own standards and many at Tigerland needed to follow. In discussing the point, Wallace was 'absolutely rapt' with one particular Tiger's work ethic, despite the fact that the player in question remains sidelined through injury.

In summarising Richmond's ethos, Wallace said: 'Have we lived up to it?' He believes the club is heading in a positive direction. 'I think we are getting there', he said.

Team objectives were raised and addressed, with several senior players offering their thoughts on the matter. Gaining respect and putting the team before the individual were the key issues.

Football manager Paul Armstrong then addressed the group on off-field matters.

Attendance, clothing and apparel, women in football, respect for people and facilities, supporters, media, social behaviour, fines, internal/club politics, signing of merchandise and players appearances were covered.

Most received ticks of approval from Armstrong, but some areas got crosses next them. Armstrong, with Wallace strongly reinforcing the importance of these issues, was adamant the playing group needed to adhere to these off-field duties.

Strength and conditioning coach Matt Hornsby spoke briefly, stressing the importance of players sticking to their recovery sessions, particularly their massages, before and after matches.

Wallace then moved onto key indicators and the formula for Richmond's success, although he was adamant that this was not for public consumption. The keys were offensive, defensive, in dispute and general kicks' indicators. His belief - and the evidence he produced - on general kicks was compelling, as were the statistics for handballs.

As Wallace highlighted the intricacies of these statistics, he says directly to his players - 'Does this make sense to you all?'

Wallace's statistical revelation on his side's kicking becomes clearer and clearer and as he concludes the point, he says: 'Imagine if we had two other wins and we had nine, you (the players) might've been able to have a beer tonight'.

This draws a laugh - and possibly for some - a regretful sneer.

Wallace then hands the meeting over to his assistants.

Royal reviews the midfield and discusses winning the ball, using the ball, how hard the players work when the opposition has the ball and Richmond's top six midfielders against the opposition's top six midfielders.

Wallace who chimes in at one point, stressing that finding further midfielders within the club is important.

First-year assistant King, who heads up the forwards, then speaks. He talks about how the team uses the ball and what forwards must do if they are not kicking goals. Tackling and defensive pressure are emphasised strongly.

King poses the question: 'If you're not kicking goals, not tackling and putting defensive pressure on, then I'm not sure what your role is (up forward)'.

Casey, heading up the backline, then addresses the group on rebound 50s and defenders playing on small forwards. Wallace breaks in, with his say, on what Richmond needs to do about a small defender. His thoughts are revealing and straight to the point.

Wheadon then speaks about the operations of the interchange bench. He says older heads are adapting to coming on the ground far greater than younger and inexperienced players.

Speaking with a genuine human element, Wheadon says experienced players watch where they think they will play, when they run onto the ground, while youngsters tend to be nervous about simply getting a kick.

He says the inexperienced players need to overcome their nerves, although he empathises with them, suggesting that experience will help enormously in that factor.

But Wheadon is impressed by the professionalism shown by the players when they come off the ground. 'No dummy spitting' has occurred, which he believes is vital to the cause.

Zoning is also an interesting subject discussed, with a senior player offering some strong thoughts on this area.

Royal returns for further breakdowns in statistics and stresses the importance of team structures, particularly for ruckmen and midfielders. Efficiency is spoken about.

It's back to King, who gives further background on zones. He believes some players have 'scant regard' for them. Wallace backs up King and throws up the question: 'Do forwards believe it's their divine right to just kick goals?' He is leaves you in no doubt of his response - 'I believe, yes.'

King strongly states that 'zones are an attitude', while he adds that poor zoning costs matches. He questions whether the players have a 'genuine desire to make it work'.

And Wallace suggests that he could do a spot of gardening out on the ground, in regards to his side's recent zoning.

'If we had a watering can out there, they'd (the players) grow' is his reference in relation to members of his team not moving into position and instead, standing still.

Positively, Wallace says that when he emphasises something strongly to his players that he invariably receives it. Humourously, he adds: 'Next week, I'll ask for 20 goals'.

The meeting, which at this stage has lasted for over two hours and with two separate breaks, is winding up for the media and coterie groups.

Wheadon finishes on goalkicking. He says players' attitude is 'spot on', but adds that not enough players are practicing their weaknesses. He illustrates some fascinating indicators on goalkicking.

Once he finishes, it is time for a third break and the end of a compelling review for the media and coterie groups. But Wallace and his assistants bring the playing group back in for one final session, with just the inner sanctum involved.

But for the others, they leave engrossed and all the better for the experience.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=210746

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Inside the Tigers at Laguna part 2:
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 05:13:39 PM »
Wallace was 'absolutely rapt' with one particular Tiger's work ethic, despite the fact that the player in question remains sidelined through injury.

Rodan?

Wallace then moved onto key indicators and the formula for Richmond's success, although he was adamant that this was not for public consumption. The keys were offensive, defensive, in dispute and general kicks' indicators. His belief - and the evidence he produced - on general kicks was compelling, as were the statistics for handballs.

I'd like to know a ladder based on effective kicks and handballs. I remember a little comment by a former player at the game on the weekend having a joke as the side was running back onto the ground after half time - "well I better let you all go as the little league is about start" ;D

As Wallace highlighted the intricacies of these statistics, he says directly to his players - 'Does this make sense to you all?'

How many had blank confused faces? lol

Royal reviews the midfield and discusses winning the ball, using the ball, how hard the players work when the opposition has the ball and Richmond's top six midfielders against the opposition's top six midfielders.

Wallace who chimes in at one point, stressing that finding further midfielders within the club is important.

Falls away after 3 - Tuck, Cogs and Johnson. Hyde was a fourth before the headclash but hasn't been the same since coming back. The rest are either not up to it or far too young. At least that's 2-3 more than we had last year  :help . We need at least 10 to rotate through the midfield with the top 6 classy ones. Deledio, Tambling and Meyer will be quality additions in a few years.

Wallace breaks in, with his say, on what Richmond needs to do about a small defender. His thoughts are revealing and straight to the point.

Hopefully Hartigan is right to come back against the Swans.

First-year assistant King, who heads up the forwards, then speaks. He talks about how the team uses the ball and what forwards must do if they are not kicking goals. Tackling and defensive pressure are emphasised strongly.

King poses the question: 'If you're not kicking goals, not tackling and putting defensive pressure on, then I'm not sure what your role is (up forward)'.

It's back to King, who gives further background on zones. He believes some players have 'scant regard' for them. Wallace backs up King and throws up the question: 'Do forwards believe it's their divine right to just kick goals?' He is leaves you in no doubt of his response - 'I believe, yes.'

King strongly states that 'zones are an attitude', while he adds that poor zoning costs matches. He questions whether the players have a 'genuine desire to make it work'.

And Wallace suggests that he could do a spot of gardening out on the ground, in regards to his side's recent zoning.

'If we had a watering can out there, they'd (the players) grow' is his reference in relation to members of his team not moving into position and instead, standing still.

Nice accurate spray. It might have taken 25 years but I think we may have finally found the right coaching staff at the RFC :thumbsup.

Wheadon finishes on goalkicking. He says players' attitude is 'spot on', but adds that not enough players are practicing their weaknesses. He illustrates some fascinating indicators on goalkicking.

Kick through the ball Mr Simmonds and Mr Coughlan ;) although they aren't the only ones.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 05:17:08 PM by mightytiges »

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Richo's eagle lands
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2005, 08:17:40 AM »
22 June 2005   Herald Sun

RICHMOND forward Matthew Richardson showed at Laguna Quays in the Whitsundays yesterday he can also be a sharpshooter on the golf course.

Hole new ball game: Richmond forward Matthew Richardson tees off at Laguna Quays in the Whitsundays, where the Tigers are taking a mid-season break.
Picture: Peter Ward

Asked how he performed, Richo replied: "I can't play but I got an eagle."

Richardson made a two on a par four by driving the green and sinking a 9m putt.

The Tigers are in Queensland for four days on a mid-season freshener.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Plough seeks player input
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2005, 01:06:15 PM »
Plough seeks player input

9:53:55 AM Thu 23 June, 2005
Matt Burgan at Laguna Whitsundays
Exclusive to afl.com.au

Richmond coach Terry Wallace is seeking his players' thoughts on the club's mid-season review, which took place on Tuesday night - and lasted for over two hours - during the Tigers' mid-season trip to Laguna Whitsunday.

Wallace said the club's coaching staff will meet with the players, after returning from Laguna, to get their feedback on the in-depth summary.

"That'll happen on Monday, next week in Melbourne, so it'll be interesting to see what they will have been able to glean out of it and they have control of all of the numbers we gave them and all of the facts and figures," Wallace said.

"They'll get hard copies of that, so that they'll be able to glean through it themselves.

"We need to make some adjustments to our game and we need to make some adjustments to our training, to suit the game style that actually suits us best and it's just re-jigging some of what we did in the first half of the year."

During the mid-season review, Wallace said the playing group needed to provide more voice on the field. He said the quietness of the squad was something he observed when he took over the reigns at Punt Road.

"When I first arrived, that was the first thing that I noted, just how quiet they were," Wallace said.

"I think that probably they had been under siege for a couple of years and the senior guys that had been around the club for seven, eight and nine years - that'd had an influence on them, so we tried to lighten things up a bit over the summer and tried to get themselves to come out of themselves over that period of time and just rebuild their confidence."

Wallace also suggested the players needed to play with greater passion in their game.

"It's just where I sit. It's an observation really and it's no more than that," Wallace said.

"You can't make everyone what they're not, but I think every player in this competition has a responsibility and you can be as quiet as what you want off the ground and that's your judgment call if you want to step away from the game and away from training and go home and not have a major involvement with the group - that's you decision.

"But when you're at the game, you're a paid employee and part of that is to be a bit vibrant about the way you go about it and you step across the white line at training or game-day and you've got to be that way."

Wallace highlighted dual Brownlow Medallist Greg Williams as the perfect example of a player that was quiet off the field, yet was vocal on the ground.

"He was the quietest bloke that you could ever want to meet, but he wasn't on the footy field and he wasn't at training - he was exactly the opposite of that."

"What they do in their own time is their own judgment call, but when they're on our time, we need them to be a bit more vibrant."

Wallace said there was 'no doubt' the players and coaches were still evolving as a group.

"You take a few baby steps forward and then you might take one big one backwards and that's already happened in the early part of the year," Wallace said.

"Even in our style of play, at times, over the first half of the year, it's looked fantastic and we've looked really sharp and we've been as exciting as any side to go along and watch, when we're playing our very best footy.

"But at other times this year, I've seen with us - and particularly over the last couple of weeks - aspects of the game that were very, very similar to what I watched from the media box last year about going back into their shell."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=210929

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Richo's eagle lands
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2005, 04:37:57 PM »

Hole new ball game: Richmond forward Matthew Richardson tees off at Laguna Quays in the Whitsundays, where the Tigers are taking a mid-season break.
Picture: Peter Ward

Hey Julz did you ever think about popping up to the Whitsundays and perving on seeing Richo "in the flesh"?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Ying and Yang
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2005, 04:45:14 PM »
Did anyone here see that old 9th dan martial arts master on Sport Tonight last night giving Simmo a going once over in front of the group lol. The look of D-Rod's face when the old bloke arched his body backwards on was resting on both hands and tippy toes was priceless. It looked exactly like this emoticon lol   :gobdrop.

"Richmond will be top if you follow my teachings grasshopper"  ;D

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2005, 08:37:22 AM »
I'd like to give Simmo a going once over ;)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2005, 04:18:51 PM »
I'd like to give Simmo a going once over ;)

:o :gobdrop :o :gobdrop :o

::) ::) ::)

:help

Goodness gracious me  ;D