Author Topic: Richmond's change of recruiting philosophy drives change of fortunes (H-Sun)  (Read 11920 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's change of recruiting philosophy drives change of fortunes at Punt Rd

Jay Clark
    December 14, 2013

WHEN Richmond took a punt on a player it had never seen compete live in 2005, the decade of draft disasters was complete.

It seems almost inconceivable now, but the Tigers were going solely off the tape when they selected Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (13 AFL games), with pick No.8.

Until that point, Richmond was the bunny of the AFL draft. A club flying blind with a horribly under-resourced recruiting department.

But when Richmond made Brighton Grammar school teacher Francis Jackson full-time recruiting manager in 2006, and appointed Blair Hartley, from Port Adelaide, as list analyst in 2010, it laid the pillars to a spectacular turnaround.

According to Champion Data's 2014 AFL Prospectus, the Tigers deserve big ticks for eight of their last nine top-20 selections. Ben Griffiths, a developing tall taken with pick No. 19, carries the only question mark.

Along with Hartley's free agency genius, the string of early draft hits - based on a revamped theory of taking players with quality characters and decent foot skills - has rebuilt a basket case into a top-four contender.

Former president Gary March knew the transition period - which left the club wallowing in 2009-10 - would be painful. But he said a change in the club's draft philosophy was critical for setting up sustained success.

"We didn't have to pick superstars," March said.

"We just wanted to get players who we knew would be A-Grade.

"Guys who you knew would play 200 games."

In a nutshell, the Tigers stopped gambling on players' upside and put greater emphasis on consistency of performance.

While Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin were obvious midfield jewels, Reece Conca, Nick Vlastuin, and Brandon Ellis were less flashy foot soldiers. But the club backed them in. The last three played at least 17 games in each of their first seasons.

Instead of failing to watch players, Jackson knew them all back to front, watching Vlastuin in the flesh no less than 40 times before calling his name out.

March said Hartley's licence to fill needs using free agency and state league pick-ups at the back end of the draft - delivering them Steve Morris, Shaun Grigg, Ivan Maric, Troy Chaplin and most recently Shaun Hampson among others - helped balance a list profile that was awfully out of whack.

"We knew we had to do a complete rebuild given our age profile was all askew," he said.

Hartley's mature-age pick-ups also allowed Jackson to focus squarely on a simple principle with their early picks.

"It meant we could go and just pick the best young player available, rather than fit for needs purpose," he said.

"But we had to create an environment where the Ivan Maric's and Troy Chaplin's wanted to come.

"A lot of work and resources went in to the coaching and development side of things.

"With our development structure pre-2006, it was difficult for those kids who did come in."

After breaking their finals drought last season, Champion Data predicts the Tigers will stay in the eight.

"There aren't too many pieces left in the Richmond jigsaw puzzle. Seven years of very solid recruiting should see sustained success at Punt Rd," The Prospectus says.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-change-of-recruiting-philosophy-drives-change-of-fortunes-at-punt-rd/story-fndv8t7m-1226782710641?from=trendinglinks

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
#standbygriff

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
The secrets out :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Agree with the last sentence and the most important word "sustainability", sustainability is crucial for our success over the next 10 years and further. We must continue to recruit smart including using the trade and FA period to our benefit.

I still think Griff will come on, finding his best position on the field must be dealt with now, he must be given the time in one position to show if he has it. I would prefer him forward but if that doesn't work, then back might be the last option. Either way Griff has to do something next year.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Clearly the Hun hasn't been reading Claws position on List Management  :banghead
Maybe this dude is another Tiger blogging sycophant?
 :banghead
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Gigantor

I would be quite interested in Claws response to this article....serious

Rampstar

KB was on the right track all those years ago when he was coaching, the only difference is that we have money to recruit experienced players to help the kids coming through. KB from memory had to bring back Cloke to give the side experience AND of course the facilities are different but KB was on the right track and sacking him was wrong.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years

he doesn't generally deal well with facts, seriously FJ's got a better record of picking winners than Venezuela does Miss universe contestants,  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Gigantor

:lol :lol :lol..Bo your grasp of the world stage is mind blowing

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
The pont I like from this article is that we are not gambling any longer and if that means not going for a high risk (flop)/high reward(star) player over a consistent quality A Grader then we'll take that option every time. We've really gone with the strategy of developing a quality team over finding a collection of superstars.

Huge change from the past

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
McIntosh Grimes. Chaplin.
Deledio. ARance. Morris.
Ellis. Vlastuin. Arnot.
Lennon. Vickery. Mcbean.
Cotchin. Riewoldt. Mcdonuts.
Maric. Martin. Conca.
Helbig. Ohanlon.
Foley. mDea.

... :shh

he doesn't generally deal well with facts, seriously FJ's got a better record of picking winners than Venezuela does Miss universe contestants,  :shh

If it were any more locked and loaded it'd be a Chinese battleship

the claw

ive actually praised their first round selctions and i agree we have found at the worst decent players with them in the main.
why not francis jacksons entire record though.

he started with us in 05 yes while he had other commitments he was still watching kids  but could only work with us on a part time basis. greg miller was part time as well in the role they are both still responsible for the decisions they made.
he was very much responsible for  jon and just as responsible as miller for the rest of that draft.

05 - jon  8.  big fail and it still remains the most galling pick of them all for me. a blind man could see jons weaknesses if you actually watched him play.
06 - riewoldt 13.  well he was easily the best kpf left in the draft. he lasted to us despite us trading out of pick 8. there was a few busts this draft so well done.
07 - rance  end of first round pp at 18. hes slowly become servicable thats about as much as im prepared to concede. still has too many flaws for the role we want him to play imo. pass mark.
07 - cotchin  2 its widely conceded by all kruezer and cotchin were easily the best two kids going in that draft.  it was a no brainer that a bloke off the street would have taken. pass.
08 -  vickery 8. imo this pick by no means can be claimed as a pass mark yet. it could still go either way. we drafted him as a ruckman so that part is a fail.
09 = martin 3.  another no brainer. there was just 4 in contentention and we had to make a decision on just 2 imo. trengove,scully was going to melbourne we all knew it.it was  martin or morabito. so its a pass hardly tough decisions to make.. i still think if injury had not hit so hard morabito would have been the pick of the lot. now he may be a total bust but no one can plan for injurys like hes had.
09 - griffiths 19. was always a risk this pick kills me. i argued strongly for lots of talls but had bastinac pencilled in here. i argued if we go tall it had to be carlisle or black and boy did i cop poo over it. fail.
10 - conca 6. a solid pick up but im in the camp of we probably could have done better. based on performance i thought him a reach i still do. but hes performed servicably to date and under difficult circumstances. so  pass. just for the record my choice here was elliot kavanagh. so im behind the 8 ball.
11 - ellis. 15. a good pick up should be at least a good consistent player for us.  pass 
12 - vlastuin  im going to give em credit here imo he was a top 5 pick and a very safe bet. thing is there was a fair few very good choices here and it would have been damn hard to stuff up. if grundy was not there he would have been my choice and he was certainly my choice of the mids that were left to us. i still think stringer will become something out the ordinary but he was gone.
13 - lennon 12. not my choice here and i have reservations about what he will offer thru the midfield.  but saying that hes a  highly thought of kid by a lot and a worthy pick here i think. pass. if chasing a mid  acres  dunstan or jones were available.     shame sharenburg did not get to us or dom sheed. acres was my choice here of those that were left.

yes our top 20 picks have been decent but you should not be getting too many of these picks wrong ever.
the real complaints over jackson and our recruiting have come after the first rnd or top 20 as the article puts it.
the only player taken in these rounds 2nd 3rd that has remotely come close to making a decent contribution is shane edwards and boy he has his knockers and rightly so.

the entire list of 2nd and 3rd rounders under jackson.
gordon, mcintosh, mcbean, mcdonough, elton, arnot, batchelor, helbig, macdonald, astbury, dea, taylor 51 4th. post putt, edwards, connors 51/4th, hughes, casserley.
no wonder we are so keen to trade out of these picks.  thats our lot after 9 yrs of francis jackson 2nd and 3rd round picks bloody hell thank god we have found some decent players in the first round eh.

one point id make is how do you define an a grader the top mark we can give a player.
finding good consistent players doesnt make em a graders. with such early picks you really should find your fair share though. thing is   how man have proven themselves to be A graders.

i query the decent footskills comment as well. thats patently wrong.

i also ask why only mention the success stories for hartley and jackson that makes it nothing but a feel good story and totally unbalanced.
i have a question. how many state league and players from other clubs has blair hartley taken in his short time at the club???.  that is if hes responsible for taking these types.

by my count there are 22 mature  players who fall under hartleys umbrella. yet we only hear about the 4  or 5 to date that have made a decent contribution.
yet when someone questions just how effective hes really been or if we ask could we be doing better that person cops abuse.

i dont think anyone on here in the last 3 or so yrs has argued we have improved in most areas.   ffs we could not have  been  worse. the argument remains should we be doing better.have we done as well as we could should we be further along than we are.  dont just look at recent yrs when answering this look at the entire history under jackson and hartley.

just for the record correct me if i have any wrong but the mature players we bought into the club under hartley.

farmer, nason, webberley, derickx, miller, jakobi,  a maric, lonergan, petterd, stephenson,  this list is made up of poor choices .

thomas, banfiels, miles gordon, lloyd  this list is wait and see.

i maric, morris, chaplain, houli, grigg, knights, a edwards.  all have added in varying degrees.  all bar ivan have knocks on their game.
anyway as usual im just trying to balance out the argument and get people to look past the feel good spin that that article is.

dwaino

tldr

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
ive actually praised their first round selctions and i agree we have found at the worst decent players with them in the main.
why not francis jacksons entire record though.

he started with us in 05 yes while he had other commitments he was still watching kids  but could only work with us on a part time basis. greg miller was part time as well in the role they are both still responsible for the decisions they made.
he was very much responsible for  jon and just as responsible as miller for the rest of that draft.

05 - jon  8.  big fail and it still remains the most galling pick of them all for me. a blind man could see jons weaknesses if you actually watched him play.
06 - riewoldt 13.  well he was easily the best kpf left in the draft. he lasted to us despite us trading out of pick 8. there was a few busts this draft so well done.
07 - rance  end of first round pp at 18. hes slowly become servicable thats about as much as im prepared to concede. still has too many flaws for the role we want him to play imo. pass mark.
07 - cotchin  2 its widely conceded by all kruezer and cotchin were easily the best two kids going in that draft.  it was a no brainer that a bloke off the street would have taken. pass.
08 -  vickery 8. imo this pick by no means can be claimed as a pass mark yet. it could still go either way. we drafted him as a ruckman so that part is a fail.
09 = martin 3.  another no brainer. there was just 4 in contentention and we had to make a decision on just 2 imo. trengove,scully was going to melbourne we all knew it.it was  martin or morabito. so its a pass hardly tough decisions to make.. i still think if injury had not hit so hard morabito would have been the pick of the lot. now he may be a total bust but no one can plan for injurys like hes had. hi
09 - griffiths 19. was always a risk this pick kills me. i argued strongly for lots of talls but had bastinac pencilled in here. i argued if we go tall it had to be carlisle or black and boy did i cop poo over it. fail.
10 - conca 6. a solid pick up but im in the camp of we probably could have done better. based on performance i thought him a reach i still do. but hes performed servicably to date and under difficult circumstances. so  pass. just for the record my choice here was elliot kavanagh. so im behind the 8 ball.
11 - ellis. 15. a good pick up should be at least a good consistent player for us.  pass 
12 - vlastuin  im going to give em credit here imo he was a top 5 pick and a very safe bet. thing is there was a fair few very good choices here and it would have been damn hard to stuff up. if grundy was not there he would have been my choice and he was certainly my choice of the mids that were left to us. i still think stringer will become something out the ordinary but he was gone.
13 - lennon 12. not my choice here and i have reservations about what he will offer thru the midfield.  but saying that hes a  highly thought of kid by a lot and a worthy pick here i think. pass. if chasing a mid  acres  dunstan or jones were available.     shame sharenburg did not get to us or dom sheed. acres was my choice here of those that were left.

yes our top 20 picks have been decent but you should not be getting too many of these picks wrong ever.
the real complaints over jackson and our recruiting have come after the first rnd or top 20 as the article puts it.
the only player taken in these rounds 2nd 3rd that has remotely come close to making a decent contribution is shane edwards and boy he has his knockers and rightly so.

the entire list of 2nd and 3rd rounders under jackson.
gordon, mcintosh, mcbean, mcdonough, elton, arnot, batchelor, helbig, macdonald, astbury, dea, taylor 51 4th. post putt, edwards, connors 51/4th, hughes, casserley.
no wonder we are so keen to trade out of these picks.  thats our lot after 9 yrs of francis jackson 2nd and 3rd round picks bloody hell thank god we have found some decent players in the first round eh.

one point id make is how do you define an a grader the top mark we can give a player.
finding good consistent players doesnt make em a graders. with such early picks you really should find your fair share though. thing is   how man have proven themselves to be A graders.

i query the decent footskills comment as well. thats patently wrong.

i also ask why only mention the success stories for hartley and jackson that makes it nothing but a feel good story and totally unbalanced.
i have a question. how many state league and players from other clubs has blair hartley taken in his short time at the club???.  that is if hes responsible for taking these types.

by my count there are 22 mature  players who fall under hartleys umbrella. yet we only hear about the 4  or 5 to date that have made a decent contribution.
yet when someone questions just how effective hes really been or if we ask could we be doing better that person cops abuse.

i dont think anyone on here in the last 3 or so yrs has argued we have improved in most areas.   ffs we could not have  been  worse. the argument remains should we be doing better.have we done as well as we could should we be further along than we are.  dont just look at recent yrs when answering this look at the entire history under jackson and hartley.

just for the record correct me if i have any wrong but the mature players we bought into the club under hartley.

farmer, nason, webberley, derickx, miller, jakobi,  a maric, lonergan, petterd, stephenson,  this list is made up of poor choices .

thomas, banfiels, miles gordon, lloyd  this list is wait and see.

i maric, morris, chaplain, houli, grigg, knights, a edwards.  all have added in varying degrees.  all bar ivan have knocks on their game.
anyway as usual im just trying to balance out the argument and get people to look past the feel good spin that that article is.
Is that all you have to say claw?
You must me one of those glass one thousandth empty sort of guys....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Claw - Hartley did not arrive until 2010 so realistically only made his first impact on recruiting in 2011 so none of these players can be included to your list - farmer, nason, webberley, derickx, miller and jakobi.

He has more than enough runs on the board to make him a trading superstar for mine.  :bow Maric, Morris, Chaplin, Grigg, Houli, A.Edwards have all strengthened our side immeasurably. I now have faith 'his' new batch - Hampson, Gordan, Lloyd and Thomas, will do the same. He has a better track record than almost every other recruiter in his role across the rest of the competition.