Author Topic: face-off: Patrick Dangerfield v Dustin Martin ..... (afl site)  (Read 1915 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
face-off: Patrick Dangerfield v Dustin Martin ..... (afl site)
« on: January 11, 2014, 02:43:58 AM »
Fantasy face-off: Dangerfield v Martin
Ben Guthrie 
afl.com.au
January 10, 2014

IN A new series of columns leading up to the launch of NAB AFL Fantasy at the end of January, we run the rule over two similar AFL Fantasy players and decide which one is worth the precious room in your salary cap.

PATRICK DANGERFIELD (Adelaide)
     DUSTIN MARTIN (Richmond)
Fantasy position
      Forward/Midfielder
   Forward/Midfielder
2014 price
      $534,700
   $526,000
Price change from 2013
      +$92,500
   +$105,300
2013 average
      98.65    97.05
2013 high score
Key Fantasy stat

Dangerfield is a dynamic fantasy point scorer, topping the 100 mark on eight occasions in 2013. Importantly, he doesn't have to gather a lot of possessions to be damaging. The star Crow had 30 or more possessions just twice last season, yet still filled out the stat sheet in other areas.    When Martin scores in the 100s, he turns them in to big hundreds. He had four scores above 120 in 2013, including two scores of 144. That also included 10 scores above 100, equal to – if not better than – many star midfielders in the competition.
Value for money

At 23, Dangerfield is just about the most destructive midfielder in the game. He wins his fair share of hard ball on the inside of the contest, coupled with a special ability to finish his work when bolting away from the contest. Not having hit his peak yet, it's scary to think there is more improvement to come.    Martin is a homerun hitter. Unfortunately he also has his fair share of foul balls too. When on song, he can match it with anyone in the competition. However, a season-low score of just 28 is difficult to comprehend for a player of his talent. You've got to be prepared to take the good with the bad with Martin.
Job security

A crowd favourite and an absolute jet of the competition – Dangerfield is going nowhere.

Despite all but walking out on the Tigers during the off-season, Martin was runner-up in the club's best and fairest award and is now a star in the making (if not already).
Where he'll play
      Dangerfield has developed the endurance base to run through the midfield for the whole game, which is where he inflicts most of his damage. His instincts to break free of a contest are almost unmatched. As in previous years, Dangerfield will take his turn to play up forward. He might play there more so this season with the introduction of the interchange cap. The star Crow is a weapon regardless of where he plays.     Martin has worked hard to improve his aerobic ability during his time with the Tigers, so that he can sustain his efforts over four quarters through the midfield. Nevertheless, he is just as dangerous when pushing forward as well. The Tigers do their best to isolate him inside forward 50 with his opponent, where he is nearly unbeatable in one-on-one exchanges.
Injury concerns
      A painful shoulder injury was a real concern for Dangerfield in 2013. But he fought through it and has given his shoulder adequate time to heal.    Martin has steered clear of any significant injuries in his short career thus far.
The case for

Unleashing him in the midfield or allowing him to create havoc up forward, Dangerfield is the complete player. He carries the lines like not many others and still has time to burrow in and win his own football. He kicks goals through the midfield and sets his teammates up further afield. Displaying his versatility, coaches can pick him as a midfielder or forward. Brenton Sanderson surely wishes he had two Patrick Dangerfields in his team.    Martin has all the skills required to become one of the most lethal Fantasy products in the competition. He bullocks through traffic, kicks the ball a lot and receives the ball frequently from teammates. He has the ability to play up forward and through the midfield, where he is not afraid of taking pot shots for goal. When he's in the groove, he's nearly unstoppable.
The case against

This is being nit-picky, but Dangerfield is still prone to the odd indifferent game. A season low of 51 points against Essendon in round one and four scores below 80 proves that. Again, it's nit-picking.        Inconsistent play has been a little concerning for Martin admirers. He can go missing through games, at times, which limits his fantasy production. Martin can score big points one week and then have a stinker the next. Thankfully, those performances are starting to level out.

The verdict    
Patrick Dangerfield gets the nod – but only just. No question, Martin could become the best fantasy player in the AFL. But he is not there quite yet. Dangerfield is marginally more consistent and has proven to be one of the top midfielders in AFL Fantasy. Still, there's no harm in having them both in your team.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-10/fantasy-faceoff-dangerfield-v-dustin

the claw

Re: face-off: Patrick Dangerfield v Dustin Martin ..... (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 04:20:52 PM »
lol fantasy football. no wonder there are so many warped opinions on players.
on both well danger is 18months older and had two more yrs. he didnt do a lot until yr 5. 2012 has easily been his best yr.and he backed it up with a good one last yr.

i reckon martins first 4 yrs are a mile in front of dangerfields.  it took danger till yr 5 to have a big enough motor to really arrive. dusty enters yr 5.but hes been a lot better than danger in most areas up to yr 4. in fact he doesnt have to improve a lot of things very much at all but there is a few things that has to be worked on.

the areas i think dustin has to improve to become elite is pretty clear.
1/ he has to find more ball for himself. the ratio between uncontested and contested ball is too high. this along with the fact building a good motor has taken time are the main reasons why he has his fair share of poor games still.
2/ the lack of work rate when he doesnt have the ball. not enough tackles or chases or running to create options knowing you wont get it. 1%ers etc  it just has to get better. i  reckon this will get better as his motor improves. and this is the main reason hes been down in these areas.
3/ imo his non prefered is ordinary needs to do a lot of work on it.

1980 I Was There

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 04:31:27 PM »
Yep by the end of Dusty's career he will have 2 flags and at least 1 brownlow.
I think he is better than dangermouse any day of the week.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 05:10:47 PM »
Well done claw, post of the year, bang on  :clapping..hope it's a precedent for things to come  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 05:32:30 PM »
Would trade Dusty for Dangerfield imo
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 08:10:59 PM »
Ban this idiot :lol

1980 I Was There

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 08:42:39 PM »
Ban this idiot :lol

He's better ATM and he's not an idiot either
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 12:32:26 AM »

I would tie the Adelaide personnel down and not let them leave if this was a chance.

I would then hope our staff would wrap Dusty up in a nice bow and drive him all the way to Adelaide for presentation before Adelaide could change their minds.

Anyone that wouldn't want Danger at Punt Rd is in fantasy land.

He is a sensational football and also has less baggage.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 12:11:03 PM »

I would tie the Adelaide personnel down and not let them leave if this was a chance.

I would then hope our staff would wrap Dusty up in a nice bow and drive him all the way to Adelaide for presentation before Adelaide could change their minds.

Anyone that wouldn't want Danger at Punt Rd is in fantasy land.

He is a sensational football and also has less baggage.

apart from the fact that he didn't sign until the crows were prepared to mortage the revamped Adelaide oval to keep him. Likely earning 300k + more than DM , nice try , now reload now the facts are on the table :shh

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 08:56:11 AM »

You're delusional !
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 12:10:26 PM »
Dusty pulls in better babes

1980 I Was There

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 02:10:23 PM »

You're delusional !
  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Ya probably right :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 06:19:12 AM »
The Crows last year were a one-man band with Dangerfield carrying them. He played well against us.

Dusty needs to work his goalkicking. He'll blow any opposition away if he gets that part of his game right again.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 09:13:40 AM »
Dangerfield would be our best player if we had him. Absolute gun