Author Topic: 2014 membership commercial  (Read 6899 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 2014 membership commercial
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2014, 10:01:33 AM »
I've tried to like it but its just way too soft. Nothing uplifting about the song at all.

But didn't agree with your alternative Hyper!   :)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2014, 11:19:41 AM »
Not a huge fan myself but Katie Perry's - Roar would have appealed to the masses more than this song. I don't mind the idea behind the song - coming back to Punt Road  - though.

Offline hyperlite

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
I've tried to like it but its just way too soft. Nothing uplifting about the song at all.

Should have used this instead: http://youtu.be/UePtoxDhJSw

If you think that trash is better you're off your tree bra.

Have another puff.

But didn't agree with your alternative Hyper!   :)

Was a little tongue in cheek ;)  ::) :whistle

Seriously though - odd choice to have him singing in a membership campaign.
Not someone i think kids can relate to, and as far as i can remember hasn't had too many big hits in recent years.

I get the whole "coming home: back to punt road" concept, but as a membership commercial its maybe a little lame. As a short term campaign its "ok'.

gerkin greg

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2014, 03:17:37 PM »
can just imagine the howls from the cheap seats had the club forked out the clams needed to pay royalties to Katy stuffing Perry. what a waste of money.

alex lloyd did it for a bowl of pasta

no surprises the membership ad looks and sounds like a car commercial… hi jeep  :shh

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »
can just imagine the howls from the cheap seats had the club forked out the clams needed to pay royalties to Katy stuffing Perry. what a waste of money.

alex lloyd did it for a bowl of pasta

no surprises the membership ad looks and sounds like a car commercial… hi jeep  :shh

Wouldn't imagine just getting the royalties for an existing song would have cost anywhere near the same as getting an artist to rework his song and then having to pay the royalties to play the new song thereafter. As I said not saying I like either song better but the Roar song would have a broader appeal to a greater market than an old, mildly popular song. Have to step back sometimes and get past your personal preferences occasionally to make the right marketing decisions.

gerkin greg

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 03:55:34 PM »
yr kidding yrself if you think the cost of using a katy perry song in a television commercial is less than using alex who? lmfao

sometimes you need to step back and realise you have NFI what yr talking about and leave it to the pros

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 05:41:11 PM »
No offence to Alex but....
-The concept of this advertising extravaganza oozes bad decision making from the marketing department, not to mention how the original " something's coming" angle was so poorly launched.

Administratively it sounds like it's still quite the  boys club, complete with unwarranted back slapping, unqualified marketing gurus and perpetuators of unprofessionalism.

These Bozos fail in the post launch stage of product placement. 

No plan B. .......all over.

Ironically, the list isn't that misrepresented with Lloyd's music.
Safe ,middle of the road and easy going.

Ps
If Alex owns his own publishing he more than likely would have negotiated a rate with the RFC lesser than a Carrots PErry tune.

Caracella and Balmey.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »
Reckon you could probably get Survivor to let you use "Eye of the Tiger" for fairly cheap these days.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 07:55:38 PM »
I can see what they were trying to do...BUT it was all too.....kinda sanitised

Reckon you could probably get Survivor to let you use "Eye of the Tiger" for fairly cheap these days.

Im with the Diplodocus on this one.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 10:39:24 PM »
yr kidding yrself if you think the cost of using a katy perry song in a television commercial is less than using alex who? lmfao

sometimes you need to step back and realise you have NFI what yr talking about and leave it to the pros

yes bro.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 10:59:52 PM »
Just because it's not on the triple J hottest 100 doesn't make it a dud choice.

Song " coming home" is very appropriate because we are in a way returning to our spiritual home of Punt rd oval ( well the vfl team is anyway)

Well done richmond ....music nazis -tell your story walking.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 11:19:49 PM »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »

Should have used this instead: http://youtu.be/UePtoxDhJSw

Troy Taylor told me he enjoys this  :clapping

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 11:58:58 AM »

If we just gained the rights for both songs in their original form I would agree with you but Alex Lloyd rewrote the song for Richmond so that would have cost a pretty penny.

Who said I'm not a pro?  :P Do any of us really have any idea on this forum....other than you and Coach that is   :eyebrow :thumbsup.

gerkin greg

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 12:47:28 PM »
nope yr wrong except about Coach and I  :clapping