Author Topic: Leigh Matthews wants forwards/backs inside 50m arcs at all stoppages (Age)  (Read 3792 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Leigh way
   Jon Pierik
    The Age
    January 29, 2014

AFL great Leigh Matthews has proposed the radical plan of forcing a handful of players from each team to be positioned inside the 50-metre arcs at all stoppages in a bid to help ease the game of its modern-day blight - congestion.

Matthews, recovering from a ruptured Achilles tendon while skiing, admits it would be difficult to police but says it would be football ''utopia'' if it worked.

The plan would mean as soon as an umpire blew his whistle three or four players from each team would have to dash to an attacking or defensive arc should, as is commonly the case these days, the forwards and defenders find themselves locked in a 15-metre radius of the ball, resembling something of a rolling maul.

With fewer bodies around the ball, the game's best midfielders would have more room to shine, giving the game greater fluency.

''The only restriction where players can be on our ground is at centre bounces,'' Matthews said on Tuesday. ''I am of the view I would like less congestion around the footy, so, therefore, pull three or four pairs out in the extremities [of a large pack] at least.

''I understand the practical problem - how long do you allow teams to get their players back inside those arcs? I would like to see it but I don't know how you practically implement it.''

The three field umpires would be able to police the system but waiting for players to retreat to inside an arc could be time-consuming, adding to the frustration of supporters and viewers. ''It's more players [that's the issue]. If you watch footy now, all of a sudden players are in half a field, so all of a sudden there is a stoppage and eight have to break out to get to the other end,'' Matthews said.

''But it would be a good look. The game would be better if that happened but I don't know you could make it happen. I understand the practical problem - it was a little bit of utopia that one.''

Matthews, the four-time premiership coach and 3AW commentator, said the plan could be trialled in the NAB Challenge if it had merit among league powerbrokers.

Read more at: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/leigh-way-20140128-31l1y.html

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
Good idea. I'm all for it. But it would be much easier to implement if, instead of waiting ages for a random 4 players to run to the respective forward and back lines at every stoppage, the rules just make it illegal for the forwards and defenders to leave their respective forward/defensive 50 metre arcs at ANY time during the game.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Good idea. I'm all for it. But it would be much easier to implement if, instead of waiting ages for a random 4 players to run to the respective forward and back lines at every stoppage, the rules just make it illegal for the forwards and defenders to leave their respective forward/defensive 50 metre arcs at ANY time during the game.

well at least 4 from each side down back and 4 down forward.

:cheers

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Give them bibs and skirts too

gerkin greg

stupid silly

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
At least five men should be in catch...sorry,marking positions and only twelve fiel...sorry, players, are allowed outside the circle,...sorry, arc, for the first 15 ove.... sorry, minutes....

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
Give them bibs and skirts too

I fail to see how making the game less congested and ugly makes it any "softer" or like netball, as you're alluding to. 

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
The damned thing chopped me off mid-sentence >:(
I was just about to add that the tackles, hits and shirt-fronts will be just as bone-crunching as ever, with the added bonus of genuine one on one contests, instead of the Freo-style, stacks on the mill, twister on ice, all in farce that the game has degenerated into. 

gerkin greg

so every single stoppage there is a delay while every fwd/back walks back to their positions?  :lol

less game time, more ad breaks,  :cheers :clapping

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Royce

I could give you ten thousands words plus by why making players stick to the forward or back arc is not a good rule change. 

I however agree the sport is very ugly these days and has been for some time.

Norf took it to a new level with all 18 in the back 50. Its very effective thou as highlight end by norf v Richmond 2013. Freo, too.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Leigh Matthews wants forwards/backs inside 50m arcs at all stoppages (Age)
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 03:39:33 PM »
so every single stoppage there is a delay while every fwd/back walks back to their positions?  :lol

less game time, more ad breaks,  :cheers :clapping

No Gerks. As I said, if at least 4 forwards and their direct opponents are not allowed to venture out of their attacking 50 at any stage of the game there would be no delay for anybody to go anywhere. 

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 03:50:44 PM »
Royce

I could give you ten thousands words plus by why making players stick to the forward or back arc is not a good rule change. 

I however agree the sport is very ugly these days and has been for some time.

Norf took it to a new level with all 18 in the back 50. Its very effective thou as highlight end by norf v Richmond 2013. Freo, too.

Yeah, I was at that North game last year (you probably were too) and it was an absolute disgrace watching them clog up the cohesion of our forward line like that for four quarters. That, and watching Freo play that stacks on the mill garbage week in week out is why I'm happy to try something drastic to combat it. If you agree that the game is very ugly now, what would YOU suggest the AFL do to combat these abhorrent tactics? 

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 03:52:39 PM »
what happens when there is a contested ball near the 50m line? if the ball spills outside the 50m arc, do the forwards and backs have to stop competing and stay within the 50m arc and wait for someone else to come and get it?

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

tony_montana

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 04:17:08 PM »
On this one I agree with KB, just tighten up the interchange and force players to stay on the ground longer and you will ease the congestion. Simple and we'll see a better game too

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 04:23:02 PM »
On this one I agree with KB, just tighten up the interchange and force players to stay on the ground longer and you will ease the congestion. Simple and we'll see a better game too

Yep.

The only other new rule I'd like to see is an indefinate moratorium on stuffing rule changes.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.