Author Topic: Which players at your club will be the difference in making the finals? (Age)  (Read 808 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The Age says Dusty.

Men who matter
     Matt Murnane
    The Age
    February 2, 2014

Coming into this season, nearly every team, except for a handful of building and re-building clubs, will feel it has a legitimate chance of playing finals. But 12 or 13 teams just doesn't go into eight.

So which players will make the difference when it comes to your club forcing its way into the finals?

These are the players who could give a club that little extra. It could be a player recruited from another club or a bloke on the comeback trail after injury. It may be a player usually rated as ''above average'' who, for whatever reason, only had an ''average'' year in 2013 and is ready to re-discover his best.

Simply put, here's a list of the men who need to step up and make their mark at your club this year.

RICHMOND

Dustin Martin

Gms Disp   Goals G.Ass

2012  20   22.4   23        8

2013  23   24.2   23      13

Martin is already good. Very good in fact. And there was nothing wrong with what he did in 2013 - he finished runner-up in the best and fairest to Daniel Jackson. But you just get the feeling the super-talented 22-year-old could be ready to make the final step and become one of the game's elite players this year. An off-season of controversy where the tactics used by both sides in his contract negotiations were questioned has no doubt raised the stakes, and Martin will be desperate to repay the club and fans that have stuck by him through off-field dramas. On the field, he has already produced play that belongs in the elite category, but not with the same reliability or regularity as players already in that zone. Doing so this year, or making improvement in that direction, could earn Martin his first All-Australian jumper and give the Tigers another rise as they aim to go deeper into September.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/men-who-matter-20140201-31u86.html

the claw

i dont expect huge improvement from the likes of martin deledio cotchin gradual steady improvement yes working on weaknesses yes.
for us to succeed we need the likes of astbury griffiths hampson helbig arnot some of the new recruits to actually improve take the next step and force the likes of king edwards edwards grigg newman petterd possibly vickery out of the side. and a few others need to be improve as well as being kept on thsir toes.
our better players got us to finals to go further we need much more input from others.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
i dont expect huge improvement from the likes of martin deledio cotchin gradual steady improvement yes working on weaknesses yes.
for us to succeed we need the likes of astbury griffiths hampson helbig arnot some of the new recruits to actually improve take the next step and force the likes of king edwards edwards grigg newman petterd possibly vickery out of the side. and a few others need to be improve as well as being kept on thsir toes.
our better players got us to finals to go further we need much more input from others.

Short, sharp and to the point. And it makes sense.

You feeling OK, Claw?

:lol
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Claw you keep saying Vickery, just like you used to say Rance was no good. You seem to have conceded that Rance is actually a good player, hopefully soon you will see that Big Tyrone is also pretty good. Your expectations on our players is way over the top. He is no Wayne Carey but still contributes pretty well for still a very young ruckman/KPF. Pretty sure if you asked any coach in the AFL they would say he is tracking just nicely.
He his a superstar compared to players like Astbury and Griffiths, get on their case!

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
An off-season of controversy where the tactics used by both sides in his contract negotiations were questioned has no doubt raised the stakes

What did Richmond do that was questionable?

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame

You feeling OK, Claw?

You didn't correct the numerous errors in punctuation. Are you okay '65?  ;D
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.

i find myself agreeing with about 50% of your posts this week.
Poo is getting weird.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks

You feeling OK, Claw?

You didn't correct the numerous errors in punctuation. Are you okay '65?  ;D

I have given up on Claw.

There is some hope for the rest of you.

Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....