Author Topic: 'Our tall man stocks are pretty good at the moment': Lade (Warrnambool Standard)  (Read 597 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers feed at the Reid
By Aidan Fawkes
The Warrnambool Standard
Feb. 6, 2014

WEST Coast has Dean Cox and Nic Naitanui, but don’t discount the influence Ivan Maric and Shaun Hampson can have at Richmond.

That’s the opinion of ruck/forward coach Brendan Lade, who yesterday mentioned the Tigers’ pair in the same breath as the West Coast guns.
See your ad here

“If we can get those two playing well, we’ll start getting a partnership like Nick Naitanui and Dean Cox,” he said.

The verdict isn’t as out there as it sounds. The thought of Richmond having some of the best big-man stocks in the AFL seemed ludicrous less than a decade ago.

But the arrival and emergence of Maric at Tigerland, coupled with the recruiting of Hampson from Carlton, has given coach Damien Hardwick two ruckmen to build a side around.

They join gun forward Jack Riewoldt and sidekick Ty Vickery, defenders Alex Rance and Troy Chaplin and a host of emerging key-position prospects on the list.

“I think our tall man stocks are pretty good at the moment. In the last 10 years they are the best they’ve been at Richmond,” Lade said.

The Tigers were late yesterday en route back to Melbourne after spending two days in Warrnambool as part of their AFL community camp.

Their day-two itinerary included an open training session at Reid Oval yesterday morning, watched by about 150 appreciative fans.

The Tigers also visited retirement homes and hospitals, ran an autograph session and took part in an indigenous community engagement session.

The Tigers’ effort to reach the elimination final last year after 11 seasons in the September wilderness won recognition throughout the AFL.

But the defeat to Carlton in that match, after leading by 33 points, also represented a missed opportunity.

“Our goal at the start of the year was to make finals and we made them,” Lade said.

“It was obviously disappointing to lose the final, but we learnt a lot out of that game and all the games we won and lost during the year.

“We realised we have to play footy for four quarters.

“When we have momentum with us, we need to make the most of it and kick goals.”

Lade said Richmond had the capacity to improve, but needed its mid-tier players to step up.

“We’re hoping our improvement will come from our third, fourth and fifth-year players. I’m not going to single anyone out but that’s where we can improve,” he said.

Lade was also confident Colac-raised rover Nathan Foley could be a regular fixture in the side this season.

Foley, injury-plagued for much of his career, played 16 matches last season before being dropped for the elimination final.

“It was obviously disappointing for the individual. Nathan was disappointed at the time, but he was at the game and was very encouraging for the boys,” Lade said.

“He was trying to get us up for the win, which is exactly what you want when someone isn’t playing.

“It would’ve been very easy to sook about it and go away. But he’s come out this season and trained the house down.”

http://www.standard.net.au/story/2069710/gallery-tigers-feed-at-the-reid/?cs=74

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
"“If we can get those two playing well, we’ll start getting a partnership like Nick Naitanui and Dean Cox,” he said.

The verdict isn’t as out there as it sounds. The thought of Richmond having some of the best big-man stocks in the AFL seemed ludicrous less than a decade ago."

Ah,yes it is.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
DNR
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Agree, they will work well together IMO!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
To me the success of them playing together will be as much about how they generate goals when resting forward as much as how they do in the ruck contests.

I think they will be very successfully against the other ruckmen which I think is really exciting for the club but they need to kick  and create goals too

the claw

fluff piece.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
We realised we have to play footy for four quarters.

Well eff me ! Did I really just read that ?
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos