Author Topic: Richmond vs Carlton @ MCG - Round 2, 2014  (Read 10170 times)

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond vs Carlton @ MCG - Round 2, 2014
« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2014, 12:38:56 AM »
Cant believe the supporters in here having a grizzle about the game. WE WON enjoy it you retards
  :gotigers

Offline Golfprotiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Risking Head and Shin
« Reply #181 on: March 28, 2014, 12:44:16 AM »
I don't know if I can go on boys! HELP  :pray
Tommy Hafey - "There's nothing more tiger-ish than a bloody tiger, a wounded tiger''

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #182 on: March 28, 2014, 12:44:44 AM »
 ;D some of you need to attend the game instead of bashing your keyboard l mean bagging you club like that. You aint supporters carrying on like that. Grow the stuff up

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2014, 12:54:29 AM »
Hampson does well with his limitations.
Endeavour is good.

Thomas. Bigger balls than lids.

Lids. Dumb as dog poo.

Ellis. Good first half. Where'd he go?

Conca. Does nothing. Weak link.

Newman. Never been as good as they say.

Foley. Over.

Vicky sue. Kicked 4 and was the standout forward but his stuff ups surely stem from autism.

Martin. Hardwick has NFI how to utilise this bloke. Has him in the fwd square in the last two minutes when the game is being fought in the Carlton fwd line. FMD.

GRIFF. In the best

Cotch. Normal.

Houli. Passenger.

Jack. Nice pack mark.

Edwards. Handy.

Grigg. Meh.

Petard. Was good in the last few minutes. Ha.

Morris. Always gets caned by little fast blokes. Not that skilful in hindsight.

Caracella and Balmey.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2014, 12:56:27 AM »
We didn't win it. They lost it.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2014, 01:48:10 AM »
Hampson does well with his limitations.
Endeavour is good.

Thomas. Bigger balls than lids.

Lids. Dumb as dog poo.

Ellis. Good first half. Where'd he go?

Conca. Does nothing. Weak link.

Newman. Never been as good as they say.

Foley. Over.

Vicky sue. Kicked 4 and was the standout forward but his stuff ups surely stem from autism.

Martin. Hardwick has NFI how to utilise this bloke. Has him in the fwd square in the last two minutes when the game is being fought in the Carlton fwd line. FMD.

GRIFF. In the best

Cotch. Normal.

Houli. Passenger.

Jack. Nice pack mark.

Edwards. Handy.

Grigg. Meh.

Petard. Was good in the last few minutes. Ha.

Morris. Always gets caned by little fast blokes. Not that skilful in hindsight.

Sounds like sour grapes to me  :wallywink.  Always wondered who you actually supported. Now I know. It's Carlton !  Haha ! suck it up champ. Your mob lost ! Not good enough.

Also for those bagging Morris. Grimes was on Yarran in the third qtr when he ran amok.
after watching the replay just now I gotta say that Matt Thomas was pivotal in the those last frantic minutes. Good stuff !

Go Tiges !
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2014, 01:57:05 AM »
Petterd and Grigg might have chalked up some big stats tonight, but I thought both of them were ordinary.

Grigg was ok early. went missing. Petterd was good in the second half. He'll rightly be named in the best players.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2014, 03:05:15 AM »
This win will hide a hell of alot from many Richmond supporters. You know the ones...probably 1-2 generations off the back of a donkey and still coming to grips with rudimentary tools.

Ill take the 4pts especially against Carlton but gee whiz.

When the heat is on we turn to absolute water. We don't run hard enough. Our leaders dont lead and go missing with almost no capacity to bring themselves into the game.

Downhill skiers.

Lids tagged out. Cotch tagged out. Agree with the comments that Foley and Newman appear finished.

Most of the kids fall in behind this and follow the example set.

11 of our players laid either 0 or 1 tackle for the entire match.  :banghead
Thomas laid 20% of our entire teams tackles. Wheres the defensive pressure support?

Fitness appears to be poor.

Our coach has no real plan b apart from minor adjustments and tinkering to plan A.

On the plus side loved Thomas and Griffs game.

Cant see us improving on last year. This might be as good as it gets before we slide backwards in the next few years.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2014, 03:50:08 AM »
It's just like watching the same old horror movie. " Comeback on Elm Street ".
Unleash the tornado

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2014, 04:18:05 AM »
Who was that little bald number 11 for Carlton? I don't think his green guernsey was regulation and should be looked at.
:lol :clapping

FFS the Carlton fans had the nerve to blame the umps where I was sitting. Stupid stuffs. Flipped 'em the bird after the Dusty goal. All can go EAD.

I had those sweaty pigs all over me all night. Try some deodorant you dirty scumbags. Dusty saved my arse though and I had 2 clear rows to myself. Big Duzzy  :clapping

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2014, 04:28:43 AM »
The Bad:

Surprise surprpise Grigg was ok when we were flying and a hand-waving passenger (with the occasional cameo to drop an easy mark)when we were being run down ...and even when he was ok his crap delivery into the forward cost us chances at goals - as it does every match. Racking up ineffectual possessions, the bloke is just useless - can't believe he's still a walk up start every week.

Another fine disappearing act from Deledio - getting taken out of it by third talls now ffs- Spider Everitt's special needs kid brother no less.   Getting to the point we need to send a tagger to his tagger. Either way needs to go back to HBF, not always, but definitely when we're under siege. Morris can be his satellite.

Speaking of Morris - didn't we get him to shut down small forwards? 'nuff said. Too excitable, over commits , over runs the loose ball, willy nilly with his disposal. Deceptively slow too. Upgrade required soon.

Hamspud - popped up for  important marks near the end (followed up by nothing kicks to no-one in particular) but before that nowhere to bee seen around the ground - just no presence whatsoever. Is he really as athletic as everyone says? Often doesn't look it at all. As for his much-vaunted ruck work - like last week was on top early before getting toweled up at the business half. Best thing he did was  take Grigg out and even then he didn't do that properly , the useless prick got up again. Ex-Carlton conspiracy? Hmmm....

Edwards - the most frustrating player on our list , this was another one his classic "threatening" almost but not quite games. Body too fast for his mind - his nickname is missing the letter w. He'd be like Peter Matera if the game was played at 80's pace. The closest we can come to replicate those conditions for him is to make him the sub. Should have more of an impact than Foley at least.

Conca - starting to worry me. Pick 6 looking massive overs at this stage. A handful of awesome bullet passes a year does not a gun make. Turns it over, lacks composure, handballs too hard, isn't clean enough (Though this is a team-wide problem),ineffective tackler, gives away frees. Stats may say otherwise, I dunno, but he doesn't even seem to winning as many contests either these days.

Houli - soft, panic merchant, it's either him or Grigg - we can't afford both - I pick Houli.... just. Preferably in Grigg's role - at least he can kick well - sometimes.

Foley & Newman - lost your fork Hardwick? How much more evidence do you need, they're practically charcoal ffs.

The ok:

Petterd - I'm not as harsh on him as most are, but he was horrible for three quarters, good when it mattered and I suppose that's what matters. Got better as the side got worse. If nothing else you can't accuse him of being a downhill skier.

Grimes - solid if not spectacular , he didn't quite give us the rebound Rance would have, but he didn't have the brain fades that Rance would have either and of course he generally keeps his feet. I'll no doubt cop poo from fanboys of our most overrated player - but I dare say we might have even lost had Rance been out there in the last quarter in that situation instead if Grimes. Some might suggest the flipside is that Rance may have provided the run we needed when Carlton had us trapped in our defensive 50 - well to that I'd say it didn't really help us much the last three times we played them.

Riewoldt - better tonight, played deeper for the most part, smart play & criminally underrated work rate as usual - overall nothing to really bag nor write home about though, which is probably not good enough for a player of his quality.

Chaplin - solid down back as usual (last week notwithstanding) but maybe it was my imagination but from where I was sitting he seemed like he barely touched the ball in the last quarter - and it was down his end for most of it.

The Good:

Griffiths - have to keep playing him - at least he can take a mark - contested ones even. Took the most important mark of the match. Like to see him use that big boot more often - hasn't used it yet this year. Maybe he could still be a swingman? Yeah...nah....

Cotchin - quite extraordinary to see people bagging tonight's effort, particularly over at the other place  (It's quite extraordinary most of the times people go after him -usually on the basis of his field kicking and he should be bagged because others cop it fot their turnovers - yeah well there's a simple &  valid reason they should and he shouldn't and if you really watch Cotchin & understand football or life in general for that matter, you won't need to have it explained to you.) Basically - he ain't there tonight we lose.... in fact he ain't there Carlton are probably in front by 3/4 time and eventually winning by 50+. Partly because we were never would've be up by 37 in the first place.

Ellis - kicked two and kept Gibbs quiet in the first half - did nothing in attack in the second but still kept Gibbs quiet. (one late arse goal doesn't count - would be like saying Edwards had a good game because of his early goal)

Vlastuin - another impressive display of smarts & composure beyond his years from the Voss Twin. Everything the side as a whole has lacked for 30 years he has in spades. Gun.

Martin - like Deledio - but for different reasons - we need about four of him.

King - yeah he's clearly coming down the other side but he still has more presence in his figernail than the likes of Mr. Megan Gayle has in his whole body. Seemed to get under Murphy's skin and I don't think it's any coincidence Murphy started to have even more of an influence after King was subbed. Still life in the old toy dog yet...though no more than 10 more games worth if the club is smart.

Vickery - good on ya son - now give us a season's worth of that if it's not too much trouble.

Thomas - yeah he was great - disposal by foot has been surprisingly good,  work rate and physicallity, which has never been his issue, can't be faulted - 11 tackles, say no more.....well, no more except to add the caveat that he is also lucky umpires aren't exactly red hot on HTB so far this year.

Astbury - probably his best game in defence so far. He's slow, but solid & assured and did as decent  a job on Waite as anyone at Richmond has over the years.  A bit more pace around him and his own lack of it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Summary:

We won because Carlton missed easy shots and then ran out of legs themselves. They know they still have our measure and we should know it too. Muhammad Ali Malthouse certainly has Foreman Hardwick's. Apparently Hardwick was all smiles and bouncing around after the match - he really shouldn't be, nor should the players be after the adrenalin wears off. Any of the top teams would've absolutely slaughtered us tonight.

We still have fitness issues and don't run hard enough. Tackling is still pathetic for the most part. Players clearly lack confidence in themselves and each other when under pressure. We lose contests and mauls more due to panic,  poor skills and lack of awareness. in close than lack of effort. There's a distinct lack of cool heads. Too few clean, one-touch players. Some say we should keep attacking but  I say we play at the wrong tempos at the wrong time. Too many players lack football nouse and game sense. We generally get killed in the air. Hardwick and the team seem to both stop dead in unison -too often it seems Hardwick is content to let the side live or die by the gameplan as if it still needs to be ingrained - which if it is is an indictment on all involved.  Also, IMO we don't use the corridor enough and as others have pointed out, kick too often the pockets.

ATM, there are two easy ways to beat us - the North slingshot method or just play 1-on-1. Hardwick needs to start training for 1-on-1 situations( can't believe there's a coach at any level that doesn't) he needs to more proactive & ruthless with his selections and a bit less cute with his positions. We're still carrying too many weak links.

Like to see Arnot and Gordon get starts. Really wish we'd upgraded Banfumbles. Pace and decent crumbers are sorely needed. Miles would've be better than Foley too. Edwards & hopefully Elton need to keep pressure on Vickery and Vickery needs to know it.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 05:30:55 AM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2014, 07:10:55 AM »
We won and that's all that matters

;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2014, 07:15:56 AM »
The Good: Griffiths played his best game for the club. His marking was outstanding. Astbury played his best game for the club. Was solid all night. Grimes played well as did Thomas. Martin's game was very good and his goal in the last quarter is why I am so glad he stayed at Richmond. Hardwick got it right in playing Jack mainly nearer goals and got it right playing Martin up forward particularly 2nd half. For not many possessions Jack played a good game.
The bad: Should have never let them back into the game. Went into shell. Became scared and chocked under pressure. Got to learn to continue to play attacking football under pressure. Senior players went missing in the second half. Didn't lead by example.
Need Improvement: Hampson needs to do more around the ground. Morris didn't play well last night. Needs to get back to his best.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2014, 07:43:11 AM »
I think we are lacking a lot of speed. I would say our fastest player is Deledio and he never gets to run with it. Losing mat White has hurt us, need to acquire someone similar ( maybe miles or banfield ?

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2014, 08:43:54 AM »
We won and that's all that matters

;D

Amen. A lot of mental hurdles are overcome with every win against the Blues.

Lots of room for improvement but for now it's on to next week.