Author Topic: Troy Chaplin on SEN (audio and summary)  (Read 1132 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Troy Chaplin on SEN (audio and summary)
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
Troy Chaplin On SEN's Morning Glory earlier today ....

AUDIO: https://soundcloud.com/sen1116/troy-chaplin-on-morning-glory

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Troy Chaplin on SEN (audio and summary)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:05:58 PM »
Summary

* Not so much areas of concern [with the NAB Challenge loss to Melbourne] but definitely room for improvement. Unfortunately, we were defending all night and it takes a toll on you. They pretty much played the way we wanted to play which was a little bit disappointing.

* I don’t think Melbourne are going to be as bad as what people are saying they are. Obviously, they’ve gone out and got a great coach in Paul Roos who’s got the CV to back that up. Their composure was pretty good the other night and they certainly tore us apart in certain areas.

* On Newy's knee injury:
Yeah I think the scans came back that he is really, really old. He’s a great guy and someone that is really the barometer for us, the guys really love playing for him.

*  On arriving at Tigerland last year:
I was in rehab at first and probably the thing that really helped me was there were a few senior guys in there in Jack, Axel, Lids, Kingy and big Ivan.  So you sort of got to hang around with the old guys and settle in a bit easier. For the first few months, it was just sit back and get a feel for the place to see how it worked; what players were like and who spoke up in meetings. You get an idea of how guys receive feedback and whether you need to put your arm around them, pump them up, or you can be a little bit firmer with them. The first few months were also about understanding their game plan because every club’s different. But once I got a feel for it then it was just be your normal self, speak up as much as possible and don’t hold it back. I got really encouraged by the coaches to do that because they see me as an experienced player and an old head amongst the younger group. So that was probably the main focus for me when I first got to the Club.

* Chaplin was not worried about teammate Jake King’s relationship with bikie leader Toby Mitchell. "Probably the only thing that he did wrong was bring Toby into the change rooms and obviously the club was a little bit disappointed with that. From my view and the playing group we don’t really see an issue with it."

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 03:42:24 PM »
More from Chaplin:

* I think last year for Rance, he took a really big step and got some notches under his belt in terms of playing on key forwards.  He kept Buddy to one goal and he played some fantastic footy towards the end of the season. He’d probably admit it took him a while to get going – the first four or five games – but overall I thought he was nearly All-Australian last year and he didn’t even make the squad. His ability to just get there and make a contest is a standout. He looks beaten at times but Rancey is one of the quickest, he’s one of the fittest and one of the strongest at the Club.  You can see that and you know what you’re going to get from Alex Rance every week. He just gives you everything he’s got. He gets an arm in when you don’t think he’s going to. Last year, he was in the top three or four in the AFL for intercept marks or possession gains from the opposition.  So, he certainly turned the corner in that. He admits he has his moments here and there, but he’s really working on trying to add some composure to his game and I think he’s becoming one of the elite backs of the competition.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-02-19/rance-receives-expert-endorsement

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 04:20:05 PM »
More from Chaplin:

I think he’s becoming one of the elite backs of the competition.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-02-19/rance-receives-expert-endorsement

He's certainly better than you.