Author Topic: Maric & Lennon both facing surgery [merged]  (Read 7113 times)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Maric & Lennon both facing surgery [merged]
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2014, 07:54:53 AM »
Given his character it is not surprising to hear that Maric may have played against medical advice. He is a team player and believe he would not have wanted to let the team down. If he was at risk of worsening the injury by playing the coaching staff should have intervened. Ultimately a coach and the selection panel has the final say whether a player plays.

tony_montana

« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2014, 08:21:08 AM »
Given his character it is not surprising to hear that Maric may have played against medical advice. He is a team player and believe he would not have wanted to let the team down. If he was at risk of worsening the injury by playing the coaching staff should have intervened. Ultimately a coach and the selection panel has the final say whether a player plays.

Heard from where? Its just something someone on this site put out there as pure speculation

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: February 28, 2014, 12:24:44 PM »
I agree that it sounds bad but until we know all the facts it's hard to blame anyone. Who knows, Wallet may have demanded he go back on and overrode the medical team!

So firstly you suggest that Maric made the decision and now you suggest that the senior coach overrode the medical staff.
In the first case the player is an employee and must follow medical advice.
In the second case the doctor has a responsibility to the player - under which numerous lawsuits have been lodged over the years - to treat him in his best long term interests.
To fail to act in the best interests of the player (by allowing the coach to make medical decisions) is to go against medical, employment and legal ethics.
Two different situations. I am a doctor so I think I know the laws better than you. Your first case is wrong.  Nobody can force a person to have any medical treatment.  That is an individuals responsibility. It's his choice what is or isn't done to his body.
In the second scenario the doctor can only again give his or her professional opinion and advice.  It's up to the player again to choose. If the coach is telling him that he needs himand he says he is okay to go, he may choose again to ignore medical advice.
The bottom line is that a doctor can only strongly recommend what he or she thinks is best. If others decide not to heed the advice they do that at their own peril.
As a doctor all I do is clearly document the advice I gave and thus I cannot be sued for putting the player in harms way.

Understand?
With your statement about being a doctor, I now understand why you have come up with two explanations of why the medical staff is not to blame for poor medical outcomes.
In the case of an employee having medical treatment directed by their boss, in the past my employer has taken medical advice internally and overturned my private GP's advice on rehabilitation and return to work. The same employer has had their doctor call my GP to "advise" on treatment that he gave to me. 

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2014, 12:45:27 PM »
I agree that it sounds bad but until we know all the facts it's hard to blame anyone. Who knows, Wallet may have demanded he go back on and overrode the medical team!

So firstly you suggest that Maric made the decision and now you suggest that the senior coach overrode the medical staff.
In the first case the player is an employee and must follow medical advice.
In the second case the doctor has a responsibility to the player - under which numerous lawsuits have been lodged over the years - to treat him in his best long term interests.
To fail to act in the best interests of the player (by allowing the coach to make medical decisions) is to go against medical, employment and legal ethics.
Two different situations. I am a doctor so I think I know the laws better than you. Your first case is wrong.  Nobody can force a person to have any medical treatment.  That is an individuals responsibility. It's his choice what is or isn't done to his body.
In the second scenario the doctor can only again give his or her professional opinion and advice.  It's up to the player again to choose. If the coach is telling him that he needs himand he says he is okay to go, he may choose again to ignore medical advice.
The bottom line is that a doctor can only strongly recommend what he or she thinks is best. If others decide not to heed the advice they do that at their own peril.
As a doctor all I do is clearly document the advice I gave and thus I cannot be sued for putting the player in harms way.

Understand?
With your statement about being a doctor, I now understand why you have come up with two explanations of why the medical staff is not to blame for poor medical outcomes.
In the case of an employee having medical treatment directed by their boss, in the past my employer has taken medical advice internally and overturned my private GP's advice on rehabilitation and return to work. The same employer has had their doctor call my GP to "advise" on treatment that he gave to me.
The explanations are only there to give people other possible scenarios that may have occurred with Maric and Richo.  All I am saying is that unless we know all the facts, we shouldn't blame the medical staff.  That doesn't mean they didn't stuff things up.  It just means I view them as innocent until proven guilty.

With your situation, it's difficult to say without knowing all the facts.  If you are taking time off work for a work related injury I would think it reasonable that the employer can use his own medical practitioner to sort out proper rehabilitation.  Of course if your own doctor disagrees with this course you can take it to a third person for their opinion. It then may become a legal battle on what is deemed the correct line of therapy if you have two opinions that contradict the employers medical opinion.  A nice letter from a solicitor usually settles such matters very quickly.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2014, 01:02:04 PM »

Heard from where? Its just something someone on this site put out there as pure speculation

conjecture not speculation

tony_montana

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »

conjecture not speculation

whats the difference?

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2014, 04:52:42 PM »
I wear spectacles when speculating and a condom when conjeculating?
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2014, 05:03:31 PM »
 :lol

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Maric Post Surgery Update
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
Maric on the mend
richmondfc.com.au 
March 4, 2014 1:00 PM

You can’t keep a good big man down . . .

Just a week after undergoing surgery on a troublesome ankle, key Richmond ruckman Ivan Maric was back out on the training track on Punt Road Oval, at the ME Bank Centre.

Maric is making steady progress after having bone spurs removed from the ankle.

“It’s pretty good.  I haven’t done much for the last week . . . just been sitting on the couch, so it’s feeling not too bad,” Maric told ‘Roar Vision’.

“I was off crutches after about two days and was out there today doing some hand skills.  It was good to get out of the house.”

Full article:
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-03-04/maric-on-the-mend

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »
And here's Big Ivan talking about it:

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-03-04/maric-injury-update

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2014, 06:44:16 PM »
Big Ivan back at training today although not surprisingly restricted to handballing in the rehab group.

http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/news-photo/ivan-maric-takes-part-in-handball-drills-during-a-richmond-news-photo/476883221

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Re: Maric Post Surgery Update
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2014, 07:19:53 PM »
Maric on the mend
richmondfc.com.au 
March 4, 2014 1:00 PM

You can’t keep a good big man down . . .

Just a week after undergoing surgery on a troublesome ankle, key Richmond ruckman Ivan Maric was back out on the training track on Punt Road Oval, at the ME Bank Centre.

Maric is making steady progress after having bone spurs removed from the ankle.

“It’s pretty good.  I haven’t done much for the last week . . . just been sitting on the couch, so it’s feeling not too bad,” Maric told ‘Roar Vision’.

“I was off crutches after about two days and was out there today doing some hand skills.  It was good to get out of the house.”

Full article:
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-03-04/maric-on-the-mend
great to hear, hope the good news continues :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2014, 07:19:58 PM »
Idiot medical team.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2014, 07:36:49 PM »
Idiot medical team.
What have they done now?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2014, 08:27:34 PM »
Same. Decide he needs surgery in February when he should have had it scraped last year when he had his groin done.
Fkwits
Caracella and Balmey.