Author Topic: Deledio interview - Mar 5 / Riewoldt set to return for Tigers (afl site)  (Read 1438 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Riewoldt set to return for Tigers

Peter Ryan 
afl.com.au
March 5, 2014 2:51 PM

RICHMOND star Jack Riewoldt is likely to return for Friday afternoon’s practice match against Essendon, according to teammate Brett Deledio.

Riewoldt missed the final NAB Challenge match against Collingwood with a quad complaint but Deledio said the 25-year-old goalkicker had trained hard over the summer and was back to his vibrant self.

After missing selection in the club's leadership group for 2014, Riewoldt placed a media ban on himself.

However, Deledio said the Coleman medallist of 2010 and 2012 was ready to go.

"It would have been a tough day for him [today] with the media ban, with all these guys here," Deledio joked to AFL.com.au at the annual AFL captains’ day in Adelaide.

"Jack is his vibrant self. He plays his first game this Friday and hopefully he'll kick a couple and get himself right for season proper."

Riewoldt kicked 58 goals last season, his lowest tally since 2009, but he was equal leader for assists at Tigerland as the club attempted to develop his role and find more options in attack.

"I'm looking forward to the big fella having a good year because he has trained hard over the off-season," Deledio said.

Deledio was effusive about Dustin Martin, who had a tumultuous end to last season when he flirted with the idea of leaving the Tigers.

Martin, 22, had just finished runner-up in the club best and fairest and polled 16 votes in the Brownlow medal, when he began exploring trade options.

Deledio, however, thinks the sky is the limit for Martin.

"He could do anything. He has got so much talent, so much ability and he is learning how to train hard and make the most of it at the moment. He has got a lot of upside, which is great for us," he said.

Deledio helps lead a team that has had its ability to close out games questioned in the off-season, after the second term fade-out in the losing final against Carlton.

In a final that was played at an uncharacteristically hectic pace, the Tigers were unable to protect a 26-point half-time lead.

Deledio admitted Richmond’s leaders had done plenty of soul searching over the summer on that issue.

"It's a hard one to answer. Myself and Trent (Cotchin) and all the other leaders have questioned ourselves on what we could have done on that day and in those trying moments in the third and last quarter," Deledio said.

"We are better for the run so our biggest challenge is to get back there and have another go at it.

"Most of it is about playing your own role and doing the right thing yourself and once you are doing that, you can get along and help other people do their stuff. That is the main thing," Deledio said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-05/jack-ticking-the-box

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
In many ways that loss against Carlton in the first final was as gut wrenching as the 82 grand final.
I'm still depressed over it and resent all those muthastuffkas who capitulated like wet paper bags.
I'm also sick to death of the constant excuses and admissions of guilt surrounding it.
It's inexcusable and only a top 4 berth throughout the season would validate all the BS we've had to endure.
If not, reality will be, that last year was the result of a favorable draw and climatic, political upheaval as perpetuated by Essendon.

It's also worth mentioning that hardwick can be so easily out coached by Roos, who has spent years out if the game. 
Need I mention it was Melbourne......

That's where it's at.

As fir Jack, I'm looking forward to a season that will outdo any of his previous.
He's turned his back on media commitments and will have no excuses should he not reach that personal height.
He had the ability but has lacked the focus and drive.
A common characteristic amongst his generation.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
In many ways that loss against Carlton in the first final was as gut wrenching as the 82 grand final.
I'm still depressed over it and resent all those muthastuffkas who capitulated like wet paper bags.
I'm also sick to death of the constant excuses and admissions of guilt surrounding it.
It's inexcusable and only a top 4 berth throughout the season would validate all the BS we've had to endure.
If not, reality will be, that last year was the result of a favorable draw and climatic, political upheaval as perpetuated by Essendon.

It's also worth mentioning that hardwick can be so easily out coached by Roos, who has spent years out if the game. 
Need I mention it was Melbourne......

That's where it's at.

As fir Jack, I'm looking forward to a season that will outdo any of his previous.
He's turned his back on media commitments and will have no excuses should he not reach that personal height.
He had the ability but has lacked the focus and drive.
A common characteristic amongst his generation.
You can't be serious in taking a practice match result into calculations when looking at coaching ability.  Roos may be able to out coach Dimma, but surely you'd wait till the real thing before you make statements like that?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
I am.

I am serious.

Caracella and Balmey.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I am.

I am serious.
I respect your opinion but I cannot agree.  I can't take practice match tactics as representing a coaches ability.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Pretty well said ox, walk the talk hey :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Mutual respect, fullaz.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Yep, the Roos comment is silly, Ox. It was a pre-season game bra.
 Otherwise a solid post. I too am real sick of the post final 'soul searching' shyte. Just shut up and get the job done this year.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Will my argument carry weight if Melbourne beat us season proper?
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Oxford speaks the truth.

As for Melbourne - as I said when everyone ridiculed & dog-piled ol' claw for suggesting they could finish above us this year - how many saw the season Port had coming?  Bottom 4 in 2012 , just as big a rabble, broke, was even talk of the club folding in the next few years.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Will my argument carry weight if Melbourne beat us season proper?
Yes, of course.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
Favorable draw helped no doubt but your second point there might just be the biggest pile of garbage i've read this year.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos