Author Topic: Patrick Smith obsessed with RFC  (Read 2932 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Patrick Smith obsessed with RFC
« on: June 02, 2004, 01:19:52 AM »
Double-barrel shotgun is pointed
Patrick Smith
The Australian
June 02, 2004

THE Richmond board room has a suspicious look to it. A large wall cabinet that once held televisions and sophisticated recording and replay devices is bare but for dust. The predicted $2million loss is cutting deeply. Apparently everything is in hock.

President Clinton Casey is quick to reassure us. Thieves and not pawn brokers cleaned out the boardroom six weeks ago. There has been no rush to replace the TVs and VCRs. With four wins from 10 matches, replay facilities are not in big demand at Punt Road.

Casey is under siege. He doesn't know exactly from whom or from where, but he knows the double-barrel shotgun of frustration and disappointment is pointed at him.

Yesterday he met Leon Daphne, the immediate past president of the club. Daphne has voiced his concern about the future of the Tigers.

Over coffee with Daphne, Casey says he was able to explain the club's financial position and his predecessor left wiser and in peace.

But Daphne has never wanted to return to power. Not like Charles Macek, the former board member and would-be president. He did the media rounds yesterday after telling The Australian that "a fish rots from the head".

For the moment, Macek sits and watches, his finger on the trigger and Richmond on the nose.

Casey's strategy is to hold his nerve. He admits the public perception is of a club in turmoil. It is not competitive on the field or in the marketplace.

A $2m loss is freely touted. Board members have left. Coach Danny Frawley can convince no one, not even his players, that the Tigers can play good football. Casey must find a new CEO. Talkback callers are increasingly cranky. Perception and reality blur easily at Punt Road.

In many ways the club has become Casey's personal chattel. His $1.6m guarantee with the ANZ Bank is all that has allowed the club to trade. It has given him enormous power.

Three board members left in a fortnight, more pushed than planned. Only one has been replaced.

Casey says reports that he cannot fill the vacancies are nonsense. His list of applicants for the positions grows by the week. A woman would be good, but the president is in no rush.

He figures a board of seven might even be more manageable and effective than a board of nine. Eight marketing staff were retrenched in December and an out-sourcing agreement with Elite Sports Properties is being reassessed.

A review of the football department was initiated at last night's board meeting. The task for football director Greg Miller is to assess team progress during Frawley's five years as coach.

Expected to be finished in a month, it is fanciful to think it will reflect well on Frawley, his assistants or the recruiters. Frawley's tenure has delivered 45 wins from 101 contests. After three finals in 2001, the club has finished 15th in 2002 and 2003. Supporters spat on players and coaching staff as they left the ground after a 75-point loss to Adelaide in round five. This is not a happy club.

Casey's immediate task is to find a replacement for chief executive officer Ian Campbell. The favourite is Leighton Wood. He comes highly recommended. But so did Campbell.

Much has gone wrong under Casey's presidency. Campbell did not work out. Neither has Frawley, the coach Casey has backed almost blindly. A decision to throw money at the football department this season in a hope victories would drive off-field revenue streams has proved madness.

And it was done against the best advice from AFL headquarters. Recruiting has been for the moment and not the future.

Casey promises all that will change. A restocked football department will next season be given a brutal budget rather than be asked for a wish list. Player salaries will be cut and the list taken to with a chain saw. The new CEO will have to find an extra $3m in revenue.

Casey's ploy is to stare down his challengers.

He is happy for the public to think a $2m loss is coming. If it does the supporters will have grown numb to its size; less and they will be chuffed.

Casey knows the demands of the presidency but figures it takes more vigour to raise a challenge than survive one. So he waits.

The double-barrel shotgun is pointed and loaded. Casey's hunch is that no one cares enough to pull the trigger. It is not without risk.

Bang bang, you're dead.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,9719248%255E12270,00.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Patrick Smith obsessed with RFC
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 01:34:53 AM »
In many ways the club has become Casey's personal chattel. His $1.6m guarantee with the ANZ Bank is all that has allowed the club to trade. It has given him enormous power.

That guarantee was only in case we didn't get that $4 million redirection from the AFL. We did. Nice twist of facts Patrick  ::).

Supporters spat on players and coaching staff as they left the ground after a 75-point loss to Adelaide in round five. This is not a happy club.

2 out of 25,000 at the game Patrick but thanks for labeling us all with one brush  >:(.

Where's the Hawthorn articles Patrick?  ::)
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 07:09:36 AM »
hawthorns membership unfortunately for Patrick and The Australian reside at the zoo. At this stage they are unable to purchase copies of the Australian. They are unable to read english...but weve been told theyre working on it! We on the other hand sell papers. The Australian loves it when we are in crisis. I only ever buy it when theres stuff about RFC in it!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 09:57:02 AM »
Is Patrick related to Mike Sheahan ???

Just wondering :P
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 01:56:53 PM »
Clinton Casey was on SEN this morning.

Apart from anything else, he did say that if someone else thought they could do a better job and if a new ticket challenged, that was better credentialed to take over, then in the interests of the Club, he would step aside.

He also stated that if people thought they could assist the Club that they would be happy to listen to such offers.

Having heard all of that, I doubt it’s necessary for any behind the scenes stuff to be going on.

Re Casey’s financial guarantee, that is to be sorted out shortly, so if there were a take-over, it would not be an issue for the Club, going forward.

For the moment, Macek sits and watches, his finger on the trigger and Richmond on the nose.

Macek was on White Line Fever last night.  He came across as a very passionate Tiger man who seemed to have a lot of answers, but no time to devote to the cause.

He wasn’t backwards in coming forward about the current administration and gave them a nice ol’ clip across the ear.

Asked about Casey’s financial guarantee, Macek said that if the Club was run properly it would not be necessary for him to go to such extremes.

A caller rang in and was disappointed that there were many “Richmond” people out there, none of whom were lifting a finger to help Richmond.  Macek responded by saying that they had their own jobs to fulfil and it wasn’t necessarily fair on those people to place the onus on them.

At the same time, I think the caller made a fair point – where are all the Richmond people?

Macek said that Richmond people didn’t feel welcome.  I don’t know where that came from, especially as a former players’ group has been formed in the last few years, in order to get past players back at the Club, because it has been an issue in the past, probably at the time when Macek was on the Board, I don’t know.  WP, you might be able to shed some light on this one.

Macek mentioned that he doesn’t have the time to devote to Presidency of the Club and was not involved with any ticket.  However, given his forthright manner throughout, it was difficult to come away from the whole thing without suspecting that if something wasn’t going on, it soon would be.

He seemed to be saying that the Club was at its ruthless best in the VFL, however had not adjusted to the AFL.  He mentioned that in its strong days, RFC was very powerful and didn’t mind wielding that strength against the outside world.  At the same time, it treated its own in the same manner.

If a challenge is made, I would be personally disappointed, especially given Casey’s comments this morning and the fact that Macek implied that the Club had to get away from the past way of doing things.

If Macek and others were to be involved in a challenge, they would just be perpetuating the old Richmond way of doing business – by eating our own.

From what I’ve heard, I don’t see the need.  If the current administration were being bull-headed about things, well and good, but I don’t believe that to be the case now and I think a whole lot more could be achieved by true Richmond people working together for the good of RFC, instead of themselves.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 02:28:43 PM »
Forgot to mention that Macek seemed to think one of the reasons people weren’t putting their hand up to help the Club now was that they didn’t know what they would be getting themselves into.  I guess he meant in terms of the financial situation of the Club.

If a challenge(s) is mounted though, what should we make of such a comment?

That it’s not ok to step in and help the current administration, but it’s ok for a take over?  I don’t understand the difference?
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.