Author Topic: Dimma's Weekly Presser Rd 2 -v- Carlton  (Read 541 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Dimma's Weekly Presser Rd 2 -v- Carlton
« on: March 25, 2014, 03:30:57 PM »
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick admits slipping to 0-2 would put Tigers on back foot
March 25, 2014 2:30PM RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick has labelled Thursday night’s AFL blockbuster against Carlton a must-win clash that can kick start their season.
The Tigers and Blues are coming off round-one losses and Hardwick said it is vital that his team square the ledger now.

The MCG match will attract a crowd upwards of 70,000.

“We have to make sure we start nailing these games and that way gain the momentum that takes us into the season,” Hardwick said.

“We don’t want to go back 0-2 — we want to make sure (we’re) 1-1 and attack the season from head-on.

“It’s obviously one we’ve been looking forward to — they’re a formidable foe and we’ve had some really close games over the last 12-24 months.”

Carlton are also a bogey team for Richmond, with the Blues having won 11 of their last 12 games.

Most recently, Carlton roared back from a poor first half to upset the Tigers in last year’s elimination final.

Hardwick pointed out that, in that game and the round-21 loss, the two teams had the same number of scoring shots.

“There have been various stages where things have let us down that haven’t normally let us down,” he said.

“Do you look at it from an overall perspective and work on those things? Of course you do.

“But we’re not really worried about the things we can’t control — we just have to keep playing well.”

Midfielder Daniel Jackson, small forward Jake King and forward Aaron Edwards are all in the selection mix.

Jackson, last season’s club best and fairest winner, has not played at all so far this year as he recovered from injury.

“We have a training session to go through and then match committee to make that decision, to see whether he’s fit enough and ready to go,” Hardwick said.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-admits-slipping-to-02-would-put-tigers-on-back-foot/story-fndv8t7m-1226864395483
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

gerkin greg

Re: Dimma's Weekly Presser Rd 2 -v- Carlton
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 03:40:06 PM »
Tuesdays with Tardwick  :clapping

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 04:48:24 PM »
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 05:20:42 PM »
"“But we’re not really worried about the things we can’t control — we just have to keep playing well.”

Wait.He just said..........oh..... Forget it.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 05:27:10 PM »
Only one way to shut the critics up.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Jack's Role Won't Change - Says Dimma
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 05:39:21 PM »
Riewoldt's role won't change, says Hardwick
Nathan Schmook 
March 25, 2014 2:52 PM

RICHMOND won’t change the way it uses key forward Jack Riewoldt in Thursday night's blockbuster against Carlton at the MCG, with coach Damien Hardwick committed to finding goals from a variety of sources this season.

Riewoldt made an underwhelming start to the season in round one, kicking one goal in the 18-point loss to Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium and taking three marks.

Playing a more "selfless" role in the forward line, the dual Coleman medallist increased his goal assists in 2013 but kicked just 58 goals – his lowest return since 2009.

Hardwick said maintaining an unpredictable forward line, which will again include tall targets Ben Griffiths and Ty Vickery, would be vital against the Blues.

"He (Riewoldt) will be playing exactly the same role as he played last year … he'll be in the forward half," Hardwick said on Tuesday. 

"We'll continue to flick around our side and try and get the best match-ups available and try and get as many goals as possible from a various amount of sources.

"The game these days, there's no genuine full forward. (Jarryd) Roughead on the weekend verse the Brisbane Lions was full-forward and on the wing and on-ball.

"That's our game. Unfortunately the way the game goes, it's played like a giant under-9s field. Everyone goes up, everyone comes back. Where you fit is where you fit."

While Riewoldt's role won't change for Thursday night's clash, Hardwick said the Tigers’ forward entries would need to after a wasteful performance against the Suns to open the season.

The coach said poor ball use in the forward half was the major reason for the round one loss and he singled out young midfielders Reece Conca and Brandon Ellis in his post-match press conference.

On Tuesday, he said the pair would not have been surprised by what they heard.

"It's a performance-based industry as we know and nothing I said in the media they haven't heard five times worse in this room," he said.

"They're resilient young lads, they're very good players, they're going to be good players for a long time.

"There's no doubt the future of our footy club is reliant on those two players.

"They're quality kids, they're quality high draft picks that we expect a lot from."

Club champion Daniel Jackson trained with the main group on Tuesday and is "touch and go" to return from a hamstring injury after playing three quarters of a VFL practice match on Saturday.

Hardwick said the inclusion of hard nut Matt Thomas, who has made an impressive start at Punt Road, would allow Jackson to return to his tagging role at times.

Forwards Jake King and Aaron Edwards will also be considered at selection, Hardwick said, as the Tigers seek redemption for last year's elimination final loss.

"It's an opportunity for our players to step up and play in front of big crowds, which they enjoy," Hardwick said.

"We've got to make sure we start nailing these games and that way gain the momentum that takes us into the season.

"We don't want to go back 0-2. We want to make sure we're 1-1 and attack the season head-on from there."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-25/jack-going-nowhere-hardwick
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 05:51:01 PM »

Wait.He just said..........oh..... Forget it.
Caracella and Balmey.

tony_montana

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 05:56:47 PM »
There's nothing unpredictable about our fwd line bc you keep telling the world what YOU'RE TRYING TO DO

just STFU!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 06:18:26 PM »
There's nothing unpredictable about our fwd line bc you keep telling the world what YOU'RE TRYING TO DO

just STFU!

What if he then plays Riewoldt at FF?

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 06:38:40 PM »
MM, history says that is not Hardwicks go....
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »

What rubbish. People see what they want to see Hardwick makes changes all the time in games.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 06:47:45 PM »

just STFU!

What if he then plays Riewoldt at FF?
we might win...

tony_montana

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »

What rubbish. People see what they want to see Hardwick makes changes all the time in games.

inside 50 targets
Vickery 14
Reiwoldt 3