Author Topic: Stanley Cup playoffs 2014  (Read 2057 times)

dwaino

Stanley Cup playoffs 2014
« on: April 10, 2014, 01:01:43 PM »
Doesn't start until next week but who cares because....

23 years straight yeeesssss  :clapping

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Stanley Cup playoffs 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 01:21:48 PM »
Toronto out of play off contention after a extremely disappointing season (which as been the norm the last decade)

So for me.....

Who cares  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

dwaino

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 03:12:49 PM »
Loved watching the pee leafs drop 10 games in a month  :cheers

Many thought Detroit would struggle in the East this year and many more thought we were stuffed after we had so many injuries we had to play 12 Griffins and were completely gone from contention a month ago. Good teams know how to win when it matters including big wins over strong teams like the Bruins  :clapping

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 04:55:02 PM »
Loved watching the pee leafs drop 10 games in a month  :cheers

Many thought Detroit would struggle in the East this year and many more thought we were stuffed after we had so many injuries we had to play 12 Griffins and were completely gone from contention a month ago. Good teams know how to win when it matters including big wins over strong teams like the Bruins  :clapping

All true

maple Leafs remind of the Tigers in so many ways

Play offs in 2012/2013 (helped by the shorten season no doubt) everyone got sooooo excited about the future now in 2014 they gut their fans once more.  :-\

Red Wings certainly know how to get things done, mentally a very strong team
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

dwaino

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 06:04:18 PM »
We played the last two months without Datsyuk and Zetterberg, which would be like Richmond without Deledio and Cotchin or Collingwood without Pendlebury and Swan, etc etc. Our goalie, Jimmy Howard, who is an all star and US Olympic team goalie despite being questionable in front of the net this year has been in and out of the side with a groin. Then at various times we have lost a bunch of decent starters like Bertuzzi and Abdelkader through various injuries. In fact, there was a period just recently where all first choice centers from all 4 lines were out so we had to go trade big time to get Legwand in as a starting first line center. A real battler, think Matt Thomas, but we were so bloody desperate to get a mature NHL body in the guts because our kids from the GR Griffins were getting monstered. He performed above expectation and got the Wings through. Datsyuk has now been back for 2 games but Zetterberg won't be back until round 2 of playoffs if we make it that far. Last year we only just scraped in as well, but Detroit hit the 'playoff switch' and smashed the 2nd seeded Ducks in 5 games, only to go down to the eventual cup winners, Blackhawks, in a game 7 shoot out. Legwand will probably get pushed back to the 3rd line when the team is 100% fit. Might even be able to fit Dats and Zets on the same 1st line. Deadly  :clapping

Red Wings have really struggled defensively since the retirements of Lidstrom and Holstrom. They were rocks. So Howard has been under too much pressure and is being exposed to way too many shots the past two seasons. We've relied on being a really offensive team and have one of the most potent PP units in the league. The silver lining to all of our injuries this season is that we got to throw a heap of young guys into the fire whether they were ready or not. A couple like Nyquist who earned a NHL 2nd Star last month, stood up and showed that they are going to be superstars. Detroit have been heavily criticised for their lack of depth over the years as they refuse to rebuild and miss playoffs and often trade prospects and draft picks for players (like pinching the over decade long Sens captain, Alfredsson last season) to stay in the hunt for another cup. But now the kids have stood up and come next year the Wings should be pretty bloody dangerous.

I completely struck out. Inherited Richmond off Dad, then liking the Pistons when I was younger because they were good then I also inadvertently inherited the Detroit Lions. Luckily the Red Wings have been an awesome team and organisation to follow.

dwaino

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 10:14:57 AM »
First round is intense. 3
Three game 7s. Minnesota continung their late season form. Ducks, Craphawks and Pens probably all glad they'll have rest over their next opponents.

Wings got first game on the road against Boston but even rushing back blokes like Zetterberg, who clearly wasn't fit, just not enough for an in form Boychuck and Chara. Detroit should have really won game 4 not that it would have made a difference but had a massive 15 to 4 shots on goal in the first period. Rask is way to hot in net at the moment.

Reckon Bruins will go all the way. Pens most likely only hurdle in the east. The Habs swept Tampa but they ended the season horribly and even nearly lost 3rd divisional spot to the BJs. Would have to tip Ducks or Turdhawks from west I guess.

dwaino

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 04:36:41 PM »
LA absolutely pulled down Anaheim's pants in game 7 this morning. Two years in a row the Ducks have choked. Everyone barring the Blackhawks coming into conference finals from a 7 seven game series so one could argue the reigning champs will be fresher. Big upset in the east with Montreal getting over Boston who I personally tipped to go the whole way. The Habs might just be too strong for the Rangers. Hard to tip from here with both Bruins and Pens going out.

At least more NHL players are being announced for the Aussie tour as the playoffs are progressing.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 09:05:08 AM »
7-2 Rangers

Have lifted for Martin St Louis

dwaino

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 10:20:06 AM »
Missed the game but saw the scores. What a belting. Habs entered playoffs real strong and I thought Rangers did well just to get through divisional. Just another 0.9 sv% to Lundqvist I see. Would love that bloke at the Wings.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 12:34:31 PM »
He is fine where he is thanks . LOL

We are a genuine Stanley Cup hope. Havent won it since 94.

It's amazing the way they have lifted AS A TEAM. They are going to St Louis' mums funeral as a team, they have joined as one.

Just shows how limp dicked Richmond was yesterday after Hafey. Gutless swines.

dwaino

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 04:23:15 PM »
NYR definitely genuine contenders after getting through the Pens and Bruins out of the picture now.

Damn straight about playing for st Louis' mum. I actually said something similiar about the Wings well out of playoff contention yet turned it on when it mattered despite missing Datsyuk, Zetterberg and at various stages Bertuzzi, Howard and Alfredson and still got wins against Habs, Pens and Boston. All the while Richmond struggled with a few injuries.

At least we made it 23 consequetive years yeess  :clapping can't stand LA or the Craphawks so will be happy for either NYR or Habs to take it  :cheers

dwaino

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 10:38:42 PM »
I give up trying to pick it this year. Originally thought Boston not only had the east in the bag but the Lord Stanley too. Thought if not them then at least Pens in the east. Failing that thought it had to be Montreal then. NYR on the cusp. Also thought the west was going to script with the Craphawks ploughing through everyone but looks like LA coming home strong. Anyone but LA and their stuffing bandwagoners, please.

dwaino

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 10:09:53 AM »
Go Rangers. Drew Doughty is a good bloke but can't stand the Kings. Hope they get pumped in 4 or 5 games.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »
Good to see Rangers doing well in Ice Hockey after being kicked out of the Scottish Premier League.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

dwaino

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 02:04:13 PM »
What a game. Reckon Lindqvist was hard done by when interference wasn't called in the 3rd, and would be filthy on that last deflection from McDonagh. Always thought LA were going to win that one though when they kept changing their lines late and NY were backing in their first lines hoping something would happen and were just tiring out. Will be hard to come back from 0-2 but I hope they do, can't bloody stand the Kings. Would be good to see Doughty decide to come out for Canada in next month's tour though  ;D