Author Topic: Whats the bigger issue at RFC? Playing group or Coaching group?  (Read 2599 times)

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Whats the bigger issue at RFC? Playing group or Coaching group?
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2014, 09:27:28 AM »
Pendles is a top gun. When his not playing football, He is out playing other sports. most of our players are out drinking & pumping up their own ego's.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2014, 09:30:39 AM »
Cotchin is a gun too.

But when he has a plodders groping him relentlessly it's harder to influence

For us to not tag ablett Penders types cause they are too good is defeatist attitude

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2014, 12:05:59 PM »
Cotchin is a gun too.

But when he has a plodders groping him relentlessly it's harder to influence

For us to not tag ablett Penders types cause they are too good is defeatist attitude

They are tagged, Just that the tagger has his abilities mixed up with his capabilities. If 2 players are into Cotchin then that leave another Richmond player a easy avenue to get the ball instead of worrying about the man. Let the umpire worry about control. The ball is the option everytime. Have a punch on & this will alert the umpires. no good running around bumping & blocking. others around the ball need to watch what the rucks are doing.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2014, 01:28:08 PM »
I agree in part. However, if the players foliowed the plan properly, they wouldn't have needed a hard tag......

On Pendlebury, they did. My very first thought when he said no hard tag on Pendlebury and that Thomas was going to him was - bad move. Pendlebury would cut Thomas to pieces and he did. Needed it to be Jacko. Follow the plan or not letting one of the comps gun run around like we did wasn't good coaching.

He also said we had plan a, b, c, d, etc but considering nothing seemed to change in the first half that's debatable too.  :laugh:

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2014, 01:37:22 PM »
I think it is a case of a fractionated team. There are the haves and have nots. The real gutsy players are sick of the spuds/favourites getting a game in front of players who are more capable. Look at Lloyd and Thomas, both have been pretty good (albeit lloyds first game) but maybe players like Knights and A Edwards plus some of our youth should be getting a gig in front of Vickery, Riewoldt, S Edwards, Grigg. For my $ Richo was a spitter and a much better player that Riewoldt who is a spitter and carries on like a child. The whole group needs a real shake down and get all their issues into the open as Geelong did (well documented) years ago. The Cotchin non help issue in the weekend pretty well sums it up. Most of them are playing for themselves and not the team.
Unfortunately posting and reading all this stuff has no effect or use apart from supporters venting their frustration. To me, we have gone for the season. Pack your bags, we may beat Brisbane but after round 7 we will be 6 / 2 at best

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2014, 09:34:53 PM »
I agree in part. However, if the players foliowed the plan properly, they wouldn't have needed a hard tag......

On Pendlebury, they did. My very first thought when he said no hard tag on Pendlebury and that Thomas was going to him was - bad move. Pendlebury would cut Thomas to pieces and he did. Needed it to be Jacko. Follow the plan or not letting one of the comps gun run around like we did wasn't good coaching.

He also said we had plan a, b, c, d, etc but considering nothing seemed to change in the first half that's debatable too.  :laugh:
We will agree to disagree WP.  So what if you planned to have a hard tag on Pendlebury?  That would not have worked either as that also requires effort and application.  We did not show effort and application for the team plan so what in the world would ever make you think that it would be any different with the hard tag?

Bottom line. No plans of any sort will work without the players actually going out applying themselves 100% to the job at hand.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »
Boggles the mind.
Why wipe my arse. I'll poot again tomorrow. :help

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2014, 09:58:08 PM »
My vote is on the players.  We don't have the talent.  We have a lot of workmen like players who aren't A graders.  Also 2 of our better players in Rance and Deledio are out, we miss both of them badly.  If we had either we might have beaten the dogs and we'd be 2:2. 

Players also have to be smart on field to adapt to anything unknown the opposition throws at them.

I think it goes back to the draft and our recruiters in the long run. 

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2014, 10:12:21 PM »
Development FFS!

Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2014, 12:18:56 AM »
Coach and game plan.  In Dimmas dissection the players achieved most of Hardwicks KPI's yet we still got smashed.

While the better teams are evolving their game plan that promotes quick ball movement, run and spread, and creating open space, we are going backwards trying to slow things down, creating congestion and relying on winning stoppage after stoppage.  In addition we are tailoring our squad for this type of football shown by axing white, nahas and foley and bringing in the likes of thomas and hampson.  we are even slower than last year. 

It's amazing what a coach like Hinkley who promotes run, quick ball movement and support (the geelong way) can do with a squad who a season and a half ago was regarded as one of the worst in the league.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2014, 06:38:41 AM »

It's amazing what a coach like Hinkley who promotes run, quick ball movement and support (the geelong way) can do with a squad who a season and a half ago was regarded as one of the worst in the league.
Most people (including myself) thought Port had some very good juniors. They were just are poorly run club with a poor coach. Hinkley's list was 10x better than the one Dimma took over.
However I agree, we need more leg speed and quick ball movement.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline The_Truth

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2014, 07:40:38 PM »
The coach plays a small role but it's not the main reason imo.
The leadership group always disappear like Houdini when the going gets tough.

Offline Tiger-Harted

• Future Richmond star
  • got to try everyday to keep mediocrity at bay
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2014, 08:26:02 PM »
Motivation for EFFORT is what is lacking from the coaches because, for whatever reason, maximum effort isn't being applied by the team.  With effort all plans can be accomplished.  Not sure what's in the players heads at the moment.

Where is Rudi Webster when you need him...... :pray

LOL - you must be as old as me to remember Rudi  ;)

But you are right they don't seem to be motivated - the first NAB challenge they just turned up and the same for the first round and the bulldogs and now they just seem to be in a passive mode - someone needs to give 'em a good kick in the rear (show them some footage of Francis - so they can see what commitment means)

Rampstar

« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2014, 10:28:52 PM »
After tonights team selection I have severe doubts about Hardwicks ability to turn this around. The bloke pretends to be tough but when it comes to taking action against the pretenders in the team Hardwick is soft as butter.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »
The tail is wagging the dog rather than vice versa.