Author Topic: Defining the term culture  (Read 2576 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Defining the term culture
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 10:52:09 PM »
Like any relationship between people you can probably reduce club/team culture down to honesty, respect, trust and love/care. At the moment there's a clear failure to uphold these values.

Honesty - definitely not onfield (plenty of dishonest and lazy "efforts" this season with last night being the worst). Dishonesty as far as a Club and especially a footy dept. getting ahead of itself and clearly not preparing anywhere good enough for 2014. Add dishonesty towards us supporters with mixed, contradictory and dubious public statements coming out of the Club this year.

Respect - feeds into YABB's opening post. Is there still respect from the playing list towards the coaches and vice versa? From the leaders/senior players towards the younger players and vice versa? Most importantly where is their self-respect? Given what is being dished up this year in terms of poor workrate and poor standard of skill that would be a no. Where's the pride in your own performance and standards? As far as team standards, who sets them, to what level, and who audits that those standards are being met? If it's not the coaches and leaders/senior players then don't be surprised when standards slip.

Trust - If you don't trust your teammate(s) then the whole fabric of the team, its structures and the fundamentals of working for each other, fall apart. If players don't trust the coach's gameplan then a coach can lose his players. I would also say rightly or wrongly there's a clear lack of trust from the coach and match committee in the whole playing list  based on team selections this year and even Dimma's post-match comment last night that most of our best players are in the side already. If Dimma is right then add a lack of trust from the coach in the list's depth and the ability and performance so far of the recruiting dept. Clearly, unlike the previous 4 years, the inner sanctum isn't on the same page and moving in the same direction.

Love/Care - If the above three no longer exist then this value fails. Jack gets bashed in the media for his supposed antics but you can't question he cares about the Club and team. He was cut up after the loss last night. How many others were? Where was the fight or even anger and frustration? We just succumbed so meekly. Too many Tigers this year have been unwilling to pay the price again to backup their 2013 efforts let alone improve on 2013. As a result, most have gone backwards this year.         

It's hard seeing all this investigated and dealt with midseason. There needs to a Geelong 2006-like intensive and extensive review at the end of the season. Obviously the 'reviews' they've had and are having have failed to address what has happened. Interesting to find out what Dan Richardson's response to the Board this month will be. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

the claw

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2014, 11:37:14 PM »
Like any relationship between people you can probably reduce club/team culture down to honesty, respect, trust and love/care. At the moment there's a clear failure to uphold these values.

Honesty - definitely not onfield (plenty of dishonest and lazy "efforts" this season with last night being the worst). Dishonesty as far as a Club and especially a footy dept. getting ahead of itself and clearly not preparing anywhere good enough for 2014. Add dishonesty towards us supporters with mixed, contradictory and dubious public statements coming out of the Club this year.

Respect - feeds into YABB's opening post. Is there still respect from the playing list towards the coaches and vice versa? From the leaders/senior players towards the younger players and vice versa? Most importantly where is their self-respect? Given what is being dished up this year in terms of poor workrate and poor standard of skill that would be a no. Where's the pride in your own performance and standards? As far as team standards, who sets them, to what level, and who audits that those standards are being met? If it's not the coaches and leaders/senior players then don't be surprised when standards slip.

Trust - If you don't trust your teammate(s) then the whole fabric of the team, its structures and the fundamentals of working for each other, fall apart. If players don't trust the coach's gameplan then a coach can lose his players. I would also say rightly or wrongly there's a clear lack of trust from the coach and match committee in the whole playing list  based on team selections this year and even Dimma's post-match comment last night that most of our best players are in the side already. If Dimma is right then add a lack of trust from the coach in the list's depth and the ability and performance so far of the recruiting dept. Clearly, unlike the previous 4 years, the inner sanctum isn't on the same page and moving in the same direction.

Love/Care - If the above three no longer exist then this value fails. Jack gets bashed in the media for his supposed antics but you can't question he cares about the Club and team. He was cut up after the loss last night. How many others were? Where was the fight or even anger and frustration? We just succumbed so meekly. Too many Tigers this year have been unwilling to pay the price again to backup their 2013 efforts let alone improve on 2013. As a result, most have gone backwards this year.         

It's hard seeing all this investigated and dealt with midseason. There needs to a Geelong 2006-like intensive and extensive review at the end of the season. Obviously the 'reviews' they've had and are having have failed to address what has happened. Interesting to find out what Dan Richardson's response to the Board this month will be.
great post mt all of it pertinant but for me the trust one more so.
its been clear for a long while that recruiting leaves a lot to be desired. its also become clear that hardwick has little faith outside of the regular top 25 or so players.
there sure has been a need for a geelong type review.
what amazes me is how we can go thru some real good processses only to abandon them after a few yrs. what also amazes is how they can overrate so much what was clearly an ordinary list.

is dan richardson close to the players and staff, if so how the hell can he be objective.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 05:09:48 AM »
Just wonder if trust can exist without respect and honesty claw
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 07:05:16 AM »

These 2 for mine

Right now we are a dishonest club on ALL levels. Take the results out of the equation, what's come out of the club this year (call it the spin or whatever) has been terrible, have treated their members like mugs. IMV got ahead of themselves in a huge way, first danger signs for me were pre-season when they were talking top 4 when what they should of been focusing winning enough games to get to the 8. Then thinking about top 4. We've had so many mixed messages that if it wasn't so gut wrenching it would be hysterically funny.

As for respect, well if you don't have that then dishonest is likely to follow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »

Good post MT, agree with it all.  And I disagree with Peggy when she says there is no need for an overall review - I think there is a screaming need for one at season's end, done independently and leaving no-one out.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 02:43:33 PM »
Hardwick reckons they pretty much have a comprehensive review every couple of months.
He actually said this himself on 3aw.

I reckon they sit in a circle and tell each other how great the list is. No reason to flog the boys on the track because they are ready to run the marathon. All we need to take it to another level is to get a couple of big name, big game players like Hamspud & we will be in the top 4 for sure! :clapping :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 02:51:23 PM »
Interesting topic.

I define the RFC culture as something like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdbt-sx5MDc

that last a whole 1 second before it got X off  ::)