Author Topic: Richmond considers dropping underperforming forward Tyrone Vickery (H-Sun)  (Read 2728 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond considers dropping underperforming forward Tyrone Vickery for clash with Brisbane at Gabba.

Jon Ralph
    Herald Sun
    April 15, 2014 5:44PM

RICHMOND forward Tyrone Vickery could be dumped for Richmond’s season-defining clash against Brisbane at the Gabba tomorrow night.

Vickery was subbed out at half-time against Collingwood despite being fully fit.

A series of lazy chasing efforts as the ball surged out of Richmond’s attack were pilloried as unacceptable by Lions great Michael Voss.

Vickery has kicked eight goals for the year but like Carlton’s Jarrad Waite could pay a heavy price for inconsistency and a lack of forward-line pressure.

The Tigers will train this morning at Punt Rd before flying to Brisbane, and while they might yet relent the brains trust has seriously considered changes to the forward make-up.

Hawthorn great Dermott Brereton last night told the Herald Sun Vickery’s goalkicking hid issues that might need “relearning” in the VFL.

“Tyrone kicked four against Carlton, but he didn’t kick them the way a key forward should,’’ Brereton said.

“Once he was 12m out and he had the ball kicked to him, once he marked it out the back and only once did he lead up and take a mark.

“He almost kicked them by accident. Consistency comes with workrate and he doesn’t have a good workrate.

“He wants to go to the contest and sneak out the back door. I think you need to relearn and re-educate yourself.”

Richmond could play with just Jack Riewoldt and Ben Griffiths as forward-line targets or bring in ruck Orren Stephenson to allow Shaun Hampson to spend some time forward.

Vickery and Steven Morris (shoulder) are both fit to play, but Brett Deledio (achilles), Ivan Maric (ankle) and Alex Rance (foot) are not yet ready to return.

A Tigers side lacking dash and excitement could bring in pacy midfielder Nathan Foley and defender Matt McDonough after they shone in the VFL.

Top draft pick Ben Lennon is being schooled as a defender and may make his AFL debut in coming weeks.

Richmond, with just one win from four games, must beat the depleted Brisbane to keep its season alive ahead of challenging clashes against Hawthorn and Geelong.

Coach Damien Hardwick yesterday turned up the heat on a misfiring midfield, demanding more goals from his onball brigade.

The Tigers have moved on from the controversy over Brent Macaffer’s tagging tactics on Trent Cotchin, with Hardwick more upset about the lack of reward over holding-the-ball decisions for his players.

“It was a disappointing result on the weekend, we just can’t seem to get our game up and going to the level we would have liked,’’ Hardwick told members in a video message.

“It has been a constant over the last two or three weeks. Collingwood flicked the switch but we couldn’t get the same result.

“The mids were equal with contested possession. The place where they hurt us on the scoreboard is we kicked 2.4 from the midfield and they kicked 9.3. (Scott) Pendlebury kicked three, (Dayne) Beams kicked three and Sidebottom kicked one or two.”

Hardwick said he was thrilled with the forward-line tackling of Matt Arnot and Sam Lloyd.

“Our tackling was pretty good. We had a lot of tackles but we are not getting our reward for holding-the-ball efforts,’’ he said.

“We are as disappointed as you are, and we have got no doubt we will eventually turn the corner, we just have to hang tough while we have Deledio, Rance and Maric out. We just have to keep developing talent and get some wins on the board.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/richmond-considers-dropping-underperforming-forward-tyrone-vickery-for-clash-with-brisbane-at-gabba/story-e6frf3e3-1226885613619

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
We're schooling another junior champion HFF in defence….. :banghead
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Hellenic Tiger

Whoa. That'll teach him. Play at Willi this week and next week watch Josh Gibson up close. :help

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
They're considering it.
stuffen off.

Drop grigg too fuckn poo man
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:47:50 AM by one-eyed »
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Says who? Jon Ralph?

What a revealing article. Not.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
If he is under performing then what's to consider, therein lies the problem with the RFC in a nutshell, accepting mediocrity. Underperforming players get dropped, simple as that, that then creates the culture we need which breeds success. Time to put some kids in rather than just trying to squeeze out unconvincing wins with proven spuds which simply glosses over the problems. But yes I also wonder where Ralph gets his information from.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
But yes I also wonder where Ralph gets his information from.

Usually his arz.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
He played everywhere at junior level. I don't mind him back there. Provided it releases Flossy into the middle. Only so many spots back there.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Believe it when it happens

And considering the HUN is sponsor for the RFC, I reckon Ralphy gets his info from the Club  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
He played everywhere at junior level. I don't mind him back there. Provided it releases Flossy into the middle. Only so many spots back there.
I agree, release Flossy into the midfield. It's been terrible this year with Cotch our only genuine midfielder. Give one of our young guys a go at half back, Matty Dea when fit or McIntosh. Or even Conca, we all know he is underdone, why play him in the midfield?
Also drop Grigg and Houli, it's pretty obvious that we need to upgrade these blokes, no time like the present. And when you give a young fella a game, let them know that tackling and chasing is the only thing they will get marked on until further notice. You don't have to be an A grader to run and chase, that's what's the most frustrating thing for me this year. We have been lazy and that's not good enough four rounds into a season after a huge pre-season. Get back to basics Tigers. All most of us want is EFFORT!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
And considering the HUN is sponsor for the RFC, I reckon Ralphy gets his info from the Club  ;D

Like they'd tell him everything I guess on that basis. ::)

Ralph has just put 2 and 2 together and written an article about it.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Dropping Vickery is like the end of the world...and the beginning of a bright new day

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
RFC See's vickery as collingwood see cloke or sydney see buddy... wont drop him because they think he is a champ.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
Too gutless, it's why we go no where! Along with everyone else it's why north have gone flying past us, same old same old.
The big girl wouldn't be guaranteed a touch in the twos, couple of other that have been passengers for to long also Grigg being one.....
We'll win Thursday, don't get too excited

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
Says who? Jon Ralph?

What a revealing article. Not.

lol yeah.

So because Voss and Brereton have slammed Vickery, we're considering dropping him?? (I hope we are)

Ralphy is a stuffwit lol
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do