Author Topic: Hardwick's post-match media conference / Relief for Dimma after win  (Read 684 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma's post-match media conference ...

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-04-17/postmatch-tigers

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relief for Richmond coach Damien Hardwick after win over Brisbane

Andrew Stafford
      The Age
    April 18, 2014

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick was a picture of relief after last night’s win against the Brisbane Lions, after his team kicked 11 of the last 14 goals to end the match.

The Tigers had briefly given up the lead in the third quarter before responding, with Hardwick admitting “we couldn’t quite get the game out of our back half for a while”.

In the end, though, the Tigers took the points. “Any win away’s a crucial win; the competition’s so even at the moment, you’ve just got to make sure when you do get the opportunity to bank those points, you do,” Hardwick said.

“It wasn’t pretty. We probably freed it up a little bit late, when they probably got a little bit tired, their young blokes, which made it a little bit easier to score.

“You’ve got to give credit to Brisbane, obviously – they were playing for a legend [Jonathan Brown, in his 250th match], not only of their club, but a legend of the game. They were always going to come back and come back hard.”

Hardwick praised his senior players for leading the charge, particularly Trent Cotchin, who was best on ground after being held to just 14 possessions by Collingwood’s Brent Macaffer last week, and Jack Riewoldt, who kicked four goals.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/relief-for-richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-after-win-over-brisbane-20140418-zqw47.html#ixzz2z9fBu5fU

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Hardwick's post-match media conference / Relief for Dimma after win
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:47:20 AM »
Damien Hardwick kept faith despite third-quarter Richmond wobble

Herald-Sun
April 17, 2014 11:52PM

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick never lost faith that his Tigers would finish over the top of Brisbane in the scrappy Easter Thursday catfight at the Gabba.

The Lions hit the lead midway through the third quarter but the Tigers piled on five unanswered goals to grab the momentum back on the way to a 43-point win which spoiled the 250-game party for Lions legend Jonathan Brown.

“It was (getting shaky), but I always thought our boys would come back,’’ Hardwick said.

“We just had to get a few things set-up wise right to get the game back on our terms and eventually did.

“You’ve got to give credit to Brisbane. Obviously, they were playing for a legend not only of their club but a legend of the game.

“They were always going to come back and come back hard. We always knew they would.

“We banked some points and that’s the important thing.

“Any win away is a crucial win. It wasn’t pretty.’’

Hardwick paid tribute to captain Trent Cotchin and star forward Jack Riewoldt for their critical performances when the game was in the balance.

“They were both very good,’’ he said.

“The quality players come to the forefront when you need them, which was great.’’

Hardwick said omitted key forward Ty Vickery was the victim of “team balance’’ and the new-look forward functioned well against the Lions, with Riewoldt and Martin combining for seven goals.

“The guys individually have been playing OK but collectively though it just wasn’t working for us,’’ he said.

“We just had to make a change.’’

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/damien-hardwick-kept-faith-despite-thirdquarter-richmond-wobble/story-fndv8t7m-1226888772774

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:14:11 AM »
More from Dimma ...

Despite Jack Riewoldt (four goals) finding form after the demotion of fellow forward Tyrone Vickery, Hardwick said he’d keep his options open on the make-up of the Tigers’ attack.

“Those three (tall forwards) individually have been playing OK,” Hardwick said.

“Collectively, it just wasn’t working for us. First possession inside fifty was poor, our score percentage was poor, we just had to make a change.

“Ty unfortunately was the guy who went out. It wasn’t the result of form, it was more team balance.

"He’s an important player for us. We’ve got some stocks below and if we need to call on three talls we’ll get him back. We’ll keep turning it around and see what happens.”

Riewoldt and Trent Cotchin both came to the fore in the third quarter on Thursdasy night, scoring at crucial times to help the Tigers retake the lead and set up a dominant last term.

"Quality players come to the forefront when you need them," Hardwick said.

"Trent’s a bullocking worker in close and then when you get the ball outside he’s just as effective.

“We banked some points and that’s the important thing. It wasn’t pretty, we probably freed it up a little bit late, when they got a little bit tired, it made it a little bit easier to score.

“I always thought our boys would come back, we just had to get a few set ups right to get the game back on our terms which eventually we did.”

Dustin Martin, playing mostly forward, kicked three goals and Hardwick hoped to see him repeat the impressive display in the weeks ahead. Richmond faces the tough task of Hawthorn and Geelong over the next fortnight.

“He’s just one of those guys that we think’s very versatile," Hardwick said.

"He reminds me a bit (of) Mark Ricciuto, a guy that played half-back, midfield or forward.

“He’s only gonna get better and better. He had six shots on goal tonight and one taken away from a free kick. If he does that every week it's going to be a good result.”

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-17/post-match-hardwick

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 06:48:32 AM »
LOL at Hardwick talking like we have just won the premiership!!! :banghead
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

tony_montana

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:47:40 AM »
Still making excuses for Tyrone...

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 09:53:28 AM »
Still making excuses for Tyrone...

Yep, a worry on the one hand although maybe Tyrone is in a dark place confidence wise so why kick a man who is on the canvas? Not going to improve the situation.
I'm going to back that Dimma knows he is down in confidence, knows he playing poo but is just doesn't see the benefit of coming out and saying it in public  :pray
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

tony_montana

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 09:56:12 AM »
Yeah you could be right, the thought crossed my mind ^^^