Author Topic: Smothers  (Read 688 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Smothers
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:05:52 PM »
Anyone notice how many smothers were done in first two games yesterday. Especially early in the games.
It got me thinking about the last time I consciously thought we did that well. I had nothing!
We are a really lazy side in so many ways, we just don't want to get down and dirty. We like easy outside footy and our side is full of players that just want someone else to do it.
Our tackle numbers have been low for as long as I can remember but I would love to know how we fair in the smothering stat.
IMO we need to clean out at the end of the season whoever doesn't want to turn things around. I would put everyone on notice now and let them know if you don't improve in this area from now till the end of the year you are out, no matter who you are.
You don't have to be elite be smother and tackle, you just have go want to do it!

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
Re: Smothers
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 07:17:59 PM »
Anyone notice how many smothers were done in first two games yesterday. Especially early in the games.
It got me thinking about the last time I consciously thought we did that well. I had nothing!
We are a really lazy side in so many ways, we just don't want to get down and dirty. We like easy outside footy and our side is full of players that just want someone else to do it.
Our tackle numbers have been low for as long as I can remember but I would love to know how we fair in the smothering stat.
IMO we need to clean out at the end of the season whoever doesn't want to turn things around. I would put everyone on notice now and let them know if you don't improve in this area from now till the end of the year you are out, no matter who you are.
You don't have to be elite be smother and tackle, you just have go want to do it!
I call it lollipop footy big tone.
Characteristics of lollipop footy;
  • its soft
  • its selfish
  • its outside
  • its backwards
  • it doesn't like tackling
  • it doesn't like smothering
  • it doesn't like shepherding
  • its all about self preservation
I don't care what anyone one says but this type of footy won't win you a final.
These characteristics are opposite of you would see at Geelong for instance.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 07:46:16 PM »
We had over 80 tackles last week, #justkeepinitreal  ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 08:14:40 PM »
We had over 80 tackles last week, #justkeepinitreal  ::)

does it say how many were effecitve? or how many the opposition had.

what about the other 1%?

lets be honest have we ever been an organization that other clubs are scared to play against.  :nope

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 08:19:37 PM »
I call it lollipop footy big tone.
Characteristics of lollipop footy;
  • its soft
  • its selfish
  • its outside
  • its backwards
  • it doesn't like tackling
  • it doesn't like smothering
  • it doesn't like shepherding
  • its all about self preservation
I don't care what anyone one says but this type of footy won't win you a final.
These characteristics are opposite of you would see at Geelong for instance.

I call this lollipop posting
It's not insightful
It's not relevant
It's doesn't mean anything
It's just a bitching whinge
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 08:56:23 PM »
Shane Edwards is always prepared to take the pain of a smother, and they do hurt, if he could only get his kicking, handballing and decision making right he could make a good footballer one day.

tony_montana

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 12:16:24 AM »
Agree with the op. Lets face it, we're a pretty shocking side when it comes to one percenters like smothers, shephards, blocks, giving the extra (legal)hit at every opportunity to wear out opponents. Its no coincidence the best sides in the comp are consistently the best at thses things too.

I will say however our tackling  intent and numbers are up this year significantly. Its had no impact yet but long term its a good habit to get into!! Hope they keep it up

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 09:07:07 AM »
dont we rate high for turnovers caused, or is that goals kicked from turnovers?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI