Author Topic: Is this so?  (Read 946 times)

Gigantor

Is this so?
« on: April 27, 2014, 11:39:32 AM »
In my travels I notice the ever growing popularity of martial art schools in suburbia.In this I include those gyms which promote UFC.
I was just wondering why the growing interest in such activities.Does the populace believe society is becoming more violent,thus we need protection the authorities cant provide.Is it because it provides another avenue to fitness and well being that maybe traditional activities like Football,cricket,athletics can no longer provide.
Is it a macho thing ie I want to be the badest ass in my street?
If its the fear of a violent society then  the statistics  seem to disprove this.I read that our murder rate per head of population hasnt moved above 1% since 1900.We appear to be living in a world that's relatively free of wars when compared to past centuries.
Its interesting that recently I heard a talk by some Harvard egg heads who were asking why does it appear society is less violent.Some argued that humanity is probably moving to a higher plane ie we are evolving I guess.But one guy argued this is not so ,but rather the controls on society are now greater.In other word there are consequences for moving outside the laws of the land.
I know I have jumped around a bit here but I would be interested to hear fellow tigers opinion on this

dwaino

Re: Is this so?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 11:48:48 AM »
A number of my friends both male and female have been getting into martial arts in the past few years. Most of them were already into fitness in one way or another. These same people are also not that big on team sports of any kind so I just assume it a way for them to partake in a competitive sport without having to join a team. I guess there are many who are taking up MMA with the sudden explosion of UFC but like every fad they will come and go.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Is this so?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 01:26:55 PM »
For the pussy

Doesn't take decades of sociology