Author Topic: Tommy Hafey faces his toughest rematch yet as he battles cancer again (H-Sun)  (Read 1001 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
 :(

Tigers’ legendary premiership coach Tommy Hafey faces his toughest rematch yet as he battles cancer again
Herald-Sun
April 30, 2014

AFL great Tommy Hafey faces the toughest fight of his life as he battles a second bout of cancer.

The legendary Richmond premiership coach had an operation to remove a brain tumour in early March, but has now been hospitalised with complications.

The club has confirmed Hafey’s predicament and after speaking to Hafey’s wife, Maureen, said he was in good spirits.

Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale said Hafey, 82, had the support of all involved with Richmond.

“He’s fighting and he’s been a fighter all his life, Tommy,’’ Gale said.

“He’s tough as teak and we’re confident given his incredible mental strength, physical dedication and wholesome life, we’re confident he’ll prevail. There’s plenty in Tommy’s tank yet.’’

Several of Hafey’s former players — who have an incredible bond with Hafey — have visited him in hospital.

“We were aware he had had an operation and aware he was back in hospital and things were looking up and all his faculties were with him,’’ Gale said.

‘’But he had slowed up a little.’’

Hafey coached the Tigers to premierships in 1967, 1969, 1973-74.

He was the first non-Collingwood person to coach the Magpies and took the club from the wooden spoon in 1976 to the Grand Final in 1977, his first year there.

He coached the Tigers from 1966-76, Collingwood from 1977-82, Geelong from 1983-85 and then was lured to Sydney, where he coached three years from 1986-88.

His coaching record was 521 games coached for 336 wins, 181 losses and four draws, one of which was the famous drawn Grand Final in 1977.

Gale said Hafey was loved by the players he coached.

“They’re getting around him,’’ Gale said. “The players love him, it’s incredible.’’

Hafey is honoured at Richmond with the naming of the Tom Hafey Club, a coterie group which will hold a luncheon next week. Hafey, who is feted at every luncheon, is not expected to attend.

“Tommy is always the guest of honour,’’ Gale said, ‘’and the players love seeing him.’’

Hafey was known as a coach who took great interest in his players’ lives outside football.

To some, such as Kevin Sheedy, he was a virtual father figure.

“They speak with such affection about Tommy,’’ Gale said.

http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/tigers-legendary-premiership-coach-tommy-hafey-faces-his-toughest-rematch-yet-as-he-battles-cancer-again/story-fnii5sms-1226900298404

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
I thought it would be a nice gesture when I first read about Tommy's illness a few weeks back if the Cheer Squad sent him a giant get well card signed by as many members as possible. Mentioning this to Gerard Egan, I drew a big colour caricature of Tommy and emailed it to Gerard for him to cut and paste onto a card. As far as I know, it hasn't been followed up on which is a shame. I think we need to do something as a supporter base to let Tommy know how much we love him, and he is in our thoughts. 

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
How about a banner behind the goals this week
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Only two comments from 2 am about the greatest Tiger of all time facing his biggest battle
Pathetic

Good luck Tommy, I hope you tackle this like you have fought all your life for good health and being the great person you are.

Fingers crossed for you x

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
dont know him never met him but have known that people that have and all speak of him in the highest regard.

Good luck hope he pulls through
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Tommy is a legend. He is part of the fabric of our club. I am sure every Richmond person is hoping he pulls through.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Yep all the best Tommy, your a legend, perhaps the Tigers can fight as hard as you do this weekend and show some of the guts a determination you show!!!

Perhaps.....
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Tommy Hafey is Richmond. :bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

We should all pray that the great man pulls through. :pray :pray :pray

Go Tommy! :gotigers
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
That's the spirit  :thumbsup

Tommy was as hard as nails with his players and they all absolutely loved and respected him.  Far removed from the era we have today where coaches have to tread lightly on egos and people who play for themselves and not the club as they used to in bygone years.

When he left us, that was the beginning of the end for us.

:gotigers

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
still cant believe he goes swimming in the bay in winter. I did it a few times in my early 20's middle of winter at Edithvale beach and i have never experienced coldness like that before but this bloke does it every day

I tell you what though your body has never felt better once your out and warmed up again.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline froars

• Premiership Captain
I spoke to him at the Balnarring races on Australia Day, he was their guest speaker.  He looked as fit and healthy and as enthusiastic about life as ever.  Didn't seem sick at all.  This is a big shock.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Get well legend.  :thumbsup

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Tommy Hafey is one of my footy heroes and I don't have many because hero a term like champion that gets bandied about too easily these days

I had the honour & pleasure of meeting him one day at the Club. Remember it so well, Greg Miller introduced him to me and he stopped and spoke to me for about 20 minutes

I was in total awe because this bloke was a legend to me and he took time to speak to me.

He is inspiring, warm and engaging. He is that way with every person. A true gentleman in the true essence of the term

That meeting is the reason I am a foundation member of the Tommy Hafey Club. I dont' get to their functions now because of their timing but I will always remain a member because of that 20 minutes.

I've spoken to him a number of times since then and he is just a great person and wonderful to talk to

Get well Tommy, we need our heroes

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:41:31 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
Get Well Tiger Tommy.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
This just sucks