Author Topic: Crunch game is really this week coming against St Kilda  (Read 7336 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Crunch game is really this week coming against St Kilda
« on: July 10, 2005, 09:04:14 PM »
The crunch game should be next week. Win against the Saints and we'll make September given our draw contains Carlton and Hawthorn which would give us 12 wins. And we owe them still for Thomas' comment about "we're still the better team" even after we bet them 2 years ago and the few hidings we've copped since then.

Two 8 point games in the next 2 weeks given the Saints and Port are the only two sides outside the top 8 that can knock us out. We could lose both and fall outside the top 8 but still scrap into the finals but this way destiny is in our own hands to cement our spot if we're good enough.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Crunch game is really this week coming against St Kilda
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2005, 10:17:34 PM »
My view going into Saturday's game was if we beat Essendon we'll play finals. I am confident we will do that.

St Kilda had the luxury today of playing Carlton will hopefully will have them thinking they are in top form - which they aint

Going into this week beat St Kilda and my season will be complete ;D - can't stand 'em and they are one of only 3 teams every year I am desperate for the tiges to beat
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fwoy3

• Un-unRichmondlike
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shut the eff up Jack!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 01:04:40 AM »
So who goes on Milne this time? Does Thirsty get first crack?
My parents bought me a Richmond jumper and enrolled me in a junior footy clinic in 1981...look at me now.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 04:49:19 AM »

Thirsty is 190cm tall so I don't think he'll match up on the much smaller Milne. I'm not sure who else other than Newman we've got to play that role with Hartigan copping concussion at Coburg  :-\

The other problem we have is how do we replace Kellaway?  Not only defensively but he's been averaging 17 possessions a game in a rebounding role. That's a big hole to fill.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 07:08:28 AM »

Thirsty is 190cm tall so I don't think he'll match up on the much smaller Milne. I'm not sure who else other than Newman we've got to play that role with Hartigan copping concussion at Coburg  :-\

The other problem we have is how do we replace Kellaway?  Not only defensively but he's been averaging 17 possessions a game in a rebounding role. That's a big hole to fill.

thursfield may just get the gig as milne carved newman up at th edome last time , but the g is a new ball game.

i am very confident we can beat them at the g! esp with st nick out. all we have to do is hold  the g train. 

jackson played really well in the 2nds and has pace so he may be given a task on milne next week who knows and as 4 chubba , morrison and shultz both cleaned up again 4 ciburg and one of them will be recalled.

foley is the question, he has to be rewarded 4 effort, its time tivendale was dropped and foley came in, 47 possessions means he has earned his spot imo

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 11:16:21 AM »
Hopefully the gods smile on us again and give us another rainy day so the Saints can't expose us with their fast moving skilfull game.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 04:02:10 PM »
jackson played really well in the 2nds and has pace so he may be given a task on milne next week who knows and as 4 chubba , morrison and shultz both cleaned up again 4 ciburg and one of them will be recalled.

The poll on the RFC site askes who should replace injured Tiger Andrew Kellaway in the backline?

Jay Schulz 50%
Daniel Jackson 29%
Shane Morrison 9%
Kyle Archibald 2%
Kelvin Moore 11%

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Out of Morrison or Schulz to come in for Kellaway
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 01:25:43 AM »
Club doctors say it'll be 6-8 weeks for Kellaway. The operation he had went well with the wiring it up of the jaw and all. Chubba could be back earlier depending on when he feels comfortable. The Club are hoping he'll be no more than 6 weeks out.

Apparently the forecast is similar to last Saturday - wet. It's out of Morrison or Sarge to come in for Kellaway according to Paul Armstrong on club corner. He didn't mention any other changes.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 07:50:47 AM »
What about Mark Graham?  Or rotating him with a less experienced player?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2005, 04:35:44 PM »
What about Mark Graham?  Or rotating him with a less experienced player?

I think your on the money Julz. Graham, Thursfield and either Schulz or Morrison taking the third/fourth talls in defence with Gas and Razor holding down the key positions.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Saints are a test for Tigers (The Age)
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 03:41:37 AM »
Saints are a test for Tigers
By Len Johnson
The Age
July 13, 2005

St Kilda provided a harsh reality check for Richmond when it thrashed the Tigers by 68 points in round five, and Terry Wallace reckons Saturday's return match at the MCG will be a measure of whether his side has improved.

Wallace said the Tigers learned "valuable lessons" from the loss, and applied some of them as they won the next four games. Now, the question is whether they can apply them against St Kilda on Saturday.

"They were just far more ready for a pressure-based game at that stage than what we were," Wallace said at his weekly news conference yesterday.

"This time round got a lot more games under our belt, gained a bit of confidence. Hopefully on the MCG, where we believe we play our best football, we can put up a better showing."

The first meeting between the clubs was at Docklands. St Kilda does not have anywhere near as good a record at the MCG in recent times. "The MCG is our home and we look forward to playing there as often as we can. It is our last home game there this year which, this far out, is probably a bit unusual,"" Wallace said.

Of the round-five encounter, Wallace said St Kilda "out-muscled us, outplayed us and blew us out of the water early". The Saints kicked eight goals to three in the first quarter, five to two in the second, five to three in the third and four to three in the last term.

It was one of two heavy losses to credentialled sides (the other to Geelong in round one) that caused many to wonder how real was Richmond's improvement under Wallace. Four more consecutive losses going into the mid-season break added to the queries, but the Tigers have beaten Sydney and Essendon since to stabilise their season.

Wallace pointed out that the four losses - to Melbourne, West Coast, the Kangaroos and Adelaide - were to sides that, on form at the time, were close to the best four in the competition.

Wallace talked up the challenge facing Richmond before some of the earlier big games, but is adopting a more softly-softly approach this time.

The coach said he had talked of last weekend's match against Essendon as a "crunch game" precisely because winning it would set up the Tigers for a series of games that would determine whether they ultimately reached the top eight.

"Why did I do that earlier in the season," asked Wallace, "because I wanted to see what the group had to offer. We set the bar very high, very early, just to raise the expectation of the group."

Now it was up to the players to recognise they faced a challenge.

"I think now that we've come through that and we're at the next stage," said Wallace.

Richmond has lost Andrew Kellaway with a broken jaw - the Tigers' latest victim of a broken bone - and Wallace said he was "not confident at all" that skipper Kane Johnson would return from a jarred knee.

"He's confident. He's making all the right noises," Wallace said. "Most of his running has been in a straight line. He needs to show us he can do normal match running."

On the plus side, key forward Matthew Richardson has responded to a virtual three weeks' rest either side of the mid-season break and his knee is as good as it has been all season, said Wallace.

Jay Schulz and Shane Morrison were in line to replace Kellaway, said Wallace. Either would fit in without a major change to the team structure. Nathan Foley, who had over 40 possessions in the VFL last week, was another who could come under consideration.

Richmond will have its main training session at Arden Street this morning [11am].

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/07/12/1120934240737.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kane not able for big game: Wallace (The Australian)
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 03:44:04 AM »
Kane not able for big game: Wallace
Malcolm Conn
The Australian
July 13, 2005

RICHMOND captain Kane Johnson remains confident he will be fit for Saturday's finals shaping game against St Kilda, but his coach Terry Wallace is equally adamant his prolific midfielder will not.

Johnson missed last weekend's important win over Essendon with a knee problem and must convince a sceptical coach at training tonight that he has overcome the problem.

"I'm not confident at all," Wallace said. "He has to prove that he's fit to play rather than the other way around.

"He makes all the right noises but until you get out and actually do it, it's still a bit of the unknown."

The Tigers must also find a replacement for reliable key defender Andy Kellaway, who sustained a broken jaw in two places against the Bombers and will miss six weeks.

"It's difficult. He's been a real value player for us all year," said Wallace, lamenting the loss of Kellaway a month after brilliant small forward Nathan Brown was ruled out for the season with a badly broken leg.

"They're very experienced senior players within the core of the group, so that will be a difficulty, but it probably sets up an opportunity for somebody else."

Wallace named peripheral key forwards Shane Morrison and Jay Schulz, who has had a year interrupted by injury and controversy, as likely candidates to be promoted from the VFL.

The Tigers had virtually a full side when they met St Kilda in round five after three successive wins, yet were blown away when the Saints made one of their rare but dynamic explosive starts this season.

Saturday's match is vital for Richmond, not only to overcome another credibility hurdle but to put a gap between it and the dangerous Saints, who are out of the eight on percentage.

St Kilda is a game behind the sixth-placed Tigers but has a better percentage. If Richmond loses it will fall below the Saints and possibly out of the eight for the first time since mid-April.

Wallace said the Tigers were out-muscled as much as out-played in the previous encounter between the sides.

"That game taught us a little bit about ourselves we actually used in the following games," Wallace said, pointing out that the Tigers won their following four matches. "I'm hoping that it teaches us a few lessons this time around."

This will be Richmond's last match at the MCG this season unless it makes the finals.

While Wallace did not touch on St Kilda's relatively modest record away from Telstra Dome, he made no secret the MCG is the Tigers' favourite ground. They have won six of eight matches there this season.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15911414%255E36035,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Kane not able for big game: Wallace (The Australian)
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 03:49:09 AM »
RICHMOND captain Kane Johnson remains confident he will be fit for Saturday's finals shaping game against St Kilda, but his coach Terry Wallace is equally adamant his prolific midfielder will not.

Johnson in the SEN lockeroom last night said he was 40/60  :-\ but he wants to get right and play as this week's a big game and a win could set up our season.

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 07:58:42 AM »
Hopefully the gods smile on us again and give us another rainy day so the Saints can't expose us with their fast moving skilfull game.

Forecast 12 (Not showers) Rain  :thumbsup

Back out with the plastic bags again for everyone who is going this week. Last week especially at Punt road before the game is the coldest it's been for a few years. "Just like the good old days" :lol

Oh on the CRUNCH game - bit of a joke really against the fumbly bumblers - This is the CRUNCH game this w/end. Dont really mind the saints too much but would love to stick it to Thomarse and their supporters.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 08:00:39 AM by CUB »

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 08:01:04 AM »
Every game really should be a crunch game.  Can't afford complacency.