Author Topic: Tuck on Sport 927  (Read 1595 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tuck on Sport 927
« on: July 11, 2005, 03:54:35 PM »
Andrew Kuuse from Sport 927 was in the Richmond rooms after the win over Essendon and spoke to Shane Tuck who was among the Tigers’ best.

http://sport927.com.au/gateway/Daily_Audio/Sound%20Grabs/ST_110705.asx

Ox

Re: Tuck on Sport 927
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 04:40:02 PM »
LMAO

What an unassuming champion  :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Roughy for the Brownlow.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 01:58:17 AM »
LMAO

What an unassuming champion  :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Roughy for the Brownlow.

So true Ox. I like how Tucky says he hasn't achieved anything yet. Good to have players who aren't satisfied  :thumbsup. Also honest enough to say that snap for goal on the weekend was pulled out of the proverbial  ;D.

Tucky's the leading Tiger in betting from the Brownlow: Win $101; Place $26 at centrebet.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 04:18:02 PM »
Put a grand on him  :thumbsup

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 04:36:52 PM »
Anyone think Tuck can get better in the next couple of years?

Would be awesome if he does.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 04:55:05 PM »

Talent-wise probably not. I was young at the time but I don't remember his Dad ever being a superstar who won games off his own boot at the Hawks. More a model of consistency who could run all day and always do the right thing with the footy.

In Shane's case I think he'll still have improvement in him from an endurance and footy smarts point of view. This is by a mile his first full season of AFL so he could tire as we get closer to the end of the season. Wallace said after the game on the weekend that they're looking out for signs of weariness in the blokes who haven't played much AFL footy prior to this year. The midseason break was handy to freshen everyone up. Tuck would also  still be learning the AFL caper. He's only about 20 games or thereabouts so there may be improvement to be found with more experience. The negating thing to that is opposition coaches will place more attention towards him in future so in 2006 it's important for him to back up this year. So far tags haven't seem to worry him too much.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 06:19:01 PM »

Talent-wise probably not. I was young at the time but I don't remember his Dad ever being a superstar who won games off his own boot at the Hawks. More a model of consistency who could run all day and always do the right thing with the footy.

In Shane's case I think he'll still have improvement in him from an endurance and footy smarts point of view. This is by a mile his first full season of AFL so he could tire as we get closer to the end of the season. Wallace said after the game on the weekend that they're looking out for signs of weariness in the blokes who haven't played much AFL footy prior to this year. The midseason break was handy to freshen everyone up. Tuck would also  still be learning the AFL caper. He's only about 20 games or thereabouts so there may be improvement to be found with more experience. The negating thing to that is opposition coaches will place more attention towards him in future so in 2006 it's important for him to back up this year. So far tags haven't seem to worry him too much.

i think tuck wont have to worry much about taggers as he is big and strong and very versitile. the attention wont bother him as he is strong willed also and have white line fever. he will become a gr8 for our team

Offline The Undertaker

• Tiger Rookie
  • What we need 'round here is a little more respect
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 12:33:17 PM »

You aint seen nothin' yet.
Like the Deadman(Wrestlemania 13-0) the Richmond Tiger will again rise to the top of the jungle where he so rightfully belongs.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Tuck of all Trades
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 02:37:44 AM »
TUCK OF ALL TRADES
Russell Gould
MX
Monday July 18, 2005.

Shane Tuck has thrown away the drum sticks, tossed aside his shovel, binned the Melway and finally been given the chance to play footy, as RUSSELL GOULD discovers

Shane Tuck's life is a long line of stalled starts. And until this year, that included the Richmond revelation's football career.

At 23, Shane, the son of AFL games record-holder Michael Tuck is a late bloomer. Up to now he has had to earn his bread in other ways. It started with plumbing. "I did it with my old man when I was a bit younger," Tuck revealed. Then there was brick-laying. "I've done two years of the apprenticeship. " When the sun set, he turned to the drums.

"I was in a band, Half-Spent we were called," Tuck said. "We did a few gigs, never really got paid much, $30 bucks or something each. "We played a few pubs, the Berwick Pub once. I was no John Bonham (Led Zeppelin, for the musically challenged), but I could keep a beat."

Music had to give way to football when Tuck joined the Hawthorn rookie list. But he could not shake the shadow of his father that lingered over Glenferrie Oval, and was forced to move on.

"I had a year off and played 12 games at Carrum Downs. They were pretty ordinary, and have folded now. But I had a few mates there," Tuck said. "I lost interest in footy after Hawthorn, the time I spent there I just didn't enjoy."

He turned his hand to yet another pursuit. "I was a courier, in a ute. My next door neighbour owns a courier business so I was doing that, five days a week, eight hours a day. It was car parts," he said. 'They wanted something taken somewhere and I took it. I was happy doing that at that time, but at the end of the year I wanted to play again."

But no one in Melbourne was taking on 21-year-old discarded rookies, so he joined West Adelaide under the coaching of former Adelaide and Hawks ruckman Shaun Rehn. "I went there because I wanted to try something different. My mates were just hanging around, not doing much," he said.

He kept homesickness at bay by picking up the tools. "I was landscape gardening," he said. "A couple of the blokes at the club worked at a landscaping business, and I told them I wouldn't mind doing something because just sitting around in a new place, you get kind of homesick."

A content Tuck, no longer burdened by expectations, then started to play the football his name suggested he could, and thoughts of an AFL career were re-ignited. Two years later, he was snaffled by Richmond at 73rd pick in the 2003 draft. "Now that I've got a chance to play AFL I am going to grab it with both hands," he said.

"If you had the opportunity of labouring for 40 hours a week for $500 bucks, or train three times a week, do some weights, play footy and earn your $3000 a week or whatever, you'd go with that."

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Tuck of all Trades
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 07:54:31 AM »
"If you had the opportunity of labouring for 40 hours a week for $500 bucks, or train three times a week, do some weights, play footy and earn your $3000 a week or whatever, you'd go with that."

Hmm sounds like we must pay our guys too much or you Victorians are on pittance.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 03:30:55 PM »

Hmm sounds like we must pay our guys too much or you Victorians are on pittance.

Must be a SA thing Julz or Tucky was just on an apprentice wage. No way tradesmen earn only $500 for 40 hours here in Victoria. You ask them how much just to come out and they say "$60" and you reply thanks but no thanks  :P.

In the long run it sounds as though because Tucky had to struggle and persevere to earn his spot on a AFL list he busts his guts out all the time and it's paid off. Compare that to someone who waltzed through junior footy without needing to work too hard but struggles to adapt at AFL level because now natural ability alone won't cut it anymore. As the old saying goes it's funny how footy is 90% above the shoulders. 

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 04:15:23 PM »
We forego the big bucks just for the better weather Julz.  ;D

Thanks for posting the article MT.  :)
I miss MX now that my son doesn't get the train and bring it home. (MX that is, not the train).
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 06:41:03 PM »
Thanks for posting the article MT.  :)
I miss MX now that my son doesn't get the train and bring it home. (MX that is, not the train).

No worries, it was a good read  :cheers.

All part of the service  ;D.