Author Topic: Hardwick's post-match media conference / Dimma devastated, no answers for loss  (Read 4008 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dimma post-match media conference ...

VIDEO: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-05-17/postmatch-tigers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardwick devastated, has no answers for loss
Jennifer Phelan 
afl.com.au
May 17, 2014 7:00 PM

A SHATTERED Damien Hardwick has conceded his Richmond outfit is not the same one that played in a final just eight months ago – and simply doesn't know why.

After Saturday's 17-point loss to Melbourne, the Tigers appear unlikely to repeat last year's achievement and finish in the top eight, slumping to just two wins from eight games.

Hardwick, who looked drained and overwrought afterwards following an emotional week with the passing of club great Tommy Hafey, struggled to find words after the game.

He grew emotional as his post-match press conference went on, particularly when talking about David Astbury's knee injury.

When it was put to him that teams don't just lose ability in a period of nine months, he said the reason behind the Tigers' alarming drop off had him mystified.

"We were having the exact same conversation," Hardwick said.

"Personnel has changed a little bit. Has it changed a lot? No.

"Unfortunately at the moment, we're not the same side.

"It's disappointing to me, it's disappointing to the players - more importantly, it's disappointing to our fans.

"We have to make sure we take some steps and get our game back up and going.

"Unfortunately I've been saying this for six or seven weeks - I'm sick of talking about it."

He was then asked if the situation was exasperating, or frustrating.

He sighed and responded with, "Yeah, you've got no idea."

Captain Trent Cotchin, who Hardwick admitted probably shouldn't have played after quarter-time because of an ankle injury he needed re-strapped in the second half, said the players didn't shy away from pre-season expectations.

But after being comprehensively beaten in one-on-one contests, he said it might be time to put players "on notice".

"We let ourselves down in a few areas we'll have to review quite closely," Cotchin said.

"Whether or not it's putting guys on notice or just coming together as a group and making sure we're prepared as best we can be for next week.

"Without looking at the game it's hard to see but there's times, me included, where we need to win our one-on-one contests and we let ourselves down.

"We'll do some work on that this week at training and make sure it doesn't happen on a consistent basis."

Cotchin could barely run by the game's end, with Hardwick conceding he was in doubt for Saturday's clash with Greater Western Sydney.

"To his credit he fought it out, that's the type of kid he is - we need a few more like him," Hardwick said.

The Tigers will turn to the VFL for fresh personnel, but Hardwick said ruckman Ivan Maric would likely need another two games after his return on Saturday.

While the coach won't publically draw a line through the season yet, his demeanour suggested he knows the enormity of the task ahead of them if they're to repeat last year's September berth.

"(It's) incredibly disappointing - one, from a seasonal point of view, but then after the death of an icon of our footy club, to dish up that kind of performance was really disappointing," he said.

"We know what's happening - at the bookends, in essence, we're losing the contested ball.

"It was a strength of ours last year and for whatever reason, it's not working this year.

"Funnily enough though today, we lost through the middle as well.

"People will say the emotion got to us, but emotion doesn't come into winning one-on-one contests.

"That's just whether you want it as compared to the bloke beside you.

"Unfortunately, they wanted it a lot more than us today."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-17/dimma-shattered-by-loss

Hellenic Tiger

For 5 losses he's had excuses.
Today he has no clue.
Either the penny has dropped and he realises his gameplan is skata or he has lost the players.

Dimma you are Dead Man Walking.

We still have 58 contracted games of Spud mark 2.

Judging on history we are at Round 8 2002.

Finals 2025 here we come.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
If you don't have the answers Damien.....leave!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
imagine a politician made this excuse
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
im not reading that crap
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

Imagine????????
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Rampstar

read it then take some blood pressure tablets to bring down the blood pressure to normal levels. mine hit 180/110 this afternoon. I actually checked it about 5 minutes before the end of the game.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟

Imagine????????

Pollies always have something to say. even if its crap.

the worst thing to say is nothing. you leave yourself open to every ounce of scrutiny

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
So, you're thinking of putting some guys on notice are you Damian? Halle-effing luliah, it's about time. I'll tell you where to start -Shaun Grigg. Get this effing spud out of the team and out the front door immediately. Then slam it in his face!!!!! Then follow it up with Tyrone Vickery. That soft, weak BLUDGER should NEVER DISGRACE a Richmond jumper again. Finally, replace Charlie Chaplin. I don't care if you repace him with Grimes, Darrou, McIntosh or a stick of celery. JUST GET IT DONE.

Offline Golfprotiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Risking Head and Shin
So, you're thinking of putting some guys on notice are you Damian? Halle-effing luliah, it's about time. I'll tell you where to start -Shaun Grigg. Get this effing spud out of the team and out the front door immediately. Then slam it in his face!!!!! Then follow it up with Tyrone Vickery. That soft, weak BLUDGER should NEVER DISGRACE a Richmond jumper again. Finally, replace Charlie Chaplin. I don't care if you repace him with Grimes, Darrou, McIntosh or a stick of celery. JUST GET IT DONE.

That is Gold Jerry Gold....... Well said  :clapping
Tommy Hafey - "There's nothing more tiger-ish than a bloody tiger, a wounded tiger''

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame

Is that you Kenny Bania?

Hellenic Tiger

Is that you Kenny Bania?

Ovaltine why don't they call it roundine.
The mug is round. So is Chaplin's head.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

:clapping :clapping

And you can add Brandon Ellis too...
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
What's changed?

We lost Leppitsch and Campbell and gained Bailey and McQualter. Most other teams have highly regarded assistant coaches, we have Daly and Mark Williams.

Also, what has happened to Chocco? Has he been muzzled? We'd see him all the time last year on the boundary line now it's like he has disappeared off the face of the earth. Did Hardwick not like him getting all the attention?
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
Oh look, Gold Coast, Footscray, Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong, Melbourne are a bloody good side.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.