Author Topic: Greg Miller  (Read 10600 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Greg Miller
« on: May 07, 2004, 03:15:16 PM »
From the EOTT members section - Tigers need tough people for tough times
richmondfc.com.au

Miller's only starting out in trying to rebuild the side and there's no guarantee he'll succeed but IMO he does appear to have a long-term plan and he seems to know and understand what is wrong and what needs to fixed. He at least communicates what he's thinking and believes well to supporters. No "fairy-floss" comments or silly cliches. I thought some of his comments in this artilce were honest and on the money:

I have to admit that I’ve never seen a playing group so far down in confidence as our players are right now. This loss of confidence leads to poor decision-making, poor execution of skills, as well as a lack of aggression and enthusiasm.

There have been signs in the last couple of weeks of an endeavor to play a more direct, run-on style of football, but it appears to last for only a short period before the opposition lift the pressure and we, unfortunately, are unable to respond.

It’s interesting – and frustrating – to note the number of skill errors that have resulted in a turnover and subsequent goal for our opponents. This then seems to signal the start of a particularly poor period of performance by us on the field.

Some will blame Frawley and his reactive approach spreading to the players (and as you know I'm no fan of Danny's coaching) but we must have some pretty weak-hearted and soft players (and so called "leaders") if a single turnover and goal can break the confidence of most of the side.

While a player may be down in confidence, it shouldn’t stop him from chasing, tackling, smothering or talking (in particular, offering encouragement to teammates). As hard as that may be – it’s an absolute necessity, especially from our leadership group.

I'd reckon this is what has irks most of us the last 2 and bit years. Even though you never tolerate losing, you do realise where we are at as a side. The problem we've had is the insipid performances where most of the guys look like they don't care at all and are just going through the motions. It drives you nuts seeing players not even doing the basic 1%ers. 

We’ll have a lot of decisions to make at the end of this season because, quite obviously, we don’t have the right mix within our playing list.

I think it's safe to say there'll be another clean-out at the end of the year.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 03:18:38 PM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

Re: Greg Miller
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 03:19:06 PM »
I want to know where this lack of confidence in themselves started.  Why, after such a great win against Collingwood, did they suddenly lose confidence?  They should have been oozing confidence when they played Melbourne.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 03:34:27 PM »
I want to know where this lack of confidence in themselves started.  Why, after such a great win against Collingwood, did they suddenly lose confidence?  They should have been oozing confidence when they played Melbourne.

I'd reckon for the senior players it started after that first Essendon game in 2002 where we got pumped from go to woe. After 2001 and the first round thumping of the Pies the guys (as well as the coaches and Club) believed they were the real deal and the gap between us and the likes of Brissy and the Dons at the time was only one game from a GF. That flogging exposed our poor midfield at the time for the whole footy world to see and showed we were nowhere good enough. From then on there seems to be a thinking in our group that you're either a champion team or a bottom side. There's no middle-road. Most of the comp is evenly mediocre when you really think about it. With some luck, form and no injuries on a given day any number of sides could scrape into the top 8. In 2002 the pies made the top 4 with only 13 wins. That use to only just get you into 8th spot.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 03:47:09 PM »
We’ve developed a lot of bad traits over the years.  Win one week, lose the next few.  Play one good quarter, seemingly go to sleep for the rest of the game.

I just think that when we play against teams not on their game, out of form or whatever, then we generally seem to have a chance against such teams (i.e. Collingwood Round 1).  But when we come up against teams that put the pressure on us and play with purpose, we are next to no chance.

I can’t recall the last game we won against a top team who were at their best.  We’ve usually been belted up by them.

Another ‘bad’ trait is that we seemingly wait to see how a game will unfold.  What I mean by that is that, rather than coming out with purpose and taking control of a game from the opening bounce, we seem to wait to react to a game, almost as if we don't know how to take control and so just let it unfold.  Even against teams that we expect to beat and beat well.

These are all traits of a side lacking in many areas.

While some people might like to think we have a reasonable list, we have a lot of ground work to do before we can consider ourselves anywhere near good enough to be top 3 or 4.

The most heartening thing is seeing players such as Hartigan and Roach coming through.  You can all but see the difference in the way they approach and play they game.

They have real enthusiasm and football nous and it almost seems to me that they show up their senior teammates in a number of vital areas.

If things are going to change then, in my view, we need to get the younger players into the leadership group as soon as possible.  Or risk having them develop these same bad habits and traits.  I don’t understand why we keep pushing forward players who have been at the Club for a number of years, while overlooking our younger and very promising players.  Other Clubs seemingly throw their young players to the wolves, so to speak, whereas we seem too frightened to give them a go.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 04:45:35 PM »

Looking at 2004 only I think the lack of confidence was apparent in 4 & 5.

Round 2 against Melbounre there was no spark at all. This leads me to believe that some of the players went out thinking "we pumped the Pies and the Demons got flogged by the Hawks so this is going to be easy". It sure appeared that way while watching and I know I cringe everytime we get a positive write up in the paper.

Round 3 - and we were beated by a much better team. Though I hate to say it the Saints are a better "team" - when things are going badly we just dont  appear to be team orientated.

Round 4 & 5 was when there seemed to be (IMO) no confidence. I believe that this gets back to leadership - players who are struggling look to the leaders for "something" and in rounds 4 & 5 we didn't appear to have any leadership.

Round 6 and most of the leaders were front and centre: Campbell, Tivendale, Johnson, and Ottens.

Round 7 - the big test
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 10:06:57 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 04:59:03 PM »

The most heartening thing is seeing players such as Hartigan and Roach coming through.  You can all but see the difference in the way they approach and play they game.

They have real enthusiasm and football nous and it almost seems to me that they show up their senior teammates in a number of vital areas.

Aint this the truth. I could in a weird suffer through another unsuccesful season if we played all the kids. Depsite getting thumped by Geelong and Adelaide watching the likes of Hartigan, Roach and Krakouer gives us something. It is a really sad reflection on the likes of Bowden and Fiora (though I have seen approvement in him this season) for example, when you see the way the kids go about it - thats what have wanted and waited  for from the others for years now.

If things are going to change then, in my view, we need to get the younger players into the leadership group as soon as possible.  Or risk having them develop these same bad habits and traits.  I don’t understand why we keep pushing forward players who have been at the Club for a number of years, while overlooking our younger and very promising players.  Other Clubs seemingly throw their young players to the wolves, so to speak, whereas we seem too frightened to give them a go.

I think you have touched on a very important point and one that I agree with. By pushing the younger blokes into leadership roles now - they will create the next generation's culture and I think that is something that is needed badly
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Ox

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 05:52:56 PM »

Remember when we lost Richo and after the game Browny spoke with the media?

His vibe was "I dont know how we're gonna do it....but we just have to",speaking about the loss of Richardson.

My point is that 'Cho' is such an integral part of
the structure of the team that all concerned begin
to question themselves when he's not playing - NOT A GOOD THING.
Personally i think this is the perfect reason to clean out the list
including Richo,Gasper,Campbell,Bowden.Kellaway.Rogers and all the
so called veterans of the club to make way for a new beginning.
Their presence this year has been a hinderence to the kids by way of example.
Look at st.kilda - that is the future of AFL.
We cannot build confidence on these foundations.
We need stability and the way our list is atm it would
be like building a house on quicksand.

Offline Tigerrific

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 09:09:55 PM »

Remember when we lost Richo and after the game Browny spoke with the media?

His vibe was "I dont know how we're gonna do it....but we just have to",speaking about the loss of Richardson.

My point is that 'Cho' is such an integral part of
the structure of the team that all concerned begin
to question themselves when he's not playing - NOT A GOOD THING.
Personally i think this is the perfect reason to clean out the list
including Richo,Gasper,Campbell,Bowden.Kellaway.Rogers and all the
so called veterans of the club to make way for a new beginning.
Their presence this year has been a hinderence to the kids by way of example.
Look at st.kilda - that is the future of AFL.
We cannot build confidence on these foundations.
We need stability and the way our list is atm it would
be like building a house on quicksand.

Ox, I would be surprised if we offloaded Richo, he is still our best avenue to goal and the side lacks structure without him.
It's too early to tell if Gaspar will make a full return to form (after his knee reco) and we probably should defer judgement until later in the year. He was our best defender before he did his knee.
Campbell might be worth retaining for another year if he can maintain form.

Kellaway and Rogers are now past it and will be moved on at season's end. Bowden will depend on the length of his new contract and if anyone else wants him. Fletcher, Marsh, Houlihan and Nicholls probably wont be with us next year either.

Rodan, Zantuck, Hilton and Blumfield should be playing for their careers too.

Ox

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 09:50:25 PM »
I know it would totally incapacitate the team as we know it
and also agree that the players mentioned aren't all the worst
in the squad but they aren't the best either and they should be.

My point is that a fresh start is what the club needs.
Richo only plays about 15 games a year at best nowdays due to
injury.That's not what we want.While he is entertaining and
exciting when on song he is equally woeful when not.
Bad Kicking,No 2nd efforts,body language,dummy spits etc are all
major negatives and are a part of the guys game

What can u do about it ? Nothing!
The guys 30 and isn't gonna change.

We make him the centre-piece then we ask for disaster.
Look at what's happened this year ffs.

BTW,I love Richo for what he is but we don't need it anymore.