Author Topic: Macek on the next coach  (Read 2733 times)

froars

Macek on the next coach
« on: June 02, 2004, 06:34:53 PM »
Charles Macek's opinion last night on Fox Footy on who we should have as next coach:

"I think what we were looking for back in 1999, and why Kevin was identified – and it’s probably still one of the important criterion in looking for the next coach, whenever that is – is someone who has been associated with a successful club, either as a player or as a coach.  And whilst there’s no doubt that Danny Frawley was a great leader on the field, and a great person – he’s a really decent human being – both at St Kilda in his playing days, and then in … at Collingwood during his coaching days – neither club enjoyed success.  And given the culture, I think, lies at the heart of the success of a club, I think that’s an important criteria."

Don't we all think that - but nice all the same to think of someone who could possibly be on the board voice that. 

Which brings to mind potential coaches.  I still can't go past Gary O'Donnell.  He has all the hallmarks of not only one successful club, but two.  Has had a great coaching apprenticeship under one of the best in Matthews.  Been associated with two very successful clubs, was a leader at Essendon himself.  He has it all IMHO.

We cannot afford to go out and pay big bucks to someone like Sheeds (although i do hope he holds the thought that he can be somehow useful to the RFC one day).  With O'Donnell as coach, with the possibility of Sheeds coming on the board or whatever in the future, i say go for it.

Your thoughts.  I've heard people raise the name of Craig Lambert as coach.  I heard some innuendo that Craig is quite peeved that RFC could pick his son up under the father/son rule.  I don't think he has a great opinion of our club, so i wonder if he would really be committed.  As i say, is only innuendo and rumour, but i wonder.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Macek on the next coach
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 07:21:14 PM »
I didn't see White Line fever last night.

I would be interested to know if Macek made any comment about what they wanted and what they were able to get were 2 different things. Everyone would agree that if possible you would go for someone who has played in a successful team at a successful club. Unfortunately back in 1999 - no one with that criteria would touch us.

And I wonder with the state we are in now if that has changed. Though, I reckon having Greg Miller is huge tick.

You are right Froars about the money side of things - I don't know whether we will be able to afford an experienced coach. Even if people think Wallace is the man for the job (I don't btw) I question if we can afford him. He wouldn't be cheap.

Which brings us back to a rookie coach. The criteria there has to be some who has done a solid apprecticeship. I am only intrigued by Lambert because he is ex-Richmond and we seem to be crying out for "Richmond" people to come back to the club.

O'Donnell I am not so sure about - he credentials look great having been an assistant under Matthews but I wonder if he would come to a Club like ours. Mark Harvey I would not consider because of the rules he seems to put in place regarding senior positions. Remember he refused to go for the Bulldogs & Kanagroos jobs because of the financial/salary cap restrictions.

Who else is available?

Having the ABC news on in the back gorund - can I suggest Guy McKenna?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 07:24:03 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 01:21:35 PM »
We won't be bringing in a novice coach, one of the following will be our coach.

Kevin Sheedy (expect him to stay with the dons)
Terry Wallace (He wont do it)
Rodney Eade (Most Likely)
Garry ODonnell (Would have to leave lions, highly doubtful)
Mark Harvey (Would have to leave Bombers, highly doubtful)
Gary Ayres (Would have to be sacked from Crows, possibility he would come to us)
Mark Williams (Would have to be sacked from Port, not likely he would want to come to us)

I belive our coach will come from one of the above.

Wallace, Eade, ODonnell and Harvey will be pursued the hardest with Kevin Sheedy being told if you want the job it is yours just tell us.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to pay Kevin Sheedy. Just Kevins presence at the club will generate revenue for us in increased memberships and sponsorships, his presence will undoubtedly inspire confidence in the Richmond football club in the market place. He would be a really good get and is what we need if we want a quickish alround recovery.

My money however is on Rodney Eade, not because I want him (I don't) but because he would take the job, he has always wanted to be a career coach and he is not going to get to many more opportunities to do so IMHO, he'll jump at the chance.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2004, 02:57:40 PM »
My money however is on Rodney Eade, not because I want him (I don't) but because he would take the job, he has always wanted to be a career coach and he is not going to get to many more opportunities to do so IMHO, he'll jump at the chance.

On WLF last night, Terry Wallace really pushed the case for Eade as a coach.  And was of the opinion that if Eade had been coach at a few Clubs this season that he could have won them another 2 or 3 games, as he is very strong on the tactical side of things.

I think why most people wouldn’t want Eade as coach is because of his negative style of play and the effect of that style on the players.

I have never been keen on Eade as the Coach for RFC, but also believe that our expectations of what a coach is and does are unlikely to be met.  So, regardless of who takes on the role at RFC, he will need to have people around him that are stronger in the areas where he (whoever ‘he’ is) is not. I think that is a rule that would need to apply to any Coaching position at any Club, because you are rarely, if ever, going to get a coach who is strong in every area that the role demands.  They seem to be few and far between.

As long as Clubs, and prospective coaches themselves, realise this then appointing a Coach shouldn’t need to be the life and death issue that we seem to make it out to be.  It just needs those coaches to be honest about their strengths and weaknesses and what other people they need around them that will make their job easier and ensure that the team they are in charge of has the best available opportunity to improve.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 05:28:39 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 05:30:25 PM »
it’s probably still one of the important criterion in looking for the next coach, whenever that is – is someone who has been associated with a successful club, either as a player or as a coach.

It's accepted as an argument given that the coaches involved in the last 20 or so flags (Mathews, Pagan, Malthouse, Blight, Sheedy, Parkin, Jeans) came from a successful football background. Tom Hafey didn't come from a successful background during his playing career but did win 3 flags as coach at Shepparton which got him the gig at Tigerland. However IMO it's still no guarantee. The likes of Tim Watson, Peter Schwab, Tony Shaw, etc were champion players in champion teams but failed utterly as coaches. I think some champion players when they become coach can't get a handle on how to deal with managing less talented players since footy just came naturally to them as players. Managing, communicating and understanding every aspect of each of your players is one of the most important requirements of being a good coach.     

Whether a new coach meets our expectations depends on what the expactations of us as a Club from the Board through to the members and supporters are. If we think as before that just by getting a new coach we are magically going to turn around the current mess quickly then no coach has a chance in hell to succeed. However if we as a Club accept that it's going to take a few years to rebuild and develop the entire playing list then the new coach will have time on his side to plan and execute the rebuilding process.   

I wouldn't think money would be such a major problem in terms of getting a new coach as we surely would be able to pick a sponsorship deal especially if we score a high profile coach.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd