Author Topic: The Honesty About Dishonesty (Split from Nth Match Day thread)  (Read 3497 times)

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
Re: The Honesty About Dishonesty (Split from Nth Match Day thread)
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2014, 02:16:21 PM »
I live in Miami FL now. When I first moved to the US in 2008 I had already been a member for 6 years. I continued to buy a membership each year after I moved to support the club.

At the end of 2012 I was blessed with a boy and after surrendering my first born (my little girl) to my wife to follow her wretched, yet successful, magpies. I bought my son a membership and believed that maybe after a much more enjoyable 2013 times were changing.

The RFC was nice enough to automatically renew our memberships in 2014 without my consent. I thought this was a little presumptuous, but probably would have renewed anyway. Not anymore. I hope the club does the same thing again in 2015, because if they do they will loose me forever. I can not reconcile encouraging a child to support a team that is as soulless as the one I follow all too closely.

I will be even more angry if after the pathetic showing we have seen to date they win meaningless games to end the season.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »
i think what annoys me more than anything nowdays is those supporters who defend em no matter what they do. its like we are incapable of keeping our eye on the bigger long term picture.

I think that might be more reflective of some of the boards you post on.  You get the impression some of them are run by the club or sycophants, such are the delusions and the careful censorship of anything negative.  We have our fair share of stupid supporter just like any club but we also have a lot of astute supporters who have grown apathetic.

The thing I find with this club is constant dread,

Dread at the season end because I know we are about to recruit a bunch of slow recycled duds that we don't need.
Dread after the names are read out in each draft, as each player is overshadowed by better players that we should have picked.
Dread after watching the draftees highlights reels and wondering why they were selected?
Dread at seeing other clubs recruit players that you know would have an immediate and long term positive impact on our list.
Dread at the ending of the preseason after another poor campaign.
Dread at the unending excuses and the "its only the preseason comments"
Dread at the anticipation of the season proper and being beaten by Carlton again.
Dread at the excuses for why we are so bad and the positive spin as the season drags on.
Dread at seeing the next batch of recruits fail and having them talked up by loyalists.
Dread as we play too many talls, because quantity makes up for quality. ;)
Dread as the same players that have failed us year in year out continue to get senior games whilst junior players languish in the reserves.
Dread at the prospect that the coach, recruiters, fitness teams will get through another season unscathed despite abominable performances.
Dread that the next coach will be just as bad as the previous one.

Rinse and repeat.

Best post ever. Should be printed out and nailed to the front door at Punt Road.

My biggest worry is the club's inate inabilty to do the right things the right way. We have a bad season they handle it badly, we have a rare good season, they handle it even worse. The rest of competition must love us - we're like a cautionary tale and living guide on how to not run a football club or build a list, WWRD - then do the opposite.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2014, 03:14:15 PM »
It's not all doom and gloom.
Credit where it's due this administration has achieved some fantastic results, unfortunately they've all been off field.
The football department and team have been the real failure here.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2014, 10:38:33 AM »
Credit where it's due this administration has achieved some fantastic results, unfortunately they've all been off field.

Long term - hell even medium term. Can these fantastic results continue given the on field situation?

Crunch the numbers and I doubt keeping the current coach works out as losing less money given the big picture.

Rampstar

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2014, 01:27:19 PM »

What fantastic results have they achieved?

the facilities? which were planned, organised and got approved under Steven Wrights Administration
the profit? which has come on the back of Richmond supporters buying memberships
what exactly have they done? change the logo - yes, come up with a plan 3-0-75 which they didnt achieve, paid off the debt - yes but done on the backs of Richmond supporters. This administration is way way overrated.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 07:47:12 PM »
Along with extending Dimmas contract for 2 years I agree, the off field have taken a step back this year.
I do think that have executed their off field plan well, the re-development of the ground, setting up of theVFL team, all while paying off the debt.
In the past we've paid off debt, spent money and gone back into debt.
Although elements are misguided, I like the unity - now they may be lead our club in formation off a Cliff but at least they are doing it together!

It would be good to hear them be a little more transparent if they do think they've made some mistakes this year - they now have nothing to lose by saying that.
In time, I'd like to hear what they are planning to do and ensure they've actually learnt from this year as it's the reoccurring errors this club makes which becomes very tiresome for those of us who have seen it time and again.
The reality is that with the way the draw stacks it in favour of the crap sides, we get a soft draw.
One decent free agent, a decent round 1 draft pick and a good pre season draft pick and who knows? We might finish 9th!
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 07:55:16 PM »

What fantastic results have they achieved?

the facilities? which were planned, organised and got approved under Steven Wrights Administration
the profit? which has come on the back of Richmond supporters buying memberships
what exactly have they done? change the logo - yes, come up with a plan 3-0-75 which they didnt achieve, paid off the debt - yes but done on the backs of Richmond supporters. This administration is way way overrated.

Yes the ME Bank Centre was in play but noT the resurfacing and rebuilding of Punt Road Oval. Stand alone VFL side, record levels of sponsorship and membership, united the club (until this year :-[)..
Yes the supporters have had a lot to do with funding and debt reduction but the administration still has to facilitate it. Doesn't happen by magic.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2014, 08:12:24 PM »
Doesn't happen by magic.

Maybe you should get your act together then

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2014, 11:36:09 PM »
I will reserve my judgment on this adminsistratiom until after this summer.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2014, 11:49:41 PM »
I will reserve my judgment on this adminsistratiom until after this summer.

It's what we might do in the off-season that I'm dreading the most.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline H Tiger

• Premiership Captain
  • Tigers the biggest hunter
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2014, 03:47:33 AM »
I hope we are honest with a few more players in the off season.

If those 9 wins keep the status quo and the Conca's and Edwards of this club don't have to work for their spots we will be in the same position as we were round 13 last season.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2014, 08:22:18 AM »
We have poor standards on the field.