Author Topic: Demons and Dogs -Tigers ?  (Read 9732 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Demons and Dogs -Tigers ?
« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2014, 11:11:33 AM »
If Roos or Ross Lyon came anywhere near Tigerland I would not only microwave my membership for all eternity, but I would put my home in the heart of Richmond up for sale and move to the North Pole.

Wow.

Oh, and further to that, I would then take up a lifelong interest in the much under-appreciated sport of synchronised paint-drying.

I am surprised to hear this.

I assume your position is due to dislike ping roos/Lyon defensive football.

Fom my perspective - hardwick also plays defensive football. He plays in an ugly style kicking toward the pocket. Not only is this not an effective style, it's no good on the eye.

I believe the list is strong enough to be a top four or six side under a roos and Lyon.

Not the current list they do not tackle enough

They would under roos or Lyon

Not half of them

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2014, 11:18:57 AM »
If Roos or Ross Lyon came anywhere near Tigerland I would not only microwave my membership for all eternity, but I would put my home in the heart of Richmond up for sale and move to the North Pole.

Double Wow....I just want to see a premiership before I die - and if Richmond play a "boa constrictor " style of football that's just dandy.

I am in the same boat as matt.

I want to die seeing one flag for the yellow and black.

This is why I am strongly against playing mature list blockers over young kids that could be potential decent. And against winning meaningless games against the lion and saints that are mostly 18 year old.

The lack of understanding of the system the clubs finds it self in.

Also why I find my self in the sack the coach pperspective.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »

Wow.

Oh, and further to that, I would then take up a lifelong interest in the much under-appreciated sport of synchronised paint-drying.

Fom my perspective - hardwick also plays defensive football. He plays in an ugly style kicking toward the pocket. Not only is this not an effective style, it's no good on the eye.

I believe the list is strong enough to be a top four or six side under a roos and Lyon.

Not the current list they do not tackle enough

They would under roos or Lyon

Not half of them

After watching roos and Lyon teams for some years - I am confident the players would tackle hard and be well structured. If not they wouldn't get a gig.  (Griggs, houlis

Gigantor

« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2014, 11:22:15 AM »
was astounded yesterday to see Bacha metres behind his man on countless occasions....just no accountability

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2014, 06:22:26 PM »

Wow.

My gut feeling is that the Tigers ideally would like to play the high scoring, free flowing footy that the public enjoys, but are frustrated and stymied by the tendency of most teams nowadays to turn the game into an ugly, congested slog. Clearly we have no answer for it, and as such we are playing, hesitant, timid and confused. Basically, the only way to overcome this style is to beat these teams at their own game, but as many on here have correctly noted, we have too many soft, lazy and unaccountable players to achieve that. I would love to see another Premiership before I die too, but unlike Matt and possibly many others here I don't want to do it by seeing us strangle out a six goal winning score line in a September snorefest.
It's funny that this argument should come up here, because it's one I've had many times with a fellow Tiger fanatic who claims I would accept any kind of win just to break the drought, while I'm adamant that I wouldn't accept us playing the Roos/Lyon style under ANY circumstances. I just want to take back the old game that I once loved and really miss from these effing vandals.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2014, 06:48:32 PM »

Wow.

My gut feeling is that the Tigers ideally would like to play the high scoring, free flowing footy that the public enjoys, but are frustrated and stymied by the tendency of most teams nowadays to turn the game into an ugly, congested slog. Clearly we have no answer for it, and as such we are playing, hesitant, timid and confused
. Basically, the only way to overcome this style is to beat these teams at their own game, but as many on here have correctly noted, we have too many soft, lazy and unaccountable players to achieve that. I would love to see another Premiership before I die too, but unlike Matt and possibly many others here I don't want to do it by seeing us strangle out a six goal winning score line in a September snorefest.
It's funny that this argument should come up here, because it's one I've had many times with a fellow Tiger fanatic who claims I would accept any kind of win just to break the drought, while I'm adamant that I wouldn't accept us playing the Roos/Lyon style under ANY circumstances. I just want to take back the old game that I once loved and really miss from these effing vandals.

It's an interesting discussion IMO. No doubt in a perfect world dimma would pay beautiful, high scoring total football. However as others have stated there is no plan b. what is dimma response when the opposition puts men behind the ball? I cannot forget the north game when Scott put 18 blokes behind the ball and ran out rugby style to score time and time again. Is there some game plan to counter this?

It is not the coach fault that the trend is ugly rugby/soccer possession defensive football. But he is at fault is his too tactically poor to either embrace the trend or counter act it. 

IMO the spot at the top level has been ugly for a long time... I am shocked to hear you wouldn't want a prove. Gun coach at richmond.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2014, 11:33:42 PM »
Judge, Tommy Hafey's philosophy was that the game was won on attacking footy. Ideally I subscribe to this view as well. I realize however that the game has long since evolved or more aptly devolved well beyond Tommy's style of play, and more's the pity. I miss the days when players more or less stuck to their positions, and when the play was down the other end of the ground the key forwards and defenders would stand alongside each other with hands on hips waiting for the ball to come back towards them, ready to throw themselves back into the fray. The days when the positions on a  team sheet actually meant something. Now, you could attend any game over any round, and all you will see are 36 blokes playing twister on a postage stamp, while tumbleweeds blow through vast expanses of the ground, and I HATE THAT!!
 I can't understand why you'd be surprised that I wouldn't want a Paul Roos or a Ross Lyon within a mile of my footy club. I'm just so disillusioned with the game right now. In fact I haven't been to a game since the Essendon debacle.Between Richmond's 32 year (and counting ) cycle of ongoing hopelessness, the rugby crap that the game's degenerated into, the tanking denials, Essendon's never ending drug saga, inconsistent MRP rulings, the favouritism shown to the Interstate sides, particularly the resources thrown at the new mickey mouse franchises, I really feel like giving the game away.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2014, 09:20:24 AM »
Great posts RR  :clapping

The game is going to a bad state and away from what made it the icon of Australia sport.  I fear it will not be able to reverse the current trend of ugly football.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2014, 09:24:18 AM »
Soccer is a great game.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2014, 09:26:26 AM »
No its not, would rather watch my Grandma pick lint out of her washing

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2014, 09:38:44 AM »
You do that then. Tell her I said hi

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2014, 09:59:51 AM »
You do that then. Tell her I said hi

Rumour was you already did that last night

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: July 07, 2014, 06:39:33 PM »
No its not, would rather watch my Grandma pick lint out of her washing

Judge wants to pick it out of her belly button

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2014, 07:52:13 PM »
Great posts RR  :clapping

The game is going to a bad state and away from what made it the icon of Australia sport.  I fear it will not be able to reverse the current trend of ugly football.

But is it hardwicka fault to fix the ugliness of the game?

Shouldn't he focus on winning a flag?

Are these two things separate?

the claw

« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2014, 07:55:54 PM »
was astounded yesterday to see Bacha metres behind his man on countless occasions....just no accountability
for a 188cm player hes just too slow.  at afl level he is your typical in betweener.