Author Topic: Jeff Garlett to Richmond?  (Read 6134 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jeff Garlett to Richmond?
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2014, 06:26:54 PM »
hmm jeff garlett.
1/ still only 24.
2/  is a bona fide goal kicker at afl level. 39, 48, 29, 43,  goals in his previous 4 seasons.  what sml fwd have we had who can do that.

IF  and thats A  BIG if with hartley, garlett can be bought to the club on the CHEAP.  he would be a massive upgrade on any SML FWD WE RICHMOND HAVE HAD IN THE LAST 10 YRS.

What the eff do you want a sml fwd to do??? whats that i hear??? regularly kick goals, kick em out of his arse at times well garlett certainly fits that bill and imo he has upside.

now what to give up. certainly not picks 3, 21 or 39. offer em up a player.   give em peaheart and we get drat pick upgrades.
I don't agree. He kicked those goals because all efforts were on Betts. Guess what, we don't have a Betts.
What has he done this year without him? Twelve goals from 9 games. And he is playing in a side that is playing slightly better than us.
He is mentally weak. We don't need another one of those!

Ps Shank Edwards has kicked 13 goals!
your entitled to your opinion even if i disagree with it. lol shamk edwards.  as a sml goal kicking fwd garlett actually has the runs on the board.  yes hes having a lousy yr in all areas not just kicking goals.
if he was cheap  as a sml goalkicking fwd he without doubt would be a massive upgrade on any sml fwd we have had in  god knows how long. and thats based on performance no other thing .

its hilarious here we hve a bloke whos having a poor yr  but been very consistent till this yr yet we have our own players  who for yrs on end do nothing but show a little bit in oine yr and they are good players.
with so many of you blokes its all about what you see now and you get sucked in hook line and sinker.  id suggest you look constantly at what players have done for the entirety of their careers and you may get a better idea when comparing them .
unlike hampson this bloke has the runs on the board. for 4 yrs in a row hes kicked goals in a shizen side.name one richmond player of his type who has been better yet alone close to what hes produced as far as hitting the scoreboard goes for 4 yrs in a row.
and dont give me the betts bull poo a lot of the time hes looked a better player than betts. how old is eddie 28 29.

garlett or edwards as a sml fwd based on performance,  mate they arent in the same ball park.
. sheesh with logic like that ablett could have a shocking yr next yr and he would be no good.
Well said mate... I'm with you, I think he is a very good small forward. Struggled a little this year being in and out of the side. Not sure he and Mick see eye to eye. Looks to me like he needs a fresh start. Averaging 40 odd goals a season for the last 4 season speaks for itself.  We could do a lot worse than Garlett.
As for the S. Edwards comparison  :lol and even funnier thinking McDonough will make it as a small forward. Lloyd has him covered and I could beat him in a leg race.  :whistle
Lol!!!!!
I compared him to Edwards because I'm saying they are both bad.!!!!
How many goals would a mentally weak player like Garlett kick after he has contracted Tigeritis?
I'd rather recruit a young talented indiginous player than another Carlton reject.

NO MORE MONEYBALL!!!
Averaging 40 goals a season for 4 seasons for a small forward is not bad.
Hardly Moneyball!
Just because he is from another club doesn't mean it's Moneyball (even if you put it in CAPITAL LETTERS)  :lol :thumbsup
Doesn't really matter anyway YABB, we haven't got the balls!
It takes bigger balls to pick them young and develop them ourselves IMHO.
Neither you nor claw has conceded that he scored the goals with Betts in the side and his loss of "form" has coincided with Betts leaving.
Coincidence?
It coincides with Carlton being 2h1t this year too IMO.
Serious question- have you ever seen him play? Because if you had of, you would know he is a pretty good footballer. You don't kick 40 odd goals in the AFL for the last 4 seasons as a genuine small forward with another "better" small forward taking some of your crumbs. That's as straight forward as it needs to go!
As for picking our own, that hasn't worked for a long time now has it!
As I said before no point taking about it because I don't think we have the guts to take another Carlton footballer after the last  disaster.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2014, 06:29:52 PM »
hmm jeff garlett.
1/ still only 24.
2/  is a bona fide goal kicker at afl level. 39, 48, 29, 43,  goals in his previous 4 seasons.  what sml fwd have we had who can do that.

IF  and thats A  BIG if with hartley, garlett can be bought to the club on the CHEAP.  he would be a massive upgrade on any SML FWD WE RICHMOND HAVE HAD IN THE LAST 10 YRS.

What the eff do you want a sml fwd to do??? whats that i hear??? regularly kick goals, kick em out of his arse at times well garlett certainly fits that bill and imo he has upside.

now what to give up. certainly not picks 3, 21 or 39. offer em up a player.   give em peaheart and we get drat pick upgrades.
I don't agree. He kicked those goals because all efforts were on Betts. Guess what, we don't have a Betts.
What has he done this year without him? Twelve goals from 9 games. And he is playing in a side that is playing slightly better than us.
He is mentally weak. We don't need another one of those!

Ps Shank Edwards has kicked 13 goals!
your entitled to your opinion even if i disagree with it. lol shamk edwards.  as a sml goal kicking fwd garlett actually has the runs on the board.  yes hes having a lousy yr in all areas not just kicking goals.
if he was cheap  as a sml goalkicking fwd he without doubt would be a massive upgrade on any sml fwd we have had in  god knows how long. and thats based on performance no other thing .

its hilarious here we hve a bloke whos having a poor yr  but been very consistent till this yr yet we have our own players  who for yrs on end do nothing but show a little bit in oine yr and they are good players.
with so many of you blokes its all about what you see now and you get sucked in hook line and sinker.  id suggest you look constantly at what players have done for the entirety of their careers and you may get a better idea when comparing them .
unlike hampson this bloke has the runs on the board. for 4 yrs in a row hes kicked goals in a shizen side.name one richmond player of his type who has been better yet alone close to what hes produced as far as hitting the scoreboard goes for 4 yrs in a row.
and dont give me the betts bull poo a lot of the time hes looked a better player than betts. how old is eddie 28 29.

garlett or edwards as a sml fwd based on performance,  mate they arent in the same ball park.
. sheesh with logic like that ablett could have a shocking yr next yr and he would be no good.
Well said mate... I'm with you, I think he is a very good small forward. Struggled a little this year being in and out of the side. Not sure he and Mick see eye to eye. Looks to me like he needs a fresh start. Averaging 40 odd goals a season for the last 4 season speaks for itself.  We could do a lot worse than Garlett.
As for the S. Edwards comparison  :lol and even funnier thinking McDonough will make it as a small forward. Lloyd has him covered and I could beat him in a leg race.  :whistle
Lol!!!!!
I compared him to Edwards because I'm saying they are both bad.!!!!
How many goals would a mentally weak player like Garlett kick after he has contracted Tigeritis?
I'd rather recruit a young talented indiginous player than another Carlton reject.

NO MORE MONEYBALL!!!
Averaging 40 goals a season for 4 seasons for a small forward is not bad.
Hardly Moneyball!
Just because he is from another club doesn't mean it's Moneyball (even if you put it in CAPITAL LETTERS)  :lol :thumbsup
Doesn't really matter anyway YABB, we haven't got the balls!
It takes bigger balls to pick them young and develop them ourselves IMHO.
Neither you nor claw has conceded that he scored the goals with Betts in the side and his loss of "form" has coincided with Betts leaving.
Coincidence?
Serious question- have you ever seen him play? Because if you had of, you would know he is a pretty good footballer. You don't kick 40 odd goals in the AFL for the last 4 seasons as a genuine small forward with another "better" small forward taking some of your crumbs. That's as straight forward as it needs to go!
As for picking our own, that hasn't worked for a long time now has it!
As I said before no point taking about it because I don't think we have the guts to take another Carlton footballer after the last  disaster.
I have seen him play. I have seen him miss the easiest of goals when under pressure.
I say no thanks.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2014, 07:54:45 PM »

Would that be the same Jeff Garlett who had a 13 possession, 1 point game against us in the 2's this week, getting shut down by Matt McDonough?

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2014, 08:06:15 PM »
The club that keeps giving.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2014, 09:45:10 PM »
Hahahahahahahahahahaha another monkeyball special

What a legacy

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

the claw

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2014, 10:13:04 PM »

Would that be the same Jeff Garlett who had a 13 possession, 1 point game against us in the 2's this week, getting shut down by Matt McDonough?

when matt manages to ave more than 10 possesions a game for 4 or 5 weeks in a row yet alone ave 4o odd goals a season he may get a bit of credability. some people insist they actually do something before acclaiming them.

cmon smokey as far as kicking goals go for sml fwds over a decent period , in this case the previous 4 yrs,  garlett over that period is almost unmatched by any player other than milne and his former team mate betts.  for a sml fwd hes been elite when it comes to hitting the scoreboard.
if you gave me the choice at the start of the yr of taking betts or garlett i would have taken garlett.

ffs we scream out for yrs for a GOALKICKING QUICK SMART CRUMBIMG SML FWD.  Heres a bloke who fits that bill perfectly who may be on the market who is out of contract and we could get him very cheap, has a proven track record,  is still only 24, without doubt would be a massive upgrade on any sml fwd we have had in yrs,  and the nuffies here turn their noses up at him. and they tern their noses up at him not based on his over all  performances  but because hes from carlton, or they would rather draft a kid at pick 60  thats where sml fwds get taken , or god forbid he missed a sitter from the goal square once.  unbelievable.
take garlett cheap use a late nd or rookie pick and get a kid in to the system while at it. how hard is it. fair dinkum its time people stopped and had a proper think abouty what they post.

Edited to correct quote
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:28:05 PM by WilliamPowell »

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: June 18, 2014, 12:07:05 AM »

when matt manages to ave more than 10 possesions a game for 4 or 5 weeks in a row yet alone ave 4o odd goals a season he may get a bit of credability. some people insist they actually do something before acclaiming them.

cmon smokey as far as kicking goals go for sml fwds over a decent period , in this case the previous 4 yrs,  garlett over that period is almost unmatched by any player other than milne and his former team mate betts.  for a sml fwd hes been elite when it comes to hitting the scoreboard.
if you gave me the choice at the start of the yr of taking betts or garlett i would have taken garlett.

ffs we scream out for yrs for a GOALKICKING QUICK SMART CRUMBIMG SML FWD.  Heres a bloke who fits that bill perfectly who may be on the market who is out of contract and we could get him very cheap, has a proven track record,  is still only 24, without doubt would be a massive upgrade on any sml fwd we have had in yrs,  and the nuffies here turn their noses up at him. and they tern their noses up at him not based on his over all  performances  but because hes from carlton, or they would rather draft a kid at pick 60  thats where sml fwds get taken , or god forbid he missed a sitter from the goal square once.  unbelievable.
take garlett cheap use a late nd or rookie pick and get a kid in to the system while at it. how hard is it. fair dinkum its time people stopped and had a proper think abouty what they post.

Edited to correct quote
Just because some of us disagree,  doesn't mean you have to throw a hissy fit!
He was good with Betts on a consistent basis.  Without Betts he looks lost. I think the two are related but I may be wrong.  But then again, you may be wrong!  Have you considered that?

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #67 on: June 18, 2014, 04:08:50 AM »
Get real Claw he is lazy and doesnt work hard enough plays one good game in about 8 games.I will freak if we get him after this season.Knowing our footy department they will :banghead.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: June 18, 2014, 05:05:04 AM »

Edited to correct quote
He was good with Betts on a consistent basis.  Without Betts he looks lost. I think the two are related but I may be wrong.  But then again, you may be wrong!  Have you considered that?
Who says "hissy fit" these days? I bet you also say "oops a disaiy's"
Cannot take you serious when you sound like a 6 year old girl.  :thumbsup

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2014, 05:30:22 AM »

Edited to correct quote

He's a slight upgrade on Robbie Nahas and he's a year and half younger.
Their career averages aren't much different although Garlett averages a little more in goals per game Robbie gets the ball a little more.
If we are trying to seriously improve the list you'd either disagree with the delisting of Nahas or spend energy getting someone better than Garlett.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2014, 07:02:44 AM »

Edited to correct quote
You always have to start denigrating don't you big tone? Can't have a conversation without abuse or name calling coming in to it.
Mate, you're the one that needs to grow up.  Maybe your name should be little tone as you remind me of my childhood days when kids used to say "he said that word, ooohhhh, that's a girls word, ooohhh!"

Just act like a mature adult please!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2014, 07:28:04 AM »

FFS Claw, I only mentioned McDonough because BT doesn't rate him at all and yet he was able to shut down the player he was talking up as worth recruiting.  As YAB said, Garlett's career stats are very similar to Nahas yet everyone on here was glad to see the back of Robbie last year and I don't know what Garlett brings to the table that Nahas didn't.  He goes missing in as many games, he's just as unaccountable, and now without a primary small forward to take the heat he has been found seriously wanting.  If Malthouse can't get him playing good consistent football then I strongly doubt our sub-standard group of coaches have the ability to do so.  I would rather spend the rest of the season persevering with Lloyd and even trying McDonough back in his natural position to see if they have the capacity to step up, and then addressing our needs with kids from the draft if that fails, than taking on another soft, lazy, unaccountable player from another club.  For a man as strong on list structures as yourself, I think you would agree we have enough of those types spread through the team!

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »

Edited to correct quote
You always have to start denigrating don't you big tone? Can't have a conversation without abuse or name calling coming in to it.
Mate, you're the one that needs to grow up.  Maybe your name should be little tone as you remind me of my childhood days when kids used to say "he said that word, ooohhhh, that's a girls word, ooohhh!"

Just act like a mature adult please!
Is that a hissy fit?  :cheers
Only joking mate, lighten up.  :thumbsup
We have to talk about players from other clubs because we are so crap.

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2014, 11:15:18 AM »
I honestly think some people get their opinions of opposition players from either how opposition players play against RFC or their highlight reels

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2014, 11:58:51 AM »
I honestly think some people get their opinions of opposition players from either how opposition players play against RFC or their highlight reels

Like everyone's opinion of Eddie Betts?? No one (this forum or the club) wanted him and look at him now, playing some of the best footy of his career!!

Perhaps not enough attention is paid to these types of players and we miss out, story of our recruitment life!!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"