Author Topic: Richmond coach Damien Hardwick all praise for skipper Trent Cotchin despite Tige  (Read 1340 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick all praise for skipper Trent Cotchin despite Tigers’ tough season
by: Staff writer
June 18, 2014 9:49AM

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick says Trent Cotchin is growing into his leadership role, saying the Tigers skipper has been “nothing short of sensational” in recent weeks despite the club’s on-field woes.

Richmond is 3-9 heading into Round 14 with finals now out of the picture after a horror season.

Many have pointed the finger at the Tigers’ leaders inability to stand up this season, but Hardwick says Cotchin has lacked support at times and is now starting to shine.

Asked if his club was getting enough from its leaders on match day, Hardwick said the majority of his experienced players — such as Ivan Maric, Brett Deledio, Alex Rance and Daniel Jackson — had missed significant chunks of the year and it was unfair to point the finger at the club’s leaders.

“We’re asking a lot of Trent to lead the footy club at the age of 24 and funnily enough I think he’s had his best five weeks as captain over the last five weeks when we’ve needed him most,” Hardwick told SEN.

“He’s been nothing short of sensational leading from the front, playing some good footy but more importantly being more demanding of the guys below him which is an incredible feat for a guy that’s starting to play some really good footy.

“Look he’s always been a very good captain, but I think when we’ve needed him most — in our time of need — he’s been nothing short of sensational.”

Hardwick said Cotchin’s leadership style was similar to Blues captain Marc Murphy.

“Both Cotch and Murph are very good at leading by example with the way they play,” Hardwick said.

“Trent’s had to work a lot on that area and that’s one thing he’s done — he speaks to a lot of people, he’s constantly getting feedback on how to get better and we’re starting to see the benefits of that.

“There is a little bit of a lag effect ... he’s only going to get better as he goes on.”

Despite the Tigers’ miserable season, Hardwick said any talk of disharmony at Punt Road was off the mark.

“I get really upset by that because I don’t think I’ve ever felt as united as a footy club as what we have now,” Hardwick said.

“We’ve got outstanding leadership through Peggy (club president Peggy O’Neal), Brendan (CEO Brendan Gale), all the way down ... I feel really strongly that we’re in a really good spot going forward.

“We’ve just got to make sure we continue to demand better of ourselves.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-all-praise-for-skipper-trent-cotchin-despite-tigers-tough-season/story-fndv8t7m-1226958402217
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
Heard that interview this morning. Turned it off when I heard him trot out one of his favorites .... " look , we know where we're at as a club "
 Got some news for ya Dimma. We . the supporters , know where we're at too. On the effing bottom of the ladder.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Tigers of Old

• Premiership Captain
  • @Tigers_of_Old
Cotch looks like he needs a pump up right now.

tony_montana

Heard that interview this morning. Turned it off when I heard him trot out one of his favorites .... " look , we know where we're at as a club " Got some news for ya Dimma. We . the supporters , know where we're at too. On the effing bottom of the ladder.

so you missed the next part of his favourite line which continues "..but more importantly we know where we want to get to"

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
Heard that interview this morning. Turned it off when I heard him trot out one of his favorites .... " look , we know where we're at as a club " Got some news for ya Dimma. We . the supporters , know where we're at too. On the effing bottom of the ladder.

so you missed the next part of his favourite line which continues "..but more importantly we know where we want to get to"

lol , yeh Tony , we know where we want to get to...second bottom ! baby steps  ;D
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline unplugged

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
“We’ve just got to make sure we continue to demand better of ourselves.”

Top 5 to equal last.  We are soo much better now.

Hes continuing to demand too much from the boys, no doubt.

I wonder how Cotchin's teammates cope with him being worshiped by the coach..   Its biblical.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Rubbish article

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Rubbish article

Can't be a rubbish article when it is what he actually said on the wireless this morning

He also mentioned something blokes needing to earn the right to the wear the jumper  ;D

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame

“We’re asking a lot of Trent to lead the footy club at the age of 24 and funnily enough I think he’s had his best five weeks as captain over the last five weeks when we’ve needed him most,” Hardwick told

Stuffing hilarious Dimma.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

tony_montana

Just heard a grab of our coach's interview this morning on my way home - did I hear correctly when Dimma made mention of our leaders in Maric, Rance and Deledio missing a lot of games?   :lol

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame

He also mentioned something blokes needing to earn the right to the wear the jumper  ;D
Only if they are in the VFL. Blokes in the AFL can poo all over the jumper.  :banghead :banghead

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Dimma said "we're asking a lot" of Cotchin at 24 being captain of the club

Sorry Dimma but you recommended his appointment, wanted him as captain. Didn't you think at the time it was a lot to ask? Or is it only now because we're having a crap season that it's a lot to ask.

Fair dinkum you can't have it both what's.

All comments like this do is make people frustrated because it just souns like more spin

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
Funnily enough, I think he's taking the pee
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
The 2 front runners for captaincy were Lids and Cotchin right? We can only hypothesise but I wonder how Deledio would've handled the captaincy? For starters, the feeling of being bottom of the ladder is a familiar feeling

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
Rancer should have been captain, u heard it hear first  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled