Author Topic: Tigers eye midfielders, forward in draft (Age)  (Read 1974 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers eye midfielders, forward in draft (Age)
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 04:47:37 PM »
Angus the issue for me anyway is not what number draft pick  we get but rather how we develop those picks.....I hate to say it because its one hell of an overused word these days but its the culture of the place that breeds success.

I agree with you actually and would say it's more important than a draft pick

I just think winning meaningless games doesn't  improve our culture and hasn't done so for 30 yrs.
What it does is suck the RFC into believing they are better than what they are

How does beating GWS with say a Newman who walked straight back in ahead of Arnot, improve the culture of the place. It's  an indictment on the club we can't rarely find any player from pick 20 onwards.

Marty White yeah let's make him sub ahead of Newman and then get rid of him while handing others 3 yr deals

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Gigantor

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 04:52:32 PM »
I agree Angus ..the processes the club has ,such as promoting newman are not right.
I know matty white had his critics but we should never had let him go.And what makes it worse we got nada for him,as we did for mcguane..doesn't that also say something about our club.

The one thing that sticks in my mind about matty white is when he got demoted to the ressies he would go back and work his backside off in the ressies,and virtually demand to be promoted.I think that type of character is what we want at the club

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 05:06:29 PM »
Trade Vickery but keep Griffiths? Or the other way around?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 05:10:42 PM »
if this is genuine from the club its the first sign of admitting to a rebuild
What a lot of rot, we have the foundation of a gilt edged midfield , add another star to cotch lids Martin Ellis conca vlas and like whoa , look out  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 05:34:24 PM »
Lmao

That's how STUPID they are.
Not going after frawley cos back line is fine but was a KF.

LOL. Frawley can play fwd and smash it.
What a pack of f ksticks.
NFI

It's you who has NFI... Frawley's no better than Astbury who we only need to pay half as much.

As opposed to you who, according to you, knows more than anyone. Haha
Caracella and Balmey.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 06:26:52 PM »
Angus the issue for me anyway is not what number draft pick  we get but rather how we develop those picks.....I hate to say it because its one hell of an overused word these days but its the culture of the place that breeds success.

I agree with you actually and would say it's more important than a draft pick

I just think winning meaningless games doesn't  improve our culture and hasn't done so for 30 yrs.
What it does is suck the RFC into believing they are better than what they are

How does beating GWS with say a Newman who walked straight back in ahead of Arnot, improve the culture of the place. It's  an indictment on the club we can't rarely find any player from pick 20 onwards.

Marty White yeah let's make him sub ahead of Newman and then get rid of him while handing others 3 yr deals

Excellent post Angus

You have highlighted the key for mine when you said especially the bit on bold, that's what's killed us this year, going into the season believing the list is better than what it is and recruiting thinking there's just a few gaps. We didn't have gaps we had gaping holes

"I just think winning meaningless games doesn't  improve our culture and hasn't done so for 30 yrs.
What it does is suck the RFC into believing they are better than what they are"

I agree Angus ..the processes the club has ,such as promoting newman are not right.
I know matty white had his critics but we should never had let him go.And what makes it worse we got nada for him,as we did for mcguane..doesn't that also say something about our club.

The one thing that sticks in my mind about matty white is when he got demoted to the ressies he would go back and work his backside off in the ressies,and virtually demand to be promoted.I think that type of character is what we want at the club

That's why I keep banging on about what messages are they sending the kids busting their guts in the VFL. They are working their collective backsides off and aren't getting opportunities. But others who constantly let us down remain at VFL level...
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2014, 06:56:08 PM »
My guess is that we will trade Griff or Vickery for another first round draft pick plus perhaps another player of worth to try and have a stab at securing Cameron and then use our remaining first pick on a quality midfielder. Given that both Saints and Brisbane will probably finish below us and are both looking for a tall forward, looking for a forward in the draft, with our first pick at this stage, will be more difficult than giving up that same pick for a trade imo.

As I said just a guess at this stage though  :thumbsup

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2014, 07:11:10 PM »
My guess is that we will trade Griff or Vickery for another first round draft pick plus perhaps another player of worth to try and have a stab at securing Cameron and then use our remaining first pick on a quality midfielder. Given that both Saints and Brisbane will probably finish below us and are both looking for a tall forward, looking for a forward in the draft, with our first pick at this stage, will be more difficult than giving up that same pick for a trade imo.

As I said just a guess at this stage though  :thumbsup

We are not going to get a first round draft pick for either Vickery or Griffiths even with a 2nd player included unless the 2nd player is a very good player. IMHO best you could expect for Vickery is a late 2nd rounder.

But it's a mute point they won't trade him, they've only re-signed in the last 6 months. Plus throw in his season has been poor doubt their be many suitors

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 07:24:11 PM »
There would be a lot of suitors for TV as everyone would be backing themselves to do what others have done in taking ex RFC players  to career best form ...I think we ll keep him, best offer would be mid 20s I'd think .....griff may attract 30ish draft pick. ...again clubs will see the upside in taking him up a notch. I'd let him go

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 08:04:21 PM »
There would be a lot of suitors for TV as everyone would be backing themselves to do what others have done in taking ex RFC players  to career best form ...I think we ll keep him, best offer would be mid 20s I'd think .....griff may attract 30ish draft pick. ...again clubs will see the upside in taking him up a notch. I'd let him go

I agree. After missing out on Adams last year and not looking for a big name for many years, I think we will be going after Cameron this year. It may take our first round draft pick and if we can trade out a 'surplus' player such as Griff, to swap picks with GWS this would work for both teams. I would give up a 2nd tier player such as a Foley, Edwards, etc plus swapping first round draft picks and our second round draft pick to get Cameron.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 08:26:12 PM »

I agree. After missing out on Adams last year and not looking for a big name for many years, I think we will be going after Cameron this year. It may take our first round draft pick and if we can trade out a 'surplus' player such as Griff, to swap picks with GWS this would work for both teams. I would give up a 2nd tier player such as a Foley, Edwards, etc plus swapping first round draft picks and our second round draft pick to get Cameron.

Cannot see GWS trading Cameron, he's contracted they won't be letting him go in a hurry. They may have no choice at the end of 2015 but they have the choice in 2014 so IMO they won't trade him

Gigantor

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 08:47:35 PM »
Given Cameron is out of the picture who else might be available to plug the holes up forward and in the midfield...And I'm not talking about players on other clubs scrap heaps

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 09:09:04 PM »
Given Cameron is out of the picture who else might be available to plug the holes up forward and in the midfield...And I'm not talking about players on other clubs scrap heaps

Plenty of talent up at GWS. Boyd would be nice

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2014, 10:48:02 PM »
Shaun mckernan, Leroy Jetta  :shh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2014, 11:52:08 PM »
Shaun mckernan, Leroy Jetta  :shh

That does sound more like the kind of crap we'd target - nice work Bo, one of your more believable posts.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.