Author Topic: How the Tiger draftees are developing in 2005 - RFC Site  (Read 2247 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
How the Tiger draftees are developing in 2005 - RFC Site
« on: July 21, 2005, 04:43:23 PM »
How the Tiger draftees are developing in 2005
2:12:53 PM Thu 21 July, 2005

Richmond coach Terry Wallace

richmondfc.com.au

Each year every AFL club walks away from draft day hoping that they have drafted a future champion (or two).

Drafting is not an exact science and there obviously are elements of risk involved in every selection. Each draft pick is a huge investment in time and money, not only for the hours put into each player’s selection, but also covering the development of them both fitness-wise and as players – from skill development to learning what the game’s all about at the highest level.
All this, along with two years’ salary, makes each drafting decision crucial to a club. If you look at recent history, it takes most players coming through the draft 3-5 years to really impact the AFL scene.

Each draft pick you miss on can equate to around a five-year turnaround for the club, by the time you redraft someone to replace them.

In this article, I thought I would take a look at how our 2004 draftees have performed, now we are getting towards the end of their first full season of AFL/VFL football in ’05.

Draft selection No. 1: Brett Deledio

With the first pick in the National Draft comes huge pressure, both on the club to get the selection right and also on the player who is chosen. I think anyone who has seen Brett play over the duration of this season, would be very impressed with his progress. First-up, you need to understand that he was one of the youngest players in last year’s draft, and was only a few weeks off being eligible to play at under-18 level again this season. Imagine what sort of player he would he have been running around in the recent under-18 national championships! Brett is the only player from last year’s national draft to have played all games at senior AFL level in 2005. And, as the season has progressed, we have seen him gradually improving and gaining more confidence. Brett’s speed and ability to burst away from packs, his long kicking, including some massive torpedo punts, and his ability to take strong contested marks, makes him a very special talent. There’s still enormous development in him, and he needs to improve his work ethic, so that he can become a hard-running, link player through the middle of the ground. If Brett can keep his performance levels up over the next six weeks, the Tigers may very well have their first-ever NAB Rising Star winner.

Selection No. 4: Richard Tambling

With our second selection in the ’04 National Draft, we chose Richard Tambling. Richard had been an excitement machine right throughout his junior career, and in his first AFL pre-season he was living up to everything expected of him. The 2005 season, however, has been very frustrating for Richard as he has had injury after injury and very little continuity in his play. He has shown glimpses of brilliance in cameo senior performances, but is yet to consistently win the ball at the game’s top level. Richard is one player who will benefit greatly from another pre-season under his belt and some consistency in training and match play. The upside of this player is huge and we need to be patient and work with him to bring out his very best qualities.

Selection No. 12: Danny Meyer

Danny is a class act, both on and off the field . . . a very quiet individual, who goes about his work with very little fuss or bother. He’s extremely quick, has immaculate skills and has shown in his few senior appearances that he can handle the pace of AFL football. Danny, however, has a very immature body for AFL football and needs to develop in the gym, along with continuing to learn how to push himself on game-day, to generate more possession of the ball. When the ball is in his region, he competes as well as anyone . . . The next phase for him is to learn to get to more contests. To do so, he needs a strong fitness regime over the pre-season. Many of the 2004 draftees have not tasted AFL football, so Danny can at least say that he has already been on the big stage. With further development, he can be a classy player with the Tigers for many years to come.

Selection No. 16: Adam Pattison

If ‘Patto’ is prepared to work hard in the gym, he is going to become a ‘man mountain’ and a top-line player for the Richmond Football Club. He has a huge work ethic and his ‘motor’ allows him to run all day. Patto competes as hard as anyone, hits packs when going for marks, and shows up some of the smaller players at the Club with his second efforts at ground level. He needs to work with our assistant coaches on his skill development, as we need to get full value for the times he wins possession of the ball. Patto has been a standout at VFL level, and could easily have played more AFL games this year. But for most of the season our key-position players have stood up at senior level, which has probably restricted his opportunities. I do not have any issue with this hurting his development, as sometimes it is better to fight hard to win your position in the team, rather than have it given to you on a platter, which is happening more often these days at AFL level than ever before. Patto is going to be a centre half-forward of genuine quality, and just needs to continue to develop each part of his game.

Selection No. 20: Dean Polo

Dean found the transition from under-18 football, and living in country Victoria, to coming to a professional AFL club, and living a city lifestyle, very challenging over the pre-season and in the early stages of this year. He started his football this season with the Coburg Tigers reserves and played some solid games before finally being given the opportunity to step up to senior level with Coburg. Dean is a real competitor and a natural footballer, rather than a talented, natural athlete. It didn’t take long at senior VFL level for him to show his competitive nature, and over the past month he has been a solid contributor in the midfield with the Coburg Tigers. Dean is extremely fit and needs to use his big motor more to his advantage on game day, as he should have the capabilities of running with any player in the competition, or burning opposition players with strong, running efforts. His skill level needs improving, and he has been doing extra work with our skill development coaches to improve, particularly his kicking. It’s important for him to finish off the year on a strong note and get a solid pre-season under his belt. With the style of football that Dean needs to play to make the grade, he must have a strong body to mix it inside the packs.

Selection No. 36: Luke McGuane

It has been a wipeout year for Luke. He has had injury problems and no continuity in his football. Luke came down from Queensland as an immature 17-year-old. I say this only regarding his body shape, as he fitted into Tigerland immediately and has been a terrific clubman since his arrival. Currently, though, he still has a boy’s body. When it comes to drafting, I never worry about the size and structure of a player in relation to his weight. With the professional approach these days from all strength and conditioning coaches, I know we can put the kilos on to their frame. It is impossible, however, to replace talent. Luke showed through the practice match series that he had the ability to match it with our senior players. But a very bad fracture of the upper arm, in the early part of the season, has forced him to miss a considerable amount of football. The unfortunate aspect of this is that it’s also curbed his ability to build up his body, which has put him 12 months behind some of our other draftees. Luke has speed, plus the ability to leap and mark the football. He’s a long-term project, who has a long way to go before reaching AFL level, but he certainly shows some exciting talent.

Selection No. 52: Dean Limbach

As a later draft pick, Dean also took some time to adjust to the tempo of AFL training. The under-18 boys find it difficult to come up to four sessions a day, six days a week through the pre-season, as it is such a rise in intensity and volume to what they have been used to in the past training-wise. Dean also is lightly-framed, but has worked very hard in the gym and made some significant gains already in his body development. At pick 52 in the draft, he was a speculative selection, based on his natural speed, leap and football ‘smarts’. His fitness levels are nowhere near that of an elite athlete, and much work needs to be done to even be relatively competitive in this area. Dean also needs to improve his competitive nature, as it is difficult to make AFL football without a fighting spirit. At times, he still plays as if in the junior ranks. There is no doubting that Dean has natural talent, but eventually it will be his decision whether he is prepared to work hard enough to overcome some of his deficiencies. The ball is squarely in his court, although he will certainly receive all the assistance that our coaching staff can give him.

Many Richmond supporters also ask about the development of our second and third-year players, and question whether they have made natural improvement this season. The best answer I can give to this is that the bar has lifted and we have not been prepared to give senior games to players, unless they have had the form to deserve them. Last year, the Club decided, in the latter stages, to blood some of these young players and give them a taste of AFL football. This was the correct decision, but they also need to respect the fact that you must earn the right to play at AFL level. We have been a little unlucky at times as players such as Schulz, Moore, Hartigan, Gilmour and, of course, Rodan, have all had major injury interruptions throughout this year. Andrew Raines continues to progress in the right direction, while our two rookies – Will Thursfield and Nathan Foley – have both won promotion and had a taste of senior football this season. They will be vying for a spot on the senior list at the end of the year . . .

In general, I am pleased with the development of our players, and understand that no club “bats at 100%” through the National Draft, particularly when you decide to select deep into the draft (ie pick 30 onwards).

It’s fair to say that we have bolstered our running stocks for the future, and I believe we will have a great mobile brigade wear the Tiger uniform over the next decade.

The next area of development for us is key-position, taller players. I see Schulz and Pattison being long-term projects in this region, but we will still need to find others for long-term success.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=216650
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: How the Tiger draftees are developing in 2005 - RFC Site
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 06:20:22 PM »
Pretty hard to argue with anything Terry has said. We won't for sure for a few years yet but the RFC might have finally got a draft right. The first 4 at least look like gems. Danny Meyer is the one I'm most excited about. We all knew about Deledio's class but Meyer is also going to be all class IMO once he gets his body strength and size up to a level to consistently play AFL.

Good to hear also we're going after KPP in this year's draft. Give Gas and Chubba a couple more years as the young ones develop then bring them into the seniors.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mopsy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Once a Tiger always a Tiger
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 10:04:20 PM »

Good to hear also we're going after KPP in this year's draft. Give Gas and Chubba a couple more years as the young ones develop then bring them into the seniors.

Good to know someone is using common sense

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 01:18:30 PM »

With the first pick in the National Draft comes huge pressure, both on the club to get the selection right and also on the player who is chosen. I think anyone who has seen Brett play over the duration of this season, would be very impressed with his progress. First-up, you need to understand that he was one of the youngest players in last year’s draft, and was only a few weeks off being eligible to play at under-18 level again this season. Imagine what sort of player he would he have been running around in the recent under-18 national championships! Brett is the only player from last year’s national draft to have played all games at senior AFL level in 2005. And, as the season has progressed, we have seen him gradually improving and gaining more confidence. Brett’s speed and ability to burst away from packs, his long kicking, including some massive torpedo punts, and his ability to take strong contested marks, makes him a very special talent. There’s still enormous development in him, and he needs to improve his work ethic, so that he can become a hard-running, link player through the middle of the ground. If Brett can keep his performance levels up over the next six weeks, the Tigers may very well have their first-ever NAB Rising Star winner.

Maybe I am way off base here but I took the comment about improving the work ethic to also mean the defensive side of his game. IMO it is just as important to be quick and strong when you don't have the ball.

A "Rising Star" winner would be a bonus

Dean is a real competitor and a natural footballer, rather than a talented, natural athlete. It didn’t take long at senior VFL level for him to show his competitive nature, and over the past month he has been a solid contributor in the midfield with the Coburg Tigers

While I agree with MT about Danny Meyer it is Polo that I reckon will be the smokey and will be a good player for us.

"Natural Footballer" - there are ot that many of them going around these days and having wathed him a few times at Coburg I have to say that Tezza's assessment is spot on this kid is a natural footballer - give him time people he'll be very good for us :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 05:14:46 PM »
Maybe I am way off base here but I took the comment about improving the work ethic to also mean the defensive side of his game. IMO it is just as important to be quick and strong when you don't have the ball.

I think you're right WP about it refering to Lids  working harder on the defensive side of his game. Although after last week we could say that about 3/4 of the side  :P. I reckon it might although be about winning contested footy. Normally he's good but a couple of times last week IMO he got pushed a bit easily off the ball by a Saints opponent. A couple of more preseasons in the gym building up his strength should easily fix that.

While I agree with MT about Danny Meyer it is Polo that I reckon will be the smokey and will be a good player for us.

"Natural Footballer" - there are ot that many of them going around these days and having wathed him a few times at Coburg I have to say that Tezza's assessment is spot on this kid is a natural footballer - give him time people he'll be very good for us :thumbsup

We need more blokes with footy brains in the seniors. Looks like he won't get a senior game though until his kicking improves althiough I haven't seen enough of Polo to judge how deficient his kicking is. It just seems to be a common comment about Dean when he's talked about by the coaches.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 09:21:03 PM »
We need more blokes with footy brains in the seniors. Looks like he won't get a senior game though until his kicking improves althiough I haven't seen enough of Polo to judge how deficient his kicking is. It just seems to be a common comment about Dean when he's talked about by the coaches.

He is like alot of our blokes - misses targets when under no pressure but he aint Robinson Cursoe there  ;D

But very very clean with his hands especially in tight - alot like Foley in you want a comparison

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 12:15:28 AM »
Great read.

Quote from: Plough

you need to understand that he was one of the youngest players in last year’s draft, and was only a few weeks off being eligible to play at under-18 level again this season. Imagine what sort of player he would he have been running around in the recent under-18 national championships!

I think some people forget this. Sure, he is a decent kid but he could be very special long term. I dont think its unfair to say Griffin looks ahead of him at this stage but Lids is almost 12 months behind development wise.

Add the lean, streamline body, one of the best overhead/pack marks int he league and back braking pace and there is abit of potential.

Selection No. 4: Richard Tambling

Richard is one player who will benefit greatly from another pre-season under his belt and some consistency in training and match play. The upside of this player is huge and we need to be patient and work with him to bring out his very best qualities.

Couldn't agree more. Getting his body right and injuries aside he just seems on of those kids that needs another pre-season, at this stage.

However, must remember he was pick 4 and taken ahead of Lewis, Franklin, Messen, Williams, some pretty decent players. Must make it and big.

Selection No. 16: Adam Pattison

If ‘Patto’ is prepared to work hard in the gym, he is going to become a ‘man mountain’ and a top-line player for the Richmond Football Club.
/
Patto is going to be a centre half-forward of genuine quality, and just needs to continue to develop each part of his game.

Intersting comments by Wallace. You'd love Pattison to become a big boy. He certainly has the frame for it.

Again, intersting to here Plough state he is going to be a CHF. He takes a good mark and is fit but I picked him more as a ruckman. Im not sure if he has the abilty to be a Treadrea/Hall/Brown type - but i'd love if he did.

Dean is a real competitor and a natural footballer, rather than a talented, natural athlete. It didn’t take long at senior VFL level for him to show his competitive nature, and over the past month he has been a solid contributor in the midfield with the Coburg Tigers. Dean is extremely fit and needs to use his big motor more to his advantage on game day, as he should have the capabilities of running with any player in the competition, or burning opposition players with strong, running effort

I really like this kid. He wont become a decent player at AFL level untill his 3rd/4th season but has alot of heart and fight. You hope he develops a mature body for his size. Really important part of our future.

It has been a wipeout year for Luke. He has had injury problems and no continuity in his football. Luke came down from Queensland as an immature 17-year-old.

The unfortunate aspect of this is that it’s also curbed his ability to build up his body, which has put him 12 months behind some of our other draftees

Not good news. I never had any high hopes for this lad. I think we really wanted young Deluca at 36 but bloody Port stole him from under our no's. Many people pre-draft had him rookied if lucky and at best a very late pick.

12 months off wont help in the slightest.

Selection No. 52: Dean Limbach

There is no doubting that Dean has natural talent, but eventually it will be his decision whether he is prepared to work hard enough to overcome some of his deficiencies. The ball is squarely in his court, although he will certainly receive all the assistance that our coaching staff can give him.

Says it all really. By all accounts he has abit of swagger about him and some abilty but maybe not a great head on the lad? If he works his ass off he would be an outside chance of making it.

Many Richmond supporters also ask about the development of our second and third-year players, and question whether they have made natural improvement this season. The best answer I can give to this is that the bar has lifted and we have not been prepared to give senior games to players, unless they have had the form to deserve them. Last year, the Club decided, in the latter stages, to blood some of these young players and give them a taste of AFL football. This was the correct decision, but they also need to respect the fact that you must earn the right to play at AFL level. We have been a little unlucky at times as players such as Schulz, Moore, Hartigan, Gilmour and, of course, Rodan, have all had major injury interruptions throughout this year. Andrew Raines continues to progress in the right direction, while our two rookies – Will Thursfield and Nathan Foley – have both won promotion and had a taste of senior football this season. They will be vying for a spot on the senior list at the end of the year . . .

Pretty reassuring Wallce has a good grasping of the list after reading that.

I like young Hartigan, Raines Schultz, Jackson and co. but in reailty only a handful of them will make it. Fingers crossed. Plough seems realistic about it.

It’s fair to say that we have bolstered our running stocks for the future, and I believe we will have a great mobile brigade wear the Tiger uniform over the next decade.

The next area of development for us is key-position, taller players. I see Schulz and Pattison being long-term projects in this region, but we will still need to find others for long-term success.

Very happy to read this.

We do look like we have the foundation for a potential West Coast like midfeild pack. Schultz & Patto are decent but some KPP must be targeted with our first 2 or 3 picks. Wallace admits the point of the list which must be bolstered.

Overall a very reasuring read.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 12:27:03 AM by Captain__Blood »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2005, 03:37:35 AM »
Quote from: Plough

I think some people forget this. Sure, he is a decent kid but he could be very special long term. I dont think its unfair to say Griffin looks ahead of him at this stage but Lids is almost 12 months behind development wise.

Spot on CB. Lids age wise is now roughly where Griffin was at the start of the season. Both look like being top liners mind you so neither us nor the doggies got it wrong IMO. It's just moronic Hawk fans on BF who bag Deledio because they didn't get him  ::).

However, must remember he was pick 4 and taken ahead of Lewis, Franklin, Messen, Williams, some pretty decent players. Must make it and big.

It'll take 4-5 years to see which club did the best from the 2004 draft. As you mentioned CB injuries have stuffed up Tambo's year. He just couldn't get a run of matches going all year to build confidence and form. Hopefully he'll have better luck next year as his body becomes use to the workload required at AFL level. 

Again, intersting to here Plough state he is going to be a CHF. He takes a good mark and is fit but I picked him more as a ruckman. Im not sure if he has the abilty to be a Treadrea/Hall/Brown type - but i'd love if he did.

Greg Miller mentioned at one time that they see him as eventually playing a role similar to Lade from Port Adelaide swapping between the forward line and ruck.

Not good news. I never had any high hopes for this lad. I think we really wanted young Deluca at 36 but bloody Port stole him from under our no's. Many people pre-draft had him rookied if lucky and at best a very late pick.

12 months off wont help in the slightest.

McGuane was named best on ground for Coburg reserves yesterday in his first game back from a broken upper arm so that's a positive sign.

We probably could have got Deluca if we had traded Zantuck to the bombers during trade week as the deal involved us getting a pick in the low 30's in exchange for Zantuck + our pick 36. However Miller went through the wrong door on purpose to shove it up Sheedy lol.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 07:07:00 AM »
dont know what the big fuss about deluca is, yet to see him set th eworld on fire and we have rucks as it is. mguane though could just be one of those special players who come through, he is a project and his broken arm set him back but next yr after another preseason would love to see this kid develop

and on griffin, he is a good kid, but i still dont rate him as good as lids. lids showed again he is special. loved his judd like break away from the pacjk abd spot on left foot spear right to richos chest! take not sugar! lids is going to be the complete package esp when his body matures

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 03:11:04 PM »
and on griffin, he is a good kid, but i still dont rate him as good as lids. lids showed again he is special. loved his judd like break away from the pacjk abd spot on left foot spear right to richos chest! take not sugar! lids is going to be the complete package esp when his body matures

Agree X. Lids is more versatile and has pace to burn. He will be able to play virtually anywhere.

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 03:28:57 PM »

Watch a reply of the Doggies last week.

I wouldnt swap Griffin for Lids but i'd take him above everyone else in that draft.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 03:32:51 PM »

I don't buy this at all. To say that Deledio is 12 months behind Griffen, or that Deledio has 12 months up his sleeve is wrong in my opinion. This is making a very simplistic assumption that learning to play league football approaches some piecewise linear function of 'development' vs. time, that players learn a certain amount each season and then hit some age and stop learning - and our Brett is going to hit that age roughly 1 year later. Its like saying that the kid who starts school a year late has one less year to learn everything.  I would like to bet that after 5 years in the system Griffen and Deledio will both have learnt a lot, and the better player will be the better coached player and the one with the best support around them. That could be either one of them.

The only merit I can see in that argument is physically - a young footballers body will develop quickest between 17 and 22, but Griffen looks almost ready-made in that respect.

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 03:46:22 PM »

I don't buy this at all.

Then you fail to understand the bottom/top age aspect of drafting which is key.

The only merit I can see in that argument is physically - a young footballers body will develop quickest between 17 and 22, but Griffen looks almost ready-made in that respect.

Agree.

250 game player, future captain.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 03:58:09 PM »

I don't buy this at all.

Then you fail to understand the bottom/top age aspect of drafting which is key.

Well I guess Hawthorn fans can take solace in the fact that Hodge (good footballer) may not be within a bull's roar of Chris Judd (superstar) as a footballer right now, but he is nearly one year behind him in his development.

Re-read my post. You can't bring this down to numbers. That extra year is largely insignificant other than from a physical perspective. Judd vs. Hodge is a classic example of two good young draftees, one well coached and playing amongst very good midfielders vs. one poorly coached in a very average side. That extra year hasn't done Hodge a great deal of good and aint gonna do Hodge much good now.