Author Topic: Changes for the Port game?  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Changes for the Port game?
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2014, 02:14:23 PM »
Bet that baby's been dropped half a dozen times by now  :whistle

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »
I'm far from the biggest Pettard fan but you can't drop him on recent form. Good on him for getting 25 possies but I think he would be better for us playing deeper forward in a defensive 3rd tall type role and getting 10 kicks for 3 goals. A slightly better version of McGuane if you like.

Totally agree. If you are going to play him play him in the forward line.
True. His iffy disposal can kill us in the backline. He is a handy defensive forward though. Knows how to kick a goal too.
Not our worst at all this year.
At least he puts his body on the line. Some of his teammates should follow his example....

He is a frustrating player. His goal in the third quarter was good. He made the most of an appalling kick into the forward line and used some guile to win a free. He had the equal most tackles in the game and did put his body on the line. On the other hand he had the most clangers and his disposal is at best average. He is definitely not the future but at the moment has his nose in front of other average players at the club.

the claw

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2014, 07:11:44 PM »
im with tony on morris.
regardless of deficienmcies and wp is correct about morris's deficiencies, morris remains by some margin the best bet we have to play on opposition quick sml fwds.

on arnot geez the gulf between the performance level of thomas and arnot is that huge it just cant be ignored. yet id be happy to see arnot get another game or two at thomas or jacksons  expense. but who in their right mind could blame the club if they did cut arnot this week.
its the same with ohanlon personally dont see the point in playing a bloke i wouid cut and would be happy to see mcbean get a run. in saying that have a good look at ohanlon over 3 or 4 weeks and give him a proper opportunity. its not as if winning is the priority right now is it.
the forgotten player i would really like to see get a few games is helbig of hb.

ive given up posting sides mainly because its pointless the club has become inflexible and its a waste of time even conjecturing who could come in.

athe side i would like to see but i know it wont happen is
b/ grimes - chaplin - morris
hb/ helbig - rance - dea.

c/ deledio - vlastuin - foley
r/ maric - cotchin - miles.

hf/ martin - vickery - gordon/lennon
f/ lloyd/mcdonough - riewoldt - mcbean/elton.

int/ ellis - thomas/arnot/jackson - conca - edwards.

it is amazing at how few good options we have in each position.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2014, 07:43:56 PM »
Chaplin the glaring weakness.

My kingdom for an astbury

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2014, 10:13:42 PM »

on arnot geez the gulf between the performance level of thomas and arnot is that huge it just cant be ignored. yet id be happy to see arnot get another game or two at thomas or jacksons  expense. but who in their right mind could blame the club if they did cut arnot this week.

Interesting santa, don't recall Thomas ever playing in the forward pocket.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2014, 10:22:49 PM »

Someone that gives his all is fantastic in Petterd's case but if you are not up to it, it doesn't really matter. The Dees got rid of him because he is no good when they we're even worse.  A good trier or a good clubman will only get you so far.
As for Morris, I simply think you are wrong. On one hand you talk about Petterd 'giving his all' and then you want to rubbish Morris who gives more than anyone in a Tigers jumper. What the??
And don't even get me started on your opinion on Thomas. He has his deficiencies like Petterd but I don't think you can argue he gives his all.
Let's be honest, they are all pathetic baring a few. Including the coaching staff.  :thumbsup

ATM I would be playing all of them, Petterd, Morris (if his shoulder wasn't stuffed - he should actually be in rehab if the club had half a brain) and Thomas, and my reason is simple - the coaching group have created the current situation by gifting games to favourites, downhill skiers and non-triers.  The whole list needs to learn and understand that the not-negotiable Hardwick banged on about when he was first appointed is set in stone and unless you go when it's your turn then you don't play - pure and simple.    Make that simple edict truly not-negotiable and stick by it so that then, when the hunger returns, you will find the Petterds et al will be forced from the team by better performing players and that will mean we are playing confident winning football again.  There is no fear among our best 22 of playing for their position in the team or reward for the younger players having a dip in the 2's and that leads exactly to where we are now - a lazy, disinterested team bereft of any heart or confidence.
Good post Smoke

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2014, 09:51:41 PM »
In the Mix - Round 17
Nathan Schmook
afl.com.au
8 July 2014

RICHMOND
Defender Steven Morris has served his one-match suspension for a pair of high bumps and is available to return against Port Adelaide on Sunday. The Tigers should also be boosted by the return of midfielder Matt Thomas, who was a late withdrawal last week with Achilles tendon soreness, as well as Nick Vlastuin, who missed with a corked thigh. In the VFL, mature-age recruit Sam Lloyd is fighting hard to regain his place in the forward line. He booted two goals at the weekend and was among the Tigers' best players, winning 15 of his 20 possessions in contests. Tall forward Liam McBean booted five goals, while midfielder Matt McDonough finished with two goals and 24 possessions. Prized draftee Ben Lennon was played forward, tackled well and should regain his spot at AFL level in the coming weeks.     

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-08/in-the-mix-round-17

the claw

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2014, 10:59:55 PM »

pppfffffttt as bad as hes been hes a better player than arsebury. blind faith gotta love it.
you would think by some comments astbury has taken the league by storm. what we have had is barely passable.  hes still a promising prospect but hes done nothing to say he will be anything above average.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2014, 11:25:46 PM »

pppfffffttt as bad as hes been hes a better player than arsebury. blind faith gotta love it.
you would think by some comments astbury has taken the league by storm. what we have had is barely passable.  hes still a promising prospect but hes done nothing to say he will be anything above average.

Astbury has had a much better year than Chaplin even with injury and has the benefit of youth.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2014, 11:58:54 PM »
McGuane had better years down back than the one Chaplin's having.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2014, 06:20:48 AM »

Rubbish.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2014, 08:13:30 AM »

Disagree completely. Astbury this year has shown what he can do. Until he was injured he had played exceptionally well.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2014, 11:06:37 AM »

Crap post from you, Clawski. Whats with the 'Arseberry' crack? He was our best defender before he went down, and much better than Chaplin. You bang on about how we need a big KPD to play on Gorilla forwards, but then you cant even acknowledge when we have one with good form.
And dont come out with the 'geez you'd think he was the best defender in the league' poo, because no one i saying that.