Author Topic: Tigers enter race for Cameron Ling (Herald-Sun)  (Read 2826 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers enter race for Cameron Ling (Herald-Sun)
« on: July 16, 2014, 05:08:01 AM »
RICHMOND has entered the race to secure the services of Cameron Ling who is expected to announce shortly he will forego a promising media career and enter the coaching ranks.

He has already been spoken to by several Victorian-based clubs, with Melbourne, the Tigers and Geelong at the head of the queue for his services to become an assistant coach.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/cameron-lings-handling-of-a-mick-malthouse-spray-proves-he-is-equipped-to-handle-coaching/story-fndv8t7m-1226990156769

dwaino

Re: Tigers enter race for Cameron Ling (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 05:51:32 AM »
Inb4 we don't get him.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 07:35:58 AM »
"Look we made a play for Cameron Ling but unfortunately he went elsewhere, but we are happy with tom Williams and nick maxwell to fill that role"
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline hyperlite

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 10:45:49 AM »
I think Cameron Ling would be a good assistant coach, but more importantly a great mentor.

Development is the major area where i think we need to improve and spend the most $$ on. Leadership and handling pressure being the key areas of this.

I don't need to list Ling's achievements, they are well known.

Ling would be great for someone like cotch, who i think has struggled with the added pressure of the captaincy this year.

He'd be a great role model and mentor for any football club captain and i think cotch and the leadership group would benefit enormously from him.

The big question is whether Ling would want to join a club like richmond.

There is probably the fairytale for him to coach geelong again so whether or not we get him will depend on if the cats want him o get him first.

Who is the plan B or plan C after Ling. Voss? Hayes?

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:03:26 AM »
If Geelong are also in the hunt for him then I think we have bugger all chance. Its a shame because I think he would be a good asset to the club. We need to invest in our coaches and development heavily this off season.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »
"Look we made a play for Cameron Ling but unfortunately he went elsewhere, but we are happy with tom Williams and nick maxwell to fill that role"
Tom Williams.  :lol
The club that keeps giving.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 11:18:59 AM »
If Geelong are also in the hunt for him then I think we have bugger all chance. Its a shame because I think he would be a good asset to the club. We need to invest in our coaches and development heavily this off season.
Don't know if that would be the case Stripes. He has too many mates there still playing. Not sure how that dynamic would work for an Assistant. If he is after a challenge, then what better place to go than the RFC.  :thumbsup

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
I can't stand the bloke
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 11:31:48 AM »
He'd be an assistant coach or similar for goodness sake. They get stuff all credit unlike the players and head coach, so premiership glory I don't think would be a huge factor. Doubt he'd be too concerned about RFC's ladder position in terms of looking through his options.

dwaino

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 12:37:10 PM »
How's our ranga quota going?

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »
How's our ranga quota going?

Way too many, if one come in one has to go out (hello Jacko)

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 07:00:41 PM »
I think Cameron Ling would be a good assistant coach, but more importantly a great mentor.

Development is the major area where i think we need to improve and spend the most $$ on. Leadership and handling pressure being the key areas of this.

I don't need to list Ling's achievements, they are well known.

Ling would be great for someone like cotch, who i think has struggled with the added pressure of the captaincy this year.

He'd be a great role model and mentor for any football club captain and i think cotch and the leadership group would benefit enormously from him.

The thing that still stands out to me is when Ling was commentating during our game against Geelong and Selwood was bleeding.
Ling was all over it early, saying that Richmond players, particularly Cotchin, should have drawn it to the umpire's attention.
His reasoning was that Selwood is the captain, one of their best clutch players and the driving force for their team.
Sure enough, straight after he said it, Selwood kicked the team lifting goal that won them the game.
I thought at the time - if the players are not switched on enough, why isn't the message coming from the coaches via the runner?

The point is that even if the umpire knows (as he did) you can force the blood rule by reminding the umpire that the rule was bought in because of AIDS and he is now responsible and you are refusing to continue while a bleeding player remains on the field or at the least that you are filing a complaint to the AFL about duty of care. 

If Ling was an assistant coach he would bring that degree of switched-on, game-winning smarts to the on-ball brigade.
One game he well could have won for us this year against a top four side just from that single incident.

Would Lenny have done the same? Probably not, he's too much of a nice guy.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 07:45:53 PM »

If Ling was an assistant coach he would bring that degree of switched-on, game-winning smarts to the on-ball brigade.
One game he well could have won for us this year against a top four side just from that

Pull the other one, talk about stretching to prove a point

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 10:26:22 PM »
Dont think Lids il be to wrapt ;D

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 10:50:07 PM »
I doubt Lingy will go to Geelong. He knows most coaches have to get a broad apprenticeship so he will go somehwre else like Leppitsch did. Maybe we will get him