Author Topic: Hardwick adds voice to calls for shorter season (afl site)  (Read 2516 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick adds voice to calls for shorter season (afl site)
« on: July 22, 2014, 12:42:58 PM »
Hardwick adds voice to calls for shorter season
Matt Thompson 
afl.com.au
July 22, 2014 11:39 AM

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick has joined the call for the season to be shortened but concedes it's unlikely.

His comments follow a similar call from North Melbourne president James Brayshaw for the season to be reduced to 20 rounds.

Hardwick says the current 22-game season is too long.

"I personally think it is, I don't think there's a sport as harsh and as gruelling as ours that asks our players to do an incredible amount of work," he told reporters on Tuesday. 

"We can keep having the argument, but the reality is the 22 games are here to stay.

Hardwick acknowledged broadcasters wouldn't be keen on reducing the number of games.

"I don't think they're going to be too keen to give the games back," he said.

"I think the product is a really good product, it's just how long that product goes for is probably the big one.

"Twenty rounds, that's probably a good result."

Having claimed their biggest scalp of the season over Port Adelaide before their week off, the Tigers will be looking to build on a three-game winning streak when they travel to play West Coast.

Reece Conca and Ben Lennon are expected to be available for selection while Shaun Grigg is likely to play in the VFL.

After failing to maintain the momentum from their 2013 campaign, Hardwick insists there's still more to be gained from this season.

"We'll play the year out accordingly. It's no good preparing for next year, when we're still playing for this year as far as we're concerned," he said. 

"We've got to continue to get wins on the board, continue to earn respect of our fans back because we've been really disappointing."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-22/hardwick-wants-fewer-games

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Hardwick adds voice to calls for shorter season (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 01:13:39 PM »
how bout everyone plays everyone once and its fair?

what a radical concept

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 02:27:03 PM »
AFL players are a bunch of softies.  NRL players play a brutal Origin game on the Wednesday and back up for their club on the Friday/Saturday/Sunday.  European soccer teams do the same for Europe/EPL/FA Cup etc.

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 03:17:30 PM »
Damien is more than welcome to end his season now if he wants. Bring in an interim coach till we find a real one for next year.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Online cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 03:18:52 PM »
$ talks

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 03:25:13 PM »

AFL players are a bunch of softies.  NRL players play a brutal Origin game on the Wednesday and back up for their club on the Friday/Saturday/Sunday.  European soccer teams do the same for Europe/EPL/FA Cup etc.

Agree, softcox.
Harriet O'bama Badadadada La Bomba reckons they could play 30 games a year, not surprisingly, no-one backed him up. The one time he wasn't being a flog.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 03:28:45 PM »

Which is why i can count the afl players i respect on one hand.

Bright side is, if the season is shorter, so is Dimmers tenure
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 03:43:59 PM »
Solutions simple - 18 teams playeach other once  + 3 set groups of 6 who play each other twice. 17 + 5 = 22. Same draw every year.

V.I.P (Victoria's (most) Important Propping (up the comp.)) Group

Richmond   
Collingwood 
Essendon
Carlton
Hawthorn
Geelong

Provincial Group

Adelaide
Port
Fremantle
West Coast
Sydney
Brisbane

Leftovers/WGAF /Crowds need not apply Group

GWS
Gold Coast
North
Melbourne
Footscray
St.Kilda

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 06:04:16 PM »
Don't NBA players play 2-3 times a week for months and play All star games although not at full on intensity.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 06:47:35 PM »
We all want to work less hours dimma but most of us have the self respect to avoid whinging in public in front of the people who pay YOUR STUFFING SALARY.
All of this while doing a crap job.
Wish I had this luxury at work.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 07:23:29 PM »
Baseball is a 162 game season, ice hockey is 84, American football is only 16.However, comparing sports to each other is like comparing apples with oranges. Each sport has differing levels of intensity. The only reason why I would advocate for a shorter season would be to help fill the stadiums a bit more by creating less supply.

tony_montana

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 10:07:48 PM »
Play each other once or twice no inbetweens. The competition is compromised in its current state and a big joke tbh.

dwaino

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 10:38:56 PM »
Play each other once or twice no inbetweens. The competition is compromised in its current state and a big joke tbh.

I like the idea of once and rotating from home and away each year, like the NFL. 22 round season is great if your team is doing well, but there are way too many dead rubbers past mid season currently.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 07:06:06 AM »
I know it was the press that asked the question and he is entitled to a view

But struth to says this "I don't think there's a sport as harsh and as gruelling as ours that asks our players to do an incredible amount of work," is a really naοve and foolish statement to make. As GR12 said "apples & oranges"
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 09:40:56 AM »
I just like watching footy. Id prefer 44 rounds plus 4 weeks of finals and 4 weeks holiday.