Author Topic: Vickery cops 4 weeks [updated]  (Read 5830 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: What will Vickery cop from the MRP?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 09:53:37 AM »
Cox has been elbowing his opponent in the guts just before the contest for his whole career. How many times have you seen him win tap outs while his opponent is cramping in the background. He gets away with it because they never call ruck infringements so early in a ruck contest.
Tonight it was his turn. He finally got what he deserved. I think you will find that if Cox does actually play another game that he will not be elbowing his opponent in the guts anymore. That is the point. Cox kept doing it because everyone let him. Someone should have got him earlier.
Good on Vickery for chanelling his inner Jack Dyer and putting an end to Cox's dirty ruck tactics.

The retaliator unfortunately always gets the punishment- 5 weeks

Spot on.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2014, 11:06:07 AM »
5 weeks.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2014, 01:37:42 PM »
He could probably plead insanity and get off     :lol

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2014, 01:39:16 PM »
Well done Tyrone. Well worth the suspension as cox is a wanker

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2014, 01:53:11 PM »
Cox has been elbowing his opponent in the guts just before the contest for his whole career. How many times have you seen him win tap outs while his opponent is cramping in the background. He gets away with it because they never call ruck infringements so early in a ruck contest.
Tonight it was his turn. He finally got what he deserved. I think you will find that if Cox does actually play another game that he will not be elbowing his opponent in the guts anymore. That is the point. Cox kept doing it because everyone let him. Someone should have got him earlier.
Good on Vickery for chanelling his inner Jack Dyer and putting an end to Cox's dirty ruck tactics.

The retaliator unfortunately always gets the punishment- 5 weeks

Spot on.

x3
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2014, 05:26:05 PM »
No structural damage for Cox: Eagles
Peter Ryan with AAP 
afl.com.au
July 26, 2014 1:28 PM

WEST Coast ruckman Dean Cox has suffered no structural damage after being knocked out when struck on the jaw by Richmond's Ty Vickery during Friday night's game at Paterson's Stadium.

Cox, who announced during the week he was to retire at the end of the year, was felled in a ruck contest in the second quarter and was subbed out of the game with concussion.

Vickery was reported for his part in the incident and was reported to be remorseful for his actions after the game.

West Coast assistant coach Brady Rawlings told Sportstalk on ABC Perth radio that Cox had suffered no more than concussion.

"Structurally he is OK, just the concussion last night is all he got away with," Rawlings said.

The Eagles were obviously disappointed with the incident but have remained tight-lipped about their reaction.

[It's] just disappointing to be losing a ruckman during the second quarter and lose him for the rest of the game," Rawlings said.

"Obviously it is not ideal when you have got someone sitting on the bench due to an incident like that."

Richmond football manager Dan Richardson told ABC Grandstand that Vickery was "obviously a bit remorseful for the fact that Dean had gone down the way he had, and I don't think any player goes out to see an opponent hurt like that."

He said the club would support Vickery despite widespread condemnation of his actions, including at the ground from irate West Coast fans.

"You get around your teammates in that situation. Whether or not you have done the right thing or the wrong thing you stick by your teammates and we'll do that as a footy club," Richardson said.

He said the club had been pleased with Vickery's past month of football after an ordinary start to the season. He said the club wanted Vickery to be hard in his attack on the ball.

"We're encouraging Ty to play with more aggression and I think he has done that, but obviously incidents like that aren't the type of aggression you encourage either," Richardson said.

He said the club would be in contact with the AFL later on Saturday to get a feel for their reaction to the Vickery incident, but he would not comment on whether he thought Vickery should be suspended.

Richardson said ideally the tall forward's fate would be known earlier than Monday but he understood there were many aspects to consider in trying to fast-track such decisions.

Last Monday, the AFL said it had reminded clubs to be careful when speaking publicly about incidents that would come under Match Review Panel scrutiny, however it had no plans to move hearings or Match Review Panel findings to the weekend.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-26/no-structural-damage-for-cox

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond's Vickery faces fan backlash (Ninemsn)
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2014, 05:27:22 PM »
Richmond's Vickery faces fan backlash
Greg Buckle
WWOS.ninemsn.com.au
14:51 AEST Sat Jul 26 2014

Dermott Brereton says he would've taken matters into his own hands if he was confronted by an angry fan like Richmond's Ty Vickery was on Friday night.

Vickery decked West Coast's six-time All-Australian ruckman All-Australian Dean Cox at a boundary throw-in during the AFL round-18 clash at Patersons Stadium, prompting a massive outpouring of anger from the pro-Eagles crowd.

Two fans yelled at Vickery from only a metre or two away as the Richmond big man went to the bench during the match.

Former Hawthorn star Brereton said he despised seeing fans get in players' faces.

"If I'd have been Tyrone Vickery and I'd have run to the bench and a bloke leant over like that, I'd have grabbed him by the beard and dragged him onto the ground," Brereton told Melbourne's Radio SEN on Saturday.

"I despise that. That is guttural.

"It is zoo-like. You can't let people be vigilantes and take the law into their own hands and decide to get past everybody else in their seats and go and take their own form of vengeance in terms of spiteful retribution verbally over the fence."

Richmond captain Trent Cotchin said the crowd's anger had inspired the Tigers.

"As loud as the West Coast crowd was, you sort of thrive on that," Cotchin told Radio SEN.

"You love the fact that the opposition supporters are starting to show some real hatred for you.

"It was like 'we've sort of got them here'.

"They were just that focussed on all the spotfires that were popping up on the field more than the game and I think that's the little mental edge that you're looking for."

Richmond great and television commentator Matthew Richardson said the crowd's behaviour was disgraceful.

"On the boundary line at halftime, I was having a bit of a joke with them," Richardson told Radio 3AW.

"But there were people in the crowd losing their marbles and it was ugly.

"There were a lot of kids around and I thought it was a disgrace, some of the things that were said.

"The benches there at Subi, you can lean right over. It was a bit unsavoury."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8880852

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 05:34:27 PM »
Typical WA wankers. They're the supporters who like to boo opposition players who get stretchered off if I remember correctly.

Hope the MRP takes a look at Cox's elbow.

Being a Richmond player Vickery will get 5 weeks for intentional/high/high.

Should be reckless/high/medium IMO. Ain't his fault Cox can't take a punch. See the way Robinson punched Taylor Adams? Like G Whately commented, he's lucky Adams can take a punch or he'd have gotten more than two weeks...

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 06:05:33 PM »
Low level contact. (cox went down like a brazilian in the World cup)

Eyes were on the ball the entire time (lessen the overall intent)

Contact was made with the wrist and closed hand, not fist.

2 weeks. ;D
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2014, 06:20:40 PM »

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2014, 07:09:39 PM »
Some perspective from Brereton at the end of the article:

July 26, 2014 - 2:47PM

Daniel Cherny
Sports reporter

The Age

Tyrone Vickery should come clean and immediately apologise for his crude hit on Dean Cox, in the opinion of former Brisbane Lions coach Michael Voss.

Tiger ruckman Vickery will almost certainly come under the close eye of the match review panel for his indiscriminate round arm on retiring West Coast opponent Cox at a boundary throw-in late in the second quarter of Richmond's victory over the Eagles at Patersons Stadium on Friday night.

Cox was momentarily knocked out, before being assisted off the ground by Eagles' medical staff. He did not rejoin the action following the incident.

Voss suggested that a hasty mea culpa would significantly boost Vickery's public perception.

"I would love for him to come out today, not tomorrow, not Monday and write an apology and say, 'I did the wrong thing, that is not an act that we stand for, I wish it didn't happen, I really apologise to Dean Cox, I know how [the game] was to him," Voss said on radio SEN on Saturday

"I think he can really win back some credits here if he gets on the front foot immediately and fronts the media and says I did the wrong thing."

Richmond captain Trent Cotchin refused to be drawn into the specific incident, but supported his teammate's aggression.

"I think the thing with Ty is we love him playing on the edge. His best games this year have been when he's most physical," Cotchin said on SEN.

Vickery's Tiger ruck partner Ivan Maric indicated that he too was unable to comment on the strike, but advocated the importance of a physical presence for ruckmen. 

"When you're in the ruck you're constantly elbowing and bumping, which we love as ruckman," Maric told radio 3AW.

Cotchin and Maric's reluctance to discuss the matter comes after AFL football operations manager Mark Evans indicated earlier in the week that clubs had been sent a memo reminding them not to make public comments about incidents likely to be assessed by the match review panel.

The letter came following comments made by North Melbourne's Drew Petrie and his coach Brad Scott in the days following Petrie's scuffle with Hawthorn backman Brian Lake during their round-16 clash. That game was also on a Friday night and prompted Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson to suggest incidents in Friday night match's be dealt with prior to the standard match review panel day of Monday - an idea that was all but dismissed by Evans.

A number of AFL players took to Twitter and voiced their distaste for the Vickery incident within minutes of the incident on Friday night.

Lion Claye Beams described the hit on Cox as "ordinary" while teammate Pearce Hanley labelled it "a poo act". Adelaide forward Taylor Walker called it "a disgrace".

While not willing to abrogate Vickery of responsibility, former Hawthorn champion Dermott Brereton argued that Cox had a tendency to engage in niggle at stoppages.

"How many boundary line throw-ins does Cox get in free kicks? He's the best I've seen at drawing a free kick at boundary line throw-ins. Within one hour, I could go to tape and pull out 50 boundary line throw-ins where Cox has elbowed someone in the chest, the throat, the chin," Brereton said on SEN.

"They climb all over him because they're angry at him. He draws this type of contact."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/michael-voss-calls-on-richmonds-tyrone-vickery-to-apologise-for-hit-on-dean-cox-20140726-zx5v8.html#ixzz38Z1Ra8pE

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2014, 07:20:55 PM »
A bit of sanity should prevail with the mrp declaring they're onto cox and his dirty tactics, tv your reprimanded as it was extreme provocation , anyone would have decked the idiot  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2014, 08:40:42 PM »
Should be you suck - 1
Ballerina - 3 or 4

Probably be

Limp biscuit - zip
Still a softie - 5

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2014, 08:48:56 PM »
When it first happen and we were a fair way away because it happened near centre wing and we were sitting up at the city end goals, thought you're in big trouble Ty.

Watched it on the screen and thought 3 but most likely 4 weeks.

But I reckon the Eagles contributed a fair bit to this. Of your going to constantly throw little jabs to the guts off the ball, you know little snipes then at some point there is a good chance someone is going to retaliate big time.

Not condoning as Tyrone will cop his whack but that's what happened last night. Lot of little and not so little Eagle snipers last evening
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 09:14:42 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2014, 09:05:12 PM »
Great to stick it up them and must say it runs in the ship bonner family, whining Simpson having a grizzle amazing he didn't request a roof on the new stadium while he was having a sook
Cop that e girls