Author Topic: Claw, just papering the cracks?  (Read 2108 times)

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
Re: Claw, just papering the cracks?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 09:45:22 AM »
claw offers balance

He hasn't offered anything since the win yesterday.

If we lost it would have resulted in a bombardment.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »
We were 3/4 pointsfrom llosing

One spot from making the 8

The list and coaching is not perfect

When the club wins the flag then theywill be above ccriticism. Up until then drafting one kid, trading for hampson, idolising grigg etc. Are not ideal

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 11:44:58 AM »
claw offers balance

This. Absolutely spot on.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 12:41:17 PM »

When the club wins the flag then theywill be above ccriticism. Up until then drafting one kid, trading for hampson, idolising grigg etc. Are not ideal
not about that. It's about claw saying he'd seen enough and he won't be supporting us no more

He said this only 2 weeks ago
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

the claw

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 01:39:42 PM »
claw offers balance

one first has too see the game to offer an opinion.

shouldnt need to justify what i do on weekends but every second weekend we go to rowing where my daughter currently spends an inordinate amount of time training and racing in an attempt to make the junior state team this yr. o yesterday i had to go at 10.30  spent the rest of the day at rowing and  ended up with drinks at a friends place.
some of us do have lives outside of this forum and watching footy.

now that i have watched the game this morning im happy to make comment.

first of all im happy to congratulate them. i said last week beat sydney this week having beaten the other contenders going for the 8th spot and we will earn and deserve to finish in the 8.
the game itself reminded me very much of the first game  where we got away to a good early lead and they slowly strangled us to overhaul us in the last q. that game we kicked 4 in the first and managed just 3 for the rest of the game. this time we kicked 5 in the first and managed just 5 for the rest of the game.

my concern remains that this current run,  will mean, very little will again be done to improve the list and make  the neccesary cuts that will enable us to become a top 4 side  that actually   need to happen wont happen.

in hardwicks presser he said
WEVE TURNED THE CORNER AND LAID THE FOUNDATIONS FOR SUSTAINED SUCCESS. Comments like that really concerns me. What foundations damien.
we have scraped into the 8 we lack depth and quality and remain mired in a dog fight with many clubs just to make finals.

i will repeat again. come the off season we will see what this run has done when it comes to making some hard calls,  my money is still on it papering over cracks.

making the 8 does not mean problems just magically disappear or players are suddenly good enough.

not about that. It's about claw saying he'd seen enough and he won't be supporting us no more

that is correct but i did also say the enjoyment has gone out of it for me not just the tiges but the way the game has gone and is being played and run in general.
for me it is time to move on and get my priorities in order like spending more time with my daughter and the rest of my kids on weekends.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 01:43:32 PM »
Poor thread. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 01:57:10 PM »
claw offers balance

one first has too see the game to offer an opinion.

shouldnt need to justify what i do on weekends but every second weekend we go to rowing where my daughter currently spends an inordinate amount of time training and racing in an attempt to make the junior state team this yr. o yesterday i had to go at 10.30  spent the rest of the day at rowing and  ended up with drinks at a friends place.
some of us do have lives outside of this forum and watching footy.

now that i have watched the game this morning im happy to make comment.

first of all im happy to congratulate them. i said last week beat sydney this week having beaten the other contenders going for the 8th spot and we will earn and deserve to finish in the 8.
the game itself reminded me very much of the first game  where we got away to a good early lead and they slowly strangled us to overhaul us in the last q. that game we kicked 4 in the first and managed just 3 for the rest of the game. this time we kicked 5 in the first and managed just 5 for the rest of the game.

my concern remains that this current run,  will mean, very little will again be done to improve the list and make  the neccesary cuts that will enable us to become a top 4 side  that actually   need to happen wont happen.

in hardwicks presser he said
WEVE TURNED THE CORNER AND LAID THE FOUNDATIONS FOR SUSTAINED SUCCESS. Comments like that really concerns me. What foundations damien.
we have scraped into the 8 we lack depth and quality and remain mired in a dog fight with many clubs just to make finals.

i will repeat again. come the off season we will see what this run has done when it comes to making some hard calls,  my money is still on it papering over cracks.

making the 8 does not mean problems just magically disappear or players are suddenly good enough.

that is correct but i did also say the enjoyment has gone out of it for me not just the tiges but the way the game has gone and is being played and run in general.
for me it is time to move on and get my priorities in order like spending more time with my daughter and the rest of my kids on weekends.
These comments do not have anything to do with the playing list IMHO.
The foundation he talks about is that of culture change.  The leadership group demanding excellence from one another. Playing as a team and not a group of individuals and never giving in.

That is what I think lays the foundations for sustained success.  That is why players can walk into Hawthorn and Geelong and look good whilst the same players could go to Melbourne and look hopeless.

Getting talent is a given for all recruiting departments. The trouble with you claw is you place too much importance on this and not enough on the other things that actually bring success. That is of course in IMO.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 01:58:18 PM »

Agree - save that crap for BF & PRE.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 02:00:45 PM »

:lol Having a great time trolling Port fans about Boak.  ;D

Rampstar

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 02:04:53 PM »
People are IMHO underrating the fact that this is the first time in over 30 years that they have made consecutive finals. I am as harsh as anybody on this forum when it comes to criticizing the ongoing failure but we have to give credit where its due. Im with the Doc on this, I think we are finally seeing the beginning of real cultural change at Richmond, having said that there is no doubt that the list must be improved. We need more quality players but finally since the early 1980s the environment at Richmond seems to be on the right path towards sustained success.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2014, 02:11:54 PM »

If we beat Port I'd like to see Chaplin walk up to Boak at full-time and say - "Yes I am quite enjoying my year, thanks. And you?"

People are IMHO underrating the fact that this is the first time in over 30 years that they have made consecutive finals. I am as harsh as anybody on this forum when it comes to criticizing the ongoing failure but we have to give credit where its due. Im with the Doc on this, I think we are finally seeing the beginning of real cultural change at Richmond, having said that there is no doubt that the list must be improved. We need more quality players but finally since the early 1980s the environment at Richmond seems to be on the right path towards sustained success.

Even if went all the way from here and pulled a flag out of our arse I'd like to think we'd still be looking to improve the list. We flourish when we're the hunters -  the next step is to handle being the hunted.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2014, 02:15:19 PM »
The foundation he talks about is that of culture change.  The leadership group demanding excellence from one another. Playing as a team and not a group of individuals and never giving in.

That is what I think lays the foundations for sustained success.  That is why players can walk into Hawthorn and Geelong and look good whilst the same players could go to Melbourne and look hopeless.

Getting talent is a given for all recruiting departments. The trouble with you claw is you place too much importance on this and not enough on the other things that actually bring success. That is of course in IMO.
:clapping
Excellent post  Y&BB.

It's this sort of mindset and demands for excellence that then permeates throughout the whole club effecting all departments including recruiting & development.
We have been like Melbourne ruining young careers over the years too.

Let's hope we've seen the end of Tigeritis™©® :pray once and for all & when we talk of rebuilds we are still in the top four like the cats/hawks/swans.
Theres still a lot of work ahead for the club but it's the first time I've heard this type of talk of increased standards and I like it a lot because I've been waiting to hear it for many many years.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2014, 02:16:59 PM »

If we beat Port I'd like to see Chaplin walk up to Boak at full-time and say - "Yes I am quite enjoying my year, thanks. And you?"

It's been set up beautifully. Just hope we don't have a mental let down now that we've made it.

the claw

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 02:17:56 PM »
claw offers balance

..and a few inconvenient truths....
The problem is whilst he says many truths, his judgement is not always correct and he rarely acknowledges he has been wrong. If we did what he suggests on a regular basis, nobody would want to come to play for us because the club would be seen to be impatient with no faith shown in its playing group as players would be continually shown the door. Team ethos could never develop and after all this is a team sport.
you would be hard pressed to find a post on any forum where ive called for a young  players head inside of 4 yrs. yes ive been highly critical of weaknesses and form but people have always confused this with wanting to delist.
my answer to this is you get too precious over what i call justified criticism.in fact you cant abide any sort of criticism of our players. and to top it off. when i criticise i dont just say hes crap delist i give good reasons.
most criticisms of my posting have been i dont post enough of the positives. my attitude to that is there are always plenty of posters who do that and im looking to balance out what is being said.

what have we achieved here. we remain a middling team in fact at the exact same stage last yr we were a top 6 side and have slipped to a middle 6 side scraping into finals by the skin of our teeth after what can only be described as a deplorable first 13 games.  even a lot of the wins in the winning streak were horrid.

i think what is being lost here is the club cannot cope with injuries and we had few,  and lacks depth  and real quality in some critical areas. imo i think recruiting while we have got some things right has been poor.  and list management has been ordinary.
we have many players who have been there an inordinate amount of time who need to be improved upon.
finally making the 8 doesnt change a thing for me. i said the same last yr because it was patently obvious and remains patently obvious that we have so much work to do to become a real premiership contender.

off field as far as turning the clubs fortunes around i have acknowledged the good work they have done.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2014, 02:19:16 PM »

:clapping
Excellent post  Y&BB.

It's this sort of mindset and demands for excellence that then permeates throughout the whole club effecting all departments including recruiting & development.
We have been like Melbourne ruining young careers over the years too.

Let's hope we've seen the end of Tigeritis™©® :pray once and for all & when we talk of rebuilds we are still in the top four like the cats/hawks/swans.
Theres still a lot of work ahead for the club but it's the first time I've heard this type of talk of increased standards and I like it a lot because I've been waiting to hear it for many many years.

Good clubs don't rebuild, they just constantly renovate.

- Thomas Sowell