Author Topic: Jumper storm puts Richmond CEO Brendon Gale in a spin (Adelaide Advertiser)  (Read 850 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jumper storm puts Richmond CEO Brendon Gale in a spin

MICHELANGELO RUCCI
    The Adelaide Advertiser
    September 03, 2014

RICHMOND knows exactly the pain Port Adelaide is enduring — and wonders why the jumper saga has resurfaced after the mad rush the Tigers endured in 2010 to develop a clash jumper for AFL games against the Power.

Richmond was given just four days in late May 2010 to come up with an alternative guernsey for the Port Adelaide Football Club’s 140th anniversary game at Football Park.

Then AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou telephoned Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale on the Tuesday before the Saturday afternoon game demanding the Tigers get out of their traditional black-and-yellow jumper because it clashed with the Power’s new black guernsey.

Demetriou’s penalty — if Richmond refused — was $5000 to every Tigers player wearing a jumper that annoyed the AFL.

Gale and his team at Punt Rd not only developed the “clash” jumper — that has solid yellow sides and a wider yellow sash to minimise the black on the concept — to meet the needs of the Richmond Football Club constitution, they also had a double set of jumpers delivered in record time before leaving for Adelaide on the Friday.

Those memories have Gale questioning why the jumper saga has resurfaced four years later — more so when the Tigers have worn the hastily designed clash jumper three times against the Power at Football Park without complaint from the AFL and its telecaster, in particular Channel Seven.

Gale first learned of the AFL’s ruling to force Port into its white jumper for Sunday’s elimination final at Adelaide Oval as he drove back to his office at 1.30pm on Monday and heard Power chief executive Keith Thomas’ protest on Melbourne radio.

“I couldn’t understand how a jumper we have worn since 2010 against Port Adelaide has been appropriate three times in Adelaide — and is not now,” Gale told The Advertiser on Tuesday.

“I have been given no reason (why the clash jumper is now inappropriate).”

Gale is quite prepared to sanction the Tigers reverting to their clash jumper on Sunday.

“If the AFL told us to wear that jumper, we would have ... we’d wear potato sacks,” Gale said.

“My personal view is that there is no point being precious on a jumper. Manchester United has five strips (for English and European football).

“We have three — our traditional jumper, our clash jumper and our event jumper for Dream Time games (against Essendon).

“We comply with the AFL regulations with an away jumper we wear against Essendon and Port Adelaide ... well, Port Adelaide until we were given a new directive from the AFL (on Monday).”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/jumper-storm-puts-richmond-ceo-brendon-gale-in-a-spin/story-e6frf39u-1227045695209?from=public_rss&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Jumper storm puts Richmond CEO Brendon Gale in a spin (Adelaide Advertiser)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 06:57:57 AM »
Richmond was given just four days in late May 2010 to come up with an alternative guernsey for the Port Adelaide Football Club’s 140th anniversary game at Football Park.

Then AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou telephoned Richmond chief executive Brendon Gale on the Tuesday before the Saturday afternoon game demanding the Tigers get out of their traditional black-and-yellow jumper because it clashed with the Power’s new black guernsey.

Demetriou’s penalty — if Richmond refused — was $5000 to every Tigers player wearing a jumper that annoyed the AFL.

Gale and his team at Punt Rd not only developed the “clash” jumper — that has solid yellow sides and a wider yellow sash to minimise the black on the concept — to meet the needs of the Richmond Football Club constitution, they also had a double set of jumpers delivered in record time before leaving for Adelaide on the Friday.

Four days? Benny and his team "developed the clash jumper"

Hmmm... not how I remember it. Members voted on a clash strip in the pre-season because the AFL demanded every club have one. Had 2 options (might have been 3) and what we have is what the majority of members voted on. If I had the time I'd go and find the thread about it

Perhaps they had 4 days to get it made but to take credit is well a little bit cheeky.

But I suppose it makes a good story

But I agree I am not sure why this has become an issue this week. Remember that game back in 2010, ended up being our 1st win in Dimma's tenure. Pouring rain and we had no problems working out who was who

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

dwaino

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 07:07:04 AM »
I enjoy watching port squirm over this one, and I know we have a yellow and black tradition, but I'm still a big fan of the white guernsey with yellow sash with thick black outline that did the rounds on some forums a while back. If there was a blanket rule that every team in the comp had full colour home and white (or light) away then it would alleviate these situations and probably the most fair way to do it.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 07:34:39 AM »
Enjoy your Collingwood like prison bars Port.

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:24:44 AM »
So, Port will look like Collingwood on Sunday. That will give us even more incentive to smash them. :gotigers

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 09:19:34 AM »
Screw the plastic franchise. Poo Adelaide
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 11:03:43 PM »
Rucci would be making half of it up, like he always does , stuffen amateur  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Toss of a coin resolved the last time Richmond had a jumper clash in Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 03:30:08 AM »
Toss of a coin resolved the last time Richmond had a clash of jumpers at Adelaide Oval

MICHELANGELO RUCCI
Adelaide Advertiser
September 04, 2014

IT has happened before ... and last time Richmond won a toss of the coin to keep its traditional black-and-yellow jumper for a national game on Adelaide Oval.

It was October, 1973. Richmond was the VFL premier. Glenelg had broken its 39-year drought to claim what would be — until now — the last SANFL premiership won on Adelaide Oval.

Along with WAFL champions Subiaco and Tasmanian qualifier Scottsdale, the best four club teams from Australian football’s traditional states met on Adelaide Oval from October 6-8 for the Championship of Australia title.

The problem was obvious — Richmond and Glenelg had the same jumper: Black guernsey with yellow sash.

The solution was the most practical considering — unlike Sunday’s Port Adelaide-Richmond elimination final — neither Glenelg nor Richmond could point to a higher-ranking system as is offered on the AFL premiership ladder.

Club officials tossed a coin. Richmond won the toss and kept its home (and only) match-day jumper.

“It was a double-sided coin, it had to be,” says Graham Cornes, the last-minute hero of Glenelg’s 1973 grand final triumph against North Adelaide.

Glenelg was forced to dust down its yellow training jumpers that had been packed away for two weeks — and kept the black shorts assigned to home teams.

“Horrible, just horrible ... it was a horrible jumper,” Cornes recalled on Wednesday.

“It really looked horrible.

“Not much was said. We were still celebrating a grand final win.

“It didn’t look good. But what other option was there? We had to be practical — we both had the same jumper, so someone had to change.

“But that is totally different to what is happening this time.

“There is no reason whatsoever for the AFL to have forced Port Adelaide to change from its black home guernsey.

“There is no reason why Port Adelaide had to find an alternative strip.

“Had both teams played in their usual jumpers, no one would have noticed ... no one has for the past four years.”

For the record, Richmond won the game — and the Australian title beating Subiaco in the final.

Cornes, a long-standing critic of the Port Adelaide storyline since the club earned its AFL licence in December 1994, will question why the Power chose to adopt the Magpies’ traditional black-and-white prison-bar jumper as a compromise for Sunday’s elimination final.

This option came forward on Monday evening when Port rejected the AFL suggestion it wear the club’s white away guernsey.

Cornes notes Sunday’s first AFL final at Adelaide Oval should be a moment when the Power creates new history rather than lives off the Magpies’ story.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/toss-of-a-coin-resolved-the-last-time-richmond-had-a-clash-of-jumpers-at-adelaide-oval/story-fnelctok-1227046887011